The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » I'm interested in pitching (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Hello. I am a long time member but new to this forum. I have Don Drivers Bally and Sven dvds, however the Sven one wont play part, and the Master at the Pitch Table dvd and book. I got them when I was going to try busking. My wife recently got into craft fairs and the like which I am dragged along to. Im pretty good at sleight of hand and magic and by the end of the last one had everyone there coming up to see magic. I know that performing magic and pitching are different but thought I might try my hand at it in April when my wife has another fair. I was wondering where everyone gets their sven decks, squirmals and two card monte from these days. Any other advice would also be much appreciated. I havent even made it into page two yet and have already managed to hit gold.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Loftus, Magic Makers, Trickmaster, Royal. Take your pick!

I’ve personally ordered from both loftus and magic makers. MM has nicer packaging and the free online video tutorials, but the products cost more.

Loftus is going to be the cheapest price if you are buying in bulk.
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
Hey Kyoki, best to you on your new pitching adventure.. it's a hard way to make some easy money..! To be real it's a grind but a fun one..

But just to let you know Loftus is were most get their slum.. but they are out of Svengali's completely on all pitch decks. Been out for a couple of months! I know cuz I bought the last few cases they had.. and don't know when they'll have more till new shipment arrives..

I've been making my own lately from regular decks and been also buying from another supplier..

I'll PM you with that supplier with pitch decks once I get a chance..
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
PM sent..
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Thanks for the information. Im not looking to transition into making pitching my living but who knows. Right now Im just looking to see what its like. Ive heard that its a dieing art from the other posts on this forum. Id like to experience it at least once. Where do you guys get your squirmals and two card monti. Roght now you can get double back bicycles decks off penguin for 2.48 and a deck of double facers for 5.78. that's 52 two card monti for 16 cents a piece. Is that a good deal? Im really interested in getting my hands on a squirmal to start practicing
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Trickmaster sells 2 card monte for that price and it’s cheap card stock. I’d say that’s a good price!

I’ve never sold the worm, I don’t think they do as well as they used to?
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

I was wondering if selling the two card monti on bicycle stock vs a Svengali in other cheapens the Svengali in the shills eyes?
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
I was wondering if selling the two card monti on bicycle stock vs a Svengali in other cheapens the Svengali in the shills eyes?

It really doesn't make a difference.. the 2 card Monte is just a kicker. It's a freebie that pushes the marks to buy when they are right on the edge. I've used really cheap stock and makes no difference.

Just this weekend I sold out of my better factory made Svengali decks so I pitched some really Larry home made Svengali decks and they sold just as good.. they buy for all the amazing tricks they see in the pitch and if they are convinced they can do it too, its pretty much sold..

Hope this helps!
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
Ive heard that its a dieing art from the other posts on this forum. Id like to experience it at least once.

Yup! Sadly magic pitchmen are slowly disappearing and becoming part of the past.. Just in only a few years many of the big names have past on.. such as Don Driver, David Walker.. also John Cornelius here in San Antonio past away recently.. he too pitched with David Walker at the Hemisfair world fair in the late 60's.. and Johny Thompson also used to pitch with David Walker as he too recently passed away.. Also John O The Great here in San Antonio (John Wipff was his real name) and Bill Beach and Leslie Melville from the UK which posted here in the Café too passed away in recent years.. I'm sure I've missed others but..

It really is a dying art!

Also many quit the pitch as it's not as glamorous as many think!

Before you could count'em using both hands.. now I'm not sure if all you need is one hand..
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
[quote]On Dec 18, 2019, Frosty wrote: Leslie Melville from the UK which posted here in the Café too passed away in recent years../quote]

Correction on the above post.. Good to know Leslie Melville hasn't passed away..

I got the wrong info... and didn't do my research..
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
Here is Leslie working his pitch I found on YouTube..

https://youtu.be/89guTbp3UYg
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Hi Frosty. Thanks for the reply. I think I'm gonna jump on the 52 card monti. All I need to do know is find some printable instructions and envelopes. Im getting a worm from nostalgic toys. It will be here tomorrow. They call it a squirmal. Im gonna see how much I like it and if I'm any good with it. Then decide if I want to pitch it. I know I can work the Svengali decks. I still remember getting one as a kid from a pitch man.

Its sad that this is a dieing art. Im not exactly sure what made me interested on it but ive caught the bug. I like that video Frosty. It gave me some good handling ideas on working the Svengali deck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » I'm interested in pitching (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL