The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Pseudo-Ethical Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wayne Hackler
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hackler
I am getting married in October of this year, and would like to do some performing at the reception, either on stage or strolling. Yes, my fiance likes the idea. It's something different. But with over 250 guests, my hope is that I may get a booking or two out of it. Is this appropriate to do at my reception? Any thoughts?
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I wouldn't do it at my wedding, but that's because I'd be doing other types of mingling. The wedding day should be a celebration of the wedding, not another opportunity to get a few gigs. If your new bride is OK with it, and you don't have a problem, I'd say sure, do an effect here or there, but the main focus should be on the marriage. Don't worry about getting gigs from it. Good luck with the married life. As they say, first comes the engagement ring, then comes the wedding ring, then comes the suffering.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Enjoy your wedding day. You and your lovely bride (aren't all brides lovely?) are the only two who can decide what will make your wedding day more fun, memorable and enjoyable -- doing a performance or not.

- Donald.

P.S. Even though I am an accomplished entertainer, I hired a friend (magician Everett Andrews) to do the show at my reception. I enjoyed just sitting back and watching!
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Unless you expect to find yourself dead broke by the end of your wedding day, don't make that day a marketing day.

Or you may start a trend. A barber gets married and cuts the hair of his guests. A car salesman sells Hondas during the reception. And a dentist extracts the teeth of his entourage, the members of the band, and his relatives before slicing the wedding cake. Hmm, not a cool trend. Smile

I'm sure you'll find other days to market and perform magic.

Leo
Manila, Philippines
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Trust me, you'll be too busy enjoying the moment and reeling with the shock of the fact that you have a WIFE and you are a HUSBAND to concentrate on anything else but your joy and giddiness. Of course it might be a good time for a linking rings trick...
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Hey Brother Wayne,

As a full-time wedding professional and minister who has assisted, facilitated and supported literally THOUSANDS of happy wedding day events, there are really only two people who can choose what is right for YOU and you one wedding day. This has to be your very own personal decision. (along with your bride to be, of course.)

That being said, my guess is that you may have little wedding day experience under you belt. PLEASE, there is No disrespect intended!

My experience is that few, if any have the incredibly necessary as well as the much needed & related experience either. It’s just the numbers.

The ‘fact of the matter’ is that most Yourself likely included) may have been to, or seen, maybe a dozen (12) weddings in your entire life (Likely less) and most, if not ALL of your wedding day experience have been as a “friend” or a “guest” and NOT the planner, facilitator or even the wedding entertainer on this most incredible personal day! (This side of the birth of your first child.)

Now I realize that you’ve already said in your post, that your wife-to-be said that it would be fine of you choose to perform, so also please understand all the wedding-day interests that will be tugging on your head and heart on this most memorable, one in a lifetime day.

YES, magic and other forms of entertainment work incredibly well as wedding day fun, and add interest and excitement to your over-all plans and amazing wedding day outcomes, though you may wish to consider “who” may be best suited to handle this task on “THIS particular day alone”.

Your very own wedding day!

Like I said, this is a personal decision and no one here can make the final decision for you and your fiancé. That alone is your right, responsibility, privilege and personal preference, though if you are genuinely ‘asking for advice’ as it appears you are… then heed well those that have gone before you on this arena.

Just so you know, whether you choose to perform or not, it is my personal held conviction that your wedding day is NOT an opportunity to meet social or business obligations. It is one important day of phenomenal significance for you and your forthcoming bride.

The rest is up to you guys alone.

Please, If I can be of personal counsel or value to you and you lovely bride to be regarding your personal wedding day plans, please count on me to encourage you with “the solution that truly best supports and assists you both in having the wedding day of your dreams.”

Please feel free to let me know how I may be of value!

I am at your service and In His Service,
Rev. Dean Hankey
http://www.SpectacularWeddings.com

PS
This is no-way to be construed as an attempt to offer you any of my professional services! I am merely helping from “one brother to another” in an area of passion and expertise when you and your bride may need it most for you ONE special day.

Remember, there are no second chances on your wedding day. There is only ONE CHANCE to make it truly spectacular! (No matter you perform or not!)

That’s all…

Enjoy your wedding day how ever you guys do that best!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
amshake
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of amshake
I have to agree with most everyone else. Not that I can say I didn't do a single trick at my reception (about 7 months ago), but don't make a plan to do so. AT least that is my opnion. You will be completely enthralled with the amazing feeling of being married, and your desire on that day will be to share that feeling with your friends and family, and not really to do magic. As well.. I think it's important to not try to mix any kind of buisness or booking into this day. It's amazing how much goes into just this one day, and it's easy to be overwhelmed. Let everyone wait on you hand and foot, and if you want magic, get a friend to do some.

ContratS!!
Magic Geek
Wayne Hackler
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hackler
Thank you all for your input, I really do appreciate it. I didn't mean that I would be doing a complete show or strolling full time, just here and there, for those that are interested. Believe me I know that there will be enough going on that day. I think I've resolved to do it for fun only, to entertain those that enjoy the art, and if something good comes of it, all the better. If not, I'm still a killer salesman. Thanks again all.
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
A suggestion: do a trick or two at the reception that conveys your love for your new bride. Magic is a unique talent that you have and if it can make your day more special, that's great. Leave the business cards at home and don't worry at all about getting any gigs out of it. Enjoy and best of luck. May you have a long and happy life in marriage and magic.

Bill
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
I agree with Bill. I may be a bit dim here but if it's your wedding then either you or your future wife must know the guests, so they know how to contact you.
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Do it for the fun but trust me when the day comes the last thing you will think of is magic. The worry of whether everything will be perfect will be overwhelming.
It probably wont be all 100% but nothing bad will happen (does it ever)_so just enjoy the day it doesn't happen that often
Wayne Hackler
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hackler
Thanks again. I've been informed that my only duties that day besides being social, is showing up and being sober. I've decided to just do it for fun and whatever will come will come. Most of the people that will be in attendance don't know that I perform magic. But all know that I'm an insurance agent.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Who said be sober??? Tell me, I'll personally kick his butt
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-06-06 09:04, wayne2241 wrote:
Most of the people that will be in attendance don't know that I perform magic. But all know that I'm an insurance agent.

At my Wedding, it was pretty clear that I was a magician, because my wife and her family made table decorations that were magic themed, and the magician we hired to entertain at the reception mentioned the fact that I was an entertainer to everyone, while performing. God bless them! It was much better to be plugged by a "competitor", than do it myself!

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I wouldn't recommend a "do-it-yourself" thing - do-it-yourselfers often convey an amateur like image, which isn't gonna help you get any bookings. It's your wedding dude, and no matter how good you are it's not going to look professional for you to be the magician at your own wedding.

If anything, hire another magician ... no shame in that, and I'd hafta say your wedding is more important than any bookings.
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I did some magic at my own wedding reception, but I wish I had done some more. Everyone wanted to see more but I was unprepared.

My situation was quiet different however. I got married in Malayisa & very few of the guests could speak any english. Also I don't speak Chinese or Malay so doing some visual magic was a good way to communicate with everyone.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
Wayne,
I was married a year and a half ago, and believe me you will be more busy than you can imagine. You simply will not have time to do magic. For my wedding, I performed at my rehearsal dinner. This allowed me to do something special for my bride-to-be as well as my freinds and family. Originally I was going to perform at the wedding but decided not to at the last minute and I'm glad I did.

Good luck and congratulations
shawn griffin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Pseudo-Ethical Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL