The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Baxt Lie Detector Lantern (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Does anyone have this item? I currently use my own lie detector, but the controller is too large and I'm looking for something a bit more visual. Mine does not have lights, only sound. Any reviews would be greatly appreciated.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I have had mine for about a month now and have enjoyed it. The remote is just slightly larger than the remote for my Showtech. It comes to you on velcroed on back of a clipboard, but I am using it in a psychometry routine and have it velcroed to the Magic Marker I am using. It is then used as a running gag throughout the show. I use it about 3 or 4 times at the end of my show for the burned bill routine.

It looks like a normal camping lantern, and is fairly compact. I have custom made ATA cases to transport my stand-up act, and I was releived that it fit perfectly into an open slot between some foam.

I recommend it for comedy purposes anyway.
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
The remote I use now is slightly smaller than the showtech. I don't think that this would solve that problem.

I would like to rewire the remote into a toe switch, but I don't have access to the materials.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
Randy Kappe specializes in tow switches. You might want to contact him. He helped with the initial design of the lantern.
robert_baxt
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, CA. USA
87 Posts

Profile of robert_baxt
Dear Christopher,
As the guy who's name is on the lantern, I thought the beauty of the remote was that it was absolutely rugged and could take a beating. It's just under three inches long, just under an inch and three-eighths wide, and just under a half inch deep. It's similar to car alarm buttons on car keychains.
It comes velcroed to the back of a clipboard that you read comedy questions off of (supplied), but can be easily palmed, placed in a pocket, under a belt, under your arm, or as my new favorite person Michael Dustman so geniusly suggested: stuck to a magic marker!
(Michael, please contact me for your free prize. I could kick myself for not thinking of that one!)
Toe switches that I've used have always been cumbersome in that they have to be worn throughout the show and tended to shift as you move around and are not as reliable as I'd like them to be. If that toe switch does not work, then you've just totally lost out on minues of fun and comedy that could have been in your show.
My lantern is also highly visible and loud. It flashes bright red, emits a piercing buzz, and has a compact design that is ultra rugged because it is a remanufactured actual camping lantern that can take a beating. I never want to carry a prop, and then have to lug an even heavier case around just to protect it, but that's just me!
I hope this helps!
Robert
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of ventman
I've just received my lie detector lantern. It is one of the most fantastic props that I have EVER invested in. It comes with great questions for both kids and adults. The actuator is small and easily conceiled. Big time thanks to Robert Baxt for this routine/effect...AWESOME.
Coldthorn
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Hurry up! Somebody buy something so I can get mine!!!!

:) Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2004-06-01 19:40, robert_baxt wrote:
Toe switches that I've used have always been cumbersome in that they have to be worn throughout the show and tended to shift as you move around and are not as reliable as I'd like them to be.

There are very reliable toe switches on the market (reliable enough for intelligence agencies and professional cheats to use) and there's an easy way to wear them so that there's no possiblity of movement. If you're interested, you can PM me for further info.

Regards, Larry D.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
You can also make a tummy switch connected to your belt. Just expand your belly to turn on the switch/buzzer/remote/etc.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
RyanJonPilling
View Profile
New user
Calgary, AB
35 Posts

Profile of RyanJonPilling
Just thought you folks would be interested in an opportunity to WIN this item, for only a minute's effort.

Details at http://www.magicbroadcast.com/info/contest.php

-Ryan Pilling

P.S. Thanks to Hocus-Pocus.com for sponsoring this big prize.
Playing Big - http://www.PlayingBig.net
A blog for performers about "Making Magic Out Of Tricks"
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks Ryan...great idea...though I already have Robert's wonderful Lantern...

For some reson though can't connect to the ststion (using winamp)...will try again later.

Would be happy to donate voice services.

Later

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
curtnelson
View Profile
Regular user
I found Waldo hiding behind one of my
121 Posts

Profile of curtnelson
I just bought this and used it in our "National Parks" themed Vacation Bible School. The kids LOVED it. It got a ton of laughs. And I think the adult volunteers working at VBS liked it even more, because the answers the kids' on stage gave were so funny. I asked one little girl if she liked broccoli, and she said, "No, but I've only had my mom's broccoli and she's not a very good cook." Kids are so honest.

And I was a little worried about the noise the button on the remote makes when you push it. It has a fairly loud click - not anything that would be heard in a stage presentation, but I was doing this in multiple classrooms, and with just a small group of kids, I thought they might hear it. So Robert helpfully sent me instructions on how to lessen the clicking noise.
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
I have had mine for many years and it has had heaps of use.
I had it serviced once but it has proven to be a great apparatus and always gets the laughs from kids and adults.
Mine is the earlier green one .It doesn't have that clicking noise.

Chappelly
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Baxt Lie Detector Lantern (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL