The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Halloween Wedding Reception Booking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

prodigitalmagic
View Profile
New user
West Olive Mi
48 Posts

Profile of prodigitalmagic
Hi,
I'm a magician/DJ. Other than a few PK and mind reading magic effects— well let's just say I could use some more material than I usually would on a show. I can do many card tricks. I have the hot rod that turns to red, maybe I can use some patter about blood? A TT, maybe a red silk— OK they're coming to me now, it must be this topic. Any way...GOT HELP?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes. Start now. Start reading as much as you can about the kind of magic you want to do for these parties. Forget about doing "blood" with a Hot Rod. IMHO, that makes about as much sense as doing "Stratospheres" with a patter about "Lymph, bile and blood."

Also, search this section of the forum to get some ideas. Look for references to Peter Marucci's forum so you can get over there to read some more material.

Then work up just a few presentations, staying away from bulky props and, above all, card tricks.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
224 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
Are you travelling around from table to table or doing a stage act?
Moonlit Knight
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.
113 Posts

Profile of Moonlit Knight
What direction do you intend to take when it comes to this performance? What you have described sounds like you are going for the humorous approach, using analogy within your performance. If this is what you intend, any trick will work - even “Hippity Hop Rabbits” with patter relating to people (represented by the rabbits) trying to escape from the Boogie Man. Get it? Boogie Man - you're a D.J ! Oh, never mind.

You must define how you want to present yourself and it must also be appropriate for the wedding you are booked for. Presentations, even alluding to gore, may be no more acceptable than you playing Alice Cooper’s “Roses on White Lace” from “Raise Your Fist and Yell”. But, then again, this may be perfectly acceptable— depending on the bride and groom's tastes.

So, I am in agreement with Bill Palmer in this way “Yes. Start now. Start reading as much as you can about the kind of magic you want to do for these parties.” And yes, Peter Marucci's forum has some good material. However, depending on how you wish to present yourself, doing "‘blood’ with a Hot Rod" and a ton of card tricks may be what you want— even though both “Mr. Palmer and I” may find the idea a bit absurd. Smile
"Join the dance... Follow on! With a twist of the world we go."
- Genesis "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight"
prodigitalmagic
View Profile
New user
West Olive Mi
48 Posts

Yes, thank you all for your valuable input. It is well taken rest assured. To answer some of the questions: It will be for the most part walk around and all though this is a wedding reception, it is also a Halloween costume party. I was even asked by the bride and groom to dress up in costume. I have a few PK and mentalism ideas I think I will build in that direction.

Go for the shock factor, stay away from cards and HOTROD (thanks for saving me there you were right). Use one ahead and read their minds. PK— change penny to dime in their hands, move brass rings across a table without touching them. YES, that's the direction I wish to go. A few more ideas in this area would be very helpful.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is a lot of material to work on, as it is. There is one card trick that I would recommend. It is called "The Gypsy's Curse." It is an excellent piece for this kind of thing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
You have a lot of studying to do. Also, expand your arsenal.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Of course you could do a psychotic Hot Rod with a straight razor instead of that cheap plastic crap. The line is you can't find that cheap plastic thingy so you pull out the only skinny flat thing you have - a straight razor. You draw the colors on with sharpies and go to it. Then the blood would come naturally, so eventually both sides turn red. Though not quite how you intended.

Ok, I am twisted.

Of course that would would fit nicely with some Meir Yedid Finger Vanishing where you eventually accidently lop off your pinky while swinging the razor around.

If anyone is still around, or conscious, after this, they are at least as twisted as you and you have a new friend.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
prodigitalmagic
View Profile
New user
West Olive Mi
48 Posts

Thanks for keeping me on track guys. Yeah I have a lot of work ahead. But all your help is instru- mental.

OK sorry for the pun, it slipped out. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Halloween Wedding Reception Booking (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL