The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Random Odds by Derek Ostovani (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
I have one question about this effect. Can spectators look at the history of your calculator?

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12880

Ad copy:

"This is one of those ‘event’ effects. Done well, nothing can follow it. Just walk off and become a local legend." - David Regal

"Derek took individuals methods that are incredibly strong and combined them into a single serving of awesomeness" - Ryan Shlutz

"Derek has combined a number of principles in order to coordinate an elaborate, but deceptive string of magical coincidences. It’s virtually an act in itself!" - John Bannon

"Borrow any deck, any bill, and any phone! Random Odds is a hard-hitting mentalism piece that you carry around in other people's pockets!" - Cody S. Fisher

Borrowed objects. Random numbers. Impossible coincidence. Random Odds by Derek Ostavani is a multilayered mental mystery that will blow your audience away.

Here’s what happens: A bill is borrowed from the spectator who signs it to make sure that everything is above board. The bill is left out in plain view while the spectators cell phone is borrowed. The audience tells the magician random numbers to multiply together in the phone’s calculator. Their birth year, the first three digits of their phone number, any digits that come to mind. The audience can even enter the numbers into the phone themselves. A deck of cards is shuffled in an extremely fair manner to select a generous handful of cards which are further shuffled. The spectators read out the number on the calculator as the cards are turned over, and they order of the selected cards matches the numbers multiplied by the audience. Just when your audience thinks the trick is over we remember the bill. Not only do the cards match the generated number, but they match the serial number on the bill that was borrowed at the very beginning.

Derek has worked hard to mix methods so that this is not just deceptive, but also packs a huge punch when the final climax is revealed. This isn’t just a closer, it's a show stopper for the close up and parlor performer. This is Random Odds.
oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of oscarf
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2020, Magic KL wrote:
I have one question about this effect. Can spectators look at the history of your calculator?

It's designed to be done on a spectator's borrowed iPhone, and iPhones do not have a calculator history accessible, or if the do, I don't know about it, which means no one else will either.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Can it be done with an Android.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
Could I do it without a deck of cards? say prior to hitting the equal button I write down a prediction on a business card for example,then the prediction matches the calculator and then reveal the signed dollar bill serial number, for times when I would'nt have a deck of cards on me. Would this work?
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Yes, cards are not necessary for this. It can be modular, doing with the bill, the cards etc or without
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
Ok thanks Rizzo.
Keng
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Keng
Can it be done on an Android phone?
fireisyummy
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
I enjoyed this trick a lot. Sure, I've seen everything on it before many times and I'm sure you have too, but it's all put together very nicely. I have never been a big fan of the calculator part but it does work pretty well here. Note that the phone you borrow must be an iPhone. This will not work on Android phones.

The bill part is bold and brilliant. I was sure it was a switch, but no, it just takes guts of steel.

The trick is impromptu and can be done surrounded but watch out for people under you, for example if you're standing and they're sitting.

The trick is not technically difficult but you do have to do a lot of things while pattering (memorizing and doing a move numerous times in a row) which you may not be able to do until you're really comfortable with the moves, more than is usually necessary to pull these moves off generally. Not recommended for beginners. Advanced magicians who've done this kind of stuff tens of thousands of times won't need to practice more than 3 minutes.

The teaching is very clear.

The trick is very powerful. I think you'll be happy with it. Recommended.
derekostovani
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of derekostovani
Hello guys!

I don't know about the history of the calculator, as I do not, nor have I ever owned an iphone. However, I have never had anybody try to look at the calc history. This is either because it cannot be done, they do not know how do it, or (most likely answer) they are way too stunned to even think about it. Especially because by the time the effect is over, you have moved on from the phone, and all focus is now on their bill. Also, this can be done on an android if you download the realcalc app (free); however, I believe it to be cleaner and hence stronger on an iphone. You'll find them to be the most common phones people have.
jeline
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore
150 Posts

Profile of jeline
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2020, fireisyummy wrote:
Sure, I've seen everything on it before many times and I'm sure you have too, but...

TOXIC force?
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Looks like a nice combination of TOXIC + Play it Straight Triumph + Swindle of Sorts
KristoBall
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
Does the magician handle phone at any point? I am assuming yes of course... I always feel like people will remember that. Especially if performing with friends and family. I have that problem with Inject 2.0 because people think, why did you just take my phone to type in google... I can do that myself... and assume something fishy is going on. But maybe it is hands off (or totally juatified and not just here let me open your calculator for you). Anybody know?
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
The magician handles the phone.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2020, KristoBall wrote:
Does the magician handle phone at any point? I am assuming yes of course... I always feel like people will remember that. Especially if performing with friends and family. I have that problem with Inject 2.0 because people think, why did you just take my phone to type in google... I can do that myself... and assume something fishy is going on. But maybe it is hands off (or totally juatified and not just here let me open your calculator for you). Anybody know?

There is a very detailed demo on Penguin.
Luccky
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Luccky
It seems very similar to Peter Turner take of the t**** in how to read minds by ellusionist (for the calculator, bill and prediction parts).
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
I picked this up. It turned out to be exactly what I thought it was, but still very happy with the purchase, as the thinking and the combining of the various ideas is well thought-out. And, yes, you've probably seen each of the pieces before, and as such you too can probably figure out how to do this if you really wanted to, but Derek's thinking behind this is clear and the explanation is great, and it's actually got me thinking of ways to layer in some other ideas as well. And it's just $10. Given how pricey some effects have been priced lately, this is a reasonable deal for a clever presentation that hopefully will inspire other presentation ideas as well.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2020, KristoBall wrote:

I don't want to get off topic here, but in Inject you have your spectator go to Google; and that's only for effects where you have to touch their phone ... as you know there are many effects where you never touch their phone.

Regarding Random Odds, I've been performing a very similar routine combining the Curry Swindle and TOXIO for the last 6 years.
I've never had a problem handling the spectator's phone when it comes to the calculator part of my presentation.

There are many subtleties (that I can't get into here) that I've used during my performances where me handling their phone has been justified.

Based on the reactions that I've gotten over the last 6 years of performing my version, this is a SUPER powerful effect that packs a PUNCH!
It's an unforgettable fooler mainly because of combining multiple methods.

All the best,
Greg
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2020, music wrote:
Could I do it without a deck of cards? say prior to hitting the equal button I write down a prediction on a business card for example,then the prediction matches the calculator and then reveal the signed dollar bill serial number, for times when I would'nt have a deck of cards on me. Would this work?

Music,

I think that you have to look at the dollar first. I think that it is a little more deceptive with the cards. However with the right time misdirection your method would work. I think look at the serial number as you show the signature and front and back of the bill. I would also suggest that you sign the bill and leave you website. This will give you enough time to memorize the serial number. Then place the bill to the side face down. You could then write your prediction. Place that to the side and ask for their phone. All apple phones have a glitch that you will have to do. Once you are done you can have them do the math on the calculator. This may be the time misdirection you would need.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I got this download. I’d never heard of the technique with the calculator. That alone is worth the ten bucks to me.

I’m not interested in doing the trick using a deck of cards and will therefore go the route using a business card and a bill that another individual mentioned. I’m sure that the extra layer of the cards makes this more difficult to back-track on; so my streamlined version comes with a trade-off, but I’ll try it for a while and see how it goes. It is nice to be able to add something like this which uses objects I’m already carrying daily.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Random odds is similar plot to those who are already familiar with applications for the Toxic Force. Derek did a nice job combining this with several other methods, which makes this impossible for laypersons to wrap their brains around. It's a show-stopper as a close-up routine when you want to blow your audience away. However, I cannot fathom doing this impromptu as he does. Without going into detail there's a fair amount of set-up involved that needs to be done rather quickly. The effect can be streamlined significantly by using your calculator (pre-set), the Black Door envelope (or similar), and your own deck with a short card. Those who own this will understand exactly how these changes can be applied to the original. This way, you can get into the effect quickly and yet the end result will pack a punch equally as strong.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Random Odds by Derek Ostovani (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL