The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Thinking about the three shell game (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I don't know very much about this, but I have been thinking about getting it. Is it gaffed or is it a sleight? (I know that three card monte can be either) is it difficult to perform, and is there ever a possibility of screwing up?
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
It is mostly sleight of hand. once you master the moves which shouldn't take too long it is pretty easy to do. with all magic , and anything else for that matter their is a possibility to screw up, but with practice it shouldn't be a big deal.
GSmithson
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of GSmithson
See posts (especially mine) in:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......4&18
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
It's mostly sleight. The book and video I would recommend are Tom Osbourne's book, Bob Sheets video and I have heard great things about Bob Kohler video. Oh ye and Supershells by Gary Oulette.

Steven.
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
The Three Shelled Game is performed most of the time with sleight of hand. But it can be performed gaffed also. It depends on how you want to do it.

If you use a m****t and a s***l c**e pea you will be performing it gaffed. If you do not use these items then you will be performing it with sleight of hand. I would advise you to first learn the Three Shelled Game just using sleight of hand. You can always add gaffed version later if you want to.

Here is what I would suggest to you. First, go and buy a Vernet Three Shelled Game from an online magic store. This set is cheap but really nice. I love my set and use it all the time. It will cost you only $9.00. It includes three plastic shells and two different sets of peas for you to use. This would be a cheap way to see if you like the game. If you like the game you can always buy a better and more expensive Three Shelled Game set later.

Next, I would purchase either a book and a video or DVD about the Three Shelled Game. The School for Scoundrels has books, videos, DVDs, and Three Shelled Game sets you can buy. They are one of the major resources for the Shell Game, Three-Card Monte, and Fast and Loose which is a swindle chain game.

Here are some books and videos on the Three Shell Game from The School for Scoundrels:

Books
The Three Shell Game Book - Tom Osborne - $7
Diversions for the Shell & Pea Game - Dusty Johnson - $15

Videos
Absolutely Nuts - Bob Sheets -$30
Bob Kohler’s The Golden Shells Video -$30
The Phil Cass Video - $15
Secret Seminars of Magic: Three Shell Game - $20

Go to this site for a listing of books, videos, DVDs, and Three Shelled Game sets you can buy: http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magshell.htm

I hope that this has been helpful to you.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Don't forget Frank Garcia Stars of Magic video vol 9
and Sal Piacente DVD, The Shell Game.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Neil
For the books I'd buy:
The Three Shell Game Book - Tom Osborne
Supershells - Gary Ouellet
Three Shell Game - Eddie Joseph.

Supershells alone will suffice for instructions on making a shell set, the basic moves and a cracking magical routine.
jbmagic12250
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of jbmagic12250
I recently started doing the routine and it's an easy routine to do. The sleight of hand can be mastered in one day. I have the Bob Kohler video which is great. It shows a routine that doesn't include any real gambling. I also have the Phil Cass video which I also like a lot which entails a routine that uses gambling.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Thinking about the three shell game (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL