The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Viper Wallet 2 Vs. SUC II (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sujetom
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of sujetom
I don't have any of those, and I know Viper is a rip off, with a non authorised SUC. The only wallet I own with the SUC feature is the annihilation, and I thing there is useless (I would appreciate a private discussion about this).

But my topic is: wich one of this two is better after all: SUC or viper?

Is better the multiple possibilities that the viper provides (dispite of the price) or is better to waste less and the minimalism in the SUC (even though it hasn't got a zipper, wich I think adds some mystery to the revelations).

I'm wainting your thoughts (I now there is a good addiction to wallets here)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Well, surely if you think the Viper is a rip-off, why would you want to buy it?
I've asked to be banned
sujetom
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of sujetom
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2020, IAIN wrote:
Well, surely if you think the Viper is a rip-off, why would you want to buy it?

Well, is not something that I think, is what I've read; Mark Strivings has said that.

But that's not my point, I just want to hear the people that owns both making a comparation of wich one they prefer and wich one worth more.
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
I think the viper looks amazing, and I don't think Mark Strivings was the first to use it. (correct me if I'm wrong) I'd say the viper.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I really like the Viper, and the zipper function adds a nice layer. As to it being an unauthorized use of the SUC principle, I didn't know that and it's unfortunate. Not sure *exactly* what makes the SUC principle though. I know there were other wallets previously that did have the same general idea (The Mystic Wallet for instance). The difference was in how thing was disguised. With the official SUC, I think the thing is that it looks the same on both sides. The Viper doesn't, and addition of the zipper is somewhat different. So I'd be curious to hear what exactly constitutes the SUC, as it's a little ambiguous in this case I think.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
The Viper is amazing. One of the easiest to use and most deceptive p**k wallets ever made. The Viper does things the original SUC cannot. That’s not a criticism. The SUC is brilliant in its own right.
Mark Strivings
View Profile
V.I.P.
290 Posts

Profile of Mark Strivings
The Viper is a rip off. What comprises "SUC' is the design wherein there is invisible passage from the outside of the container to the inside and vice versa. I created this design in 1995 and sold the SUC later that year. ALL others since then (including the Mystic and many others) using this design are based on my original. And you are quite correct that the 'official' SUC design has the "binding" of sorts on both sides of the wallet/case. But the basic design (the flap that covers the invisible access) is SUC from the word go. As for the zipper function, that is also a rip off. Not of me, but if I have my information correct, that little subtlety was created by the late Roni Shaeckney in his SUC rip off.
Mark Strivings is the owner of the largest all-mentalism mail order supply business in the world, "Mental Connections", carrying materials not available anywhere else. For complete info, drop Mark a line at MarkyApril@aol.com
Joe S.
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
270 Posts

Profile of Joe S.
I own the SUC and it's fantastic. The quality is top notch!

If you want a traditional hip-pocket wallet with an SUC function, then I highly, highly recommend the Stealth Assassin Wallet. It gives you multiple peeks, a hidden index, and more. Plus... it's very well made and authorized by Mark.
bremen79
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
116 Posts

Profile of bremen79
Genuine question: How is the SUC different from the method of Barrie Richardson in "...678" published in 1974 (you can find it in Theater of the Mind)?
Francesco

"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance" Jon Stewart
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On May 28, 2020, Mark Strivings wrote:
The Viper is a rip off. What comprises "SUC' is the design wherein there is invisible passage from the outside of the container to the inside and vice versa. I created this design in 1995 and sold the SUC later that year. ALL others since then (including the Mystic and many others) using this design are based on my original. And you are quite correct that the 'official' SUC design has the "binding" of sorts on both sides of the wallet/case. But the basic design (the flap that covers the invisible access) is SUC from the word go. As for the zipper function, that is also a rip off. Not of me, but if I have my information correct, that little subtlety was created by the late Roni Shaeckney in his SUC rip off.

Okay thanks for clarifying that. I for some reason thought that the Mystic pre-dated the SUC. FWIW, the zipper on the Viper is not used in the same way as on the Mystic. Rather, it's on the inside and opens to the SUC 'Channel'. It's a real zipper compartment.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
I wasn't aware of any infringements with the Viper and SUC when I purchased it.
Having said that though and to be fair, I think it's a great product.
I personally never used the SUC feature much on any of my wallets, but I'm always glad it's there.
Really sucks to hear about the rip off aspect since I don't knowingly support theft in this community.
Takes a bit of the glow from it now.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
There are several generic ideas to which no one person can claim originality or ownership.

Mark Strivings may own the suc name. But the basic idea is much older. Tarbell Vol 4 - 1927 - slit envelope p*ek. Even then, Tarbell says this idea existed since several years. So the basic suc idea is at least 100 years old now. And as Bremen79 says Barrie in 1974 - but I'm sure there must be several others in between. It shouldn't take magic brains so long to adapt an idea to different media or materials. 1995 is too late in the day for Mark to be having THE ORIGINAL "sl*t p*ek" idea. He did make a nice wallet, though.

I respect Mark as a creator of several new ideas and do like his work.
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Thanks much
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
bremen79
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
116 Posts

Profile of bremen79
Let me go back to the original question: unless you are 100% sure of what you are buying, I would suggest you to take a plastic card wallet and build a proxy SUC to see if you can see yourself using it.
The truth is that the SUC is not for everybody and it is better to buy something you will actually use.

Personally, I have the original SUC (not the new version) and it is not my cup of tea.
Francesco

"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance" Jon Stewart
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
I have had SUC (both versions) for ages now. This wallet has been very good to me over the years.

But I do tend to agree that 'p**king out of a sl*t' is too fundamental an idea for anyone to stake claim to its originality.

Just my 2c, of course.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
SUC it and see I would say Gaz 🙂 ps it’s the secondary feature of the Viper anyway imo and an improved one
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
The simplicity of the original SUC and the cleverness of the Viper. I quite like both. Although I don’t use either very often anymore, preferring a business card p@@k these days.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
I can only speak for the SUC. I have not seen or used the Viper. The SUC is constantly in my shirt pocket. I use it regularly and I find it to be extremely deceptive. I use it both as a peek wallet and as a PW disclosure. I also carry a few other items in it as well.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Nevermind - Mark is obviously not claiming to have invented the sl*t envelope/wallet. It's the particular design that's his. Obviously.

All the best,
Dan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Viper Wallet 2 Vs. SUC II (17 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL