The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » PRINTABLE SUPER JUMBO CARD BLANKS (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
I am in need of some super jumbo printable card blanks. I have found jumbo (4x6) printable card blanks but not super jumbo (8½ x 11). I also need to use roughing spray on them to make a super jumbo Invisible deck for a stage presentation. Any and all ideas welcome.

Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Lybrary.com sells card stock in large sheets. They also have instructions for printing.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I like using Epson Ultra Premium Glossy Photo Paper (8½ x 11)- two sheets glued back to back with a sheet of black tissue paper between them so they are completely opaque. If using roughing fluid on one side, use Matte finish paper for that side and glossy for the un-roughed side (smoothed with fanning powder). However, I would never consider making an entire Invisible Deck that size- too awkward to handle. Instead, I would give the large (ungimmicked) super jumbo deck to the spectators to shuffle/mix and then to choose three (or so) random free choice cards, while I use a 4x6 invisible jumbo deck to match their choices and as they turn their large cards around, I would turn my smaller cards to show that each one matches. Since I would be printing the cards myself, I would print the 4 x 6 cards with very large corner pips in the center of each card, as is sometimes done with regular size cards to make them easier to see for those with bad vision. In other words, the printing on the smaller deck would actually be the same size as the ultra jumbo deck without all the unnecessary pips. The cards showing in my current Avatar are almost that large size, printed as I described.
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2020, jimgerrish wrote:
I like using Epson Ultra Premium Glossy Photo Paper (8½ x 11)- two sheets glued back to back with a sheet of black tissue paper between them so they are completely opaque. If using roughing fluid on one side, use Matte finish paper for that side and glossy for the un-roughed side (smoothed with fanning powder). However, I would never consider making an entire Invisible Deck that size- too awkward to handle. Instead, I would give the large (ungimmicked) super jumbo deck to the spectators to shuffle/mix and then to choose three (or so) random free choice cards, while I use a 4x6 invisible jumbo deck to match their choices and as they turn their large cards around, I would turn my smaller cards to show that each one matches. Since I would be printing the cards myself, I would print the 4 x 6 cards with very large corner pips in the center of each card, as is sometimes done with regular size cards to make them easier to see for those with bad vision. In other words, the printing on the smaller deck would actually be the same size as the ultra jumbo deck without all the unnecessary pips. The cards showing in my current Avatar are almost that large size, printed as I described.

Jim,

Thanks for the reply back. I'm not going to do an entire deck, Only about 7 or 9 cards and print the faces of magicians on them. How do you glue them together? Contact photo spray? My concern is the cards won't be stiff enough. Also a concern over whether the roughing spray would interact with the ink print. What do you use for roughing spray? Didn't think about the fanning powder. Where could I get that? Where did you get the card back image in a high enough resolution for a clear 8½ x 11 print? Did you use standard card face images? Where did you get them?
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I use rubber cement to glue the cards together back to back, with black tissue in between. By "stiff enough" you mean "stiff enough for your use" which is probably different for everyone, so you would just have to try it to see if it meets your needs. I don't know of any "stiffness test" for cards. However, you could use a stiff black paper rather than tissue paper between the glued cards.

I use a light spray of Clear Krylon Workable Fixatif Spray for roughing fluid.

Fanning Powder is Zinc Stearate chemically, available from Amazon either by that name or as "Magician's Fanning Powder." Fanning Powder is also available from most magic stores.

You can scan standard card faces from jumbo cards. Scanning at 300 dpi gives you sufficiently sharp images for most sizes you can print. You are using the scanned images for your own private use so there are no copyright worries. You can also scan card backs, but I like making my own back designs for things like my Cat in the Hat Cards, for example.
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2020, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Lybrary dot com sells card stock in large sheets. They also have instructions for printing.

Is this what you were referring to?

https://www.lybrary.com/search.php?keywords=blank+cards
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Would already printed cards work for your Invisible deck.
https://www.amazon.ca/Hapros-Super-Jumbo......dHJ1ZQ==
John
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2020, John Martin wrote:
Would already printed cards work for your Invisible deck.
https://www.amazon.ca/Hapros-Super-Jumbo......dHJ1ZQ==
John

Thanks for the reply back, John. No, preprinted cards won't work as I want to print faces of magicians on them. I was hoping to find Super Jumbos with the backs pre-printed and blank faces.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
I have done similar to Jim Gerrish for my large three card monte

I created the card faces I needed in photoshop, then got those and some images of the card backs printed on photo paper at the shop at 21cm by 30cm and glued these to stiff cardboard front and back.. Glued around the edges for strength and then covered in a layer of polyurethane.

Whether this would work for a rough smooth application I don't know but these are very durable cards. Possibly another method would be needed for what you want to do.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Try embedded thin magnets for a rough-smooth substitute.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » PRINTABLE SUPER JUMBO CARD BLANKS (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL