The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which T.T.? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
I need a TT, but I don't want to end up with a lousy obvious one. What is the best TT you all have worked with? And can you drop a link to it?
Magic Mark

"How'd you do that?" ... "Very carefully."
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
All T.T. are good,its just what you like using.
Pebkac
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Pebkac
This question is very much like asking "Which palm is best?"

The only obvious TT is one you are self-conscious about. I use a Vernet which is nothing special, other than being
durable. It is that "flesh color" which is the color of no flesh I have ever seen. It does not matter, you do not need to worry about it.

The standard audience assumption will be that your hands are clean... until you give them reason to think otherwise. And at that, subtle convincers are far stronger than a blatant showing of "Look,
my hands are empty." Any thumb tip you use will serve its purpose perfectly as long as you treat it as if it is not there.

To prove the point further, I have black friends that use the same TT I do. To say this tip contrasts with their skin color would be an understatement. During a lecture I once gave, I did a routine
using a thumbtip I painted fluorescent green. No one noticed it until I pointed it out in the explanation.

In a pinch, I have used the plastic capsules from the 25 cent vending machines in supermarkets (they usually hold some dumb plastic toy)... and they're
transparent. Many times, magical things seem obvious to us because we are aware of their mechanisms. The spectators do not have that luxury.

There is no such thing as a bad TT, only bad performances using it.

One thing I will suggest, however, is that you get both a rubber and a hard plastic TT. You will understand why you
will want both as you advance in their usage. If you have to pick just one, however, I suggest the hard plastic.
Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins.
Law enforcement was not supposed to be easy. Where it is easy, it's called a police state.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Quote:
On 2004-05-31 01:27, Dawai wrote:
All T.T. are good,it's just what you like using.
Not quite true. I've seen some real stinkers. The one that comes with the T.T. Blendo, for example, looks about as realistic Michael Jackson's nose.

There are, though, many good ones on the market. Vernet seems to be the best in my book. And they're cheap! You just can't lose.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Wayne Hackler
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hackler
Go with Vernet tips. If it's color contrast you're worried about you can do what I did. I primed mine and then mixed up some paint to match my skin tone and it's almost invisible upon casual inspection.
astoundingbruce
View Profile
Regular user
Burlington, WI (USA)
127 Posts

Profile of astoundingbruce
I don't want to disagree with Pebkac, above, but for me, personally, I prefer a soft TT. It just seems to stay on better. Of course, I have rather small hands (though not so small as to require a youth TT).

Your decision depends, in part, on what you are planning to do. You'll want a metal one to vanish a lit cigarette, for example.
“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I second Vernet but I have a few and it depends on what I want to do with them.
GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
Thanks all... I will be sure to get both a hard and soft tip and figure out what works best for me. Thanks for the advice pebkac.
Magic Mark

"How'd you do that?" ... "Very carefully."
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Go to a magic shop that has TT's out of the box so you can try before you buy. (And go outside or in good light, because TT's look different in different lighting)
nike
View Profile
New user
ri
50 Posts

Profile of nike
Depends on what you going to use it for
I like the old reliable hard Vernet myself.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
An old sage in the dark woods of the Great Chicago Forest taught me how to correctly fit a TT.

(Sorry - I'm reading Harry Potter.)

Don't put your thumb in the TT tightly but just "put it on." When you put on a TT, you should have it on only tight enough so you are able to aim your thumb downward and not have it fall off, yet loose enough that when you flick your hand it should go sailing. It's a relatively loose fit from what I expected when I started.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2004-05-30 17:11, GypsyPirate wrote:

I need a thumb tip, but I don't want to end up with a lousy obvious one... what is the best thumb tip y'all have worked with? And can you drop a link to it?

Vernet. And when it is used correctly it should never be obvious. I also suggest getting the videos (a little Lawrence Welk for ya all) A1 and A2 and A3 "rules of thumb" all 3 are excellent.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Here's a link to where I get my favorite. They don't have them listed. You have to call them and ask for them. They cost more than Vernet, but I like them much better.

http://www.magicmasters.com/store/catalog/
Oz Fan
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Oz Fan
It all depends on what you want to use. There isn't a TT that's better than the next one. It just depends on what you like. I got my tt from Magic University ( that's a club that kids can join through scholastic ). I have heard that the Close up workers tt is very good. you can get it @ http://www.penguinmagic.com

The Vernet tts are also very good from what I've heard.

Hope this helps!

-Blake-
Blake S.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I seem to like the Japanese TT. They just blend with my color. Hotrix has an excellent TT too.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which T.T.? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL