The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Marc & Shin ROCK (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2710 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
They really did. I'm usually not a big fan of mixing mentalism and illusions, but this stack of climaxes is just beautifully scripted, built and performed IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImTStSYnh-o

Nothing that would be earth-shattering on its own, but this is a shining example of how the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts. And because the illusion confirms the prediction it doesn't give the act a magicky vibe to me, it still feels like mentalism. Superb routining and due to all the climaxes that build beautifully on one another the most spectacular act I've seen in quite a while. (And that's coming from a guy that doesn't like Marc Spelmann as a performer at all.) Bravo, Marc & Shin.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Very cool performance. And they fooled me at the end. I was expecting a real mentalist with a mullet and a spangly waistcoat, not a fake magician mentalist.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2710 Posts

Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
So did you miss the start of the video where Marc say’s he is a magician? Likewise the title of the video describes him as Magician X. Unfortunately the title also gives away the ending. As magicians go I thought it was a beautiful performance.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
I've heard more about this performance from audience members after my shows in the past week, than about any other magic performance in AGT history.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2710 Posts

Wow. That speaks for itself.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2710 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 16, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
So did you miss the start of the video where Marc say’s he is a magician? Likewise the title of the video describes him as Magician X. Unfortunately the title also gives away the ending. As magicians go I thought it was a beautiful performance.

Mark

Yeah I completely missed that. Smile To me it fees like mentalism with a piece of magic (the portrait) and an illusion to spice up the reveals. Wouldn’t you agree?
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Man this was awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
It's Marc who does the mentalism and Shin who does the magic trick.
I think these are 5 insanely tight scripted minutes of entertainment.
Whatever you call it.
Chollet
View Profile
Regular user
Don't be fooled by the fact I only have
191 Posts

Profile of Chollet
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2020, Keith Raygor wrote:
I've heard more about this performance from audience members after my shows in the past week, than about any other magic performance in AGT history.

I think this goes to show that our audiences want to be entertained above all else. All of the thought we put into "is this magic?" "is this mentalism?", while important from a character and consistency point of view – it really doesn't matter to an audience. They just want to be moved and entertained.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2710 Posts

I agree. And for my taste this act is consistent enough. As long as there is no illogical moment in the story or twist in the feel and atmosphere of the routine for the spectators you're good, apparently. In Derren's shows there also isn't a sharply defined set of skills or a consistent character he displays. Works more than fine.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I just found it a beautiful piece of theatre and whether it was magic or Mentalism never entered my head. Gave me goosebumps especially as Marc is one of the nicest most genuine guys on the planet and I’ve only met Shin a couple of times but he also came across as a really nice guy.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Marc & Shin ROCK (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL