The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Book Ratings For Everyone!!! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Now, let me see...

-- The Art of Astonishment 1, 2. 3 – Paul Harris (10)
-- Collected Works of Alex Elmsley 1, 2 10)
-- 7 Deceptions – Luke Jermay (9) (Come on now, let's get real...)

O.K., I guess, but...

-- Paramiracles – Ted Lesely (4.5) (Huh???)
-- Cy Enfield's Entertaining Card Magic – Lewis Ganson (5) (No way!!!)
-- Card and More Card Manipulations – Jean Hugard (6) (Gimme a break!!!)
-- Card Control - Arthur Buckley (6) (OMG!!!!)
-- Dai Vernon’s Malini and His Magic – Dai Vernon (5) (Gotta be kidding!!!)
-- Mastering the Art of Magic – Eugene Burger (6.5) (Unbelieveable!!!)
-- Routined Manipulations 1, 2, and Finale – Lewis Ganson (6) (Oh come on...!!!)
-- Mental Magic – Al Baker (4) (Get outta here!!!)
-- One Man Mental and Psychic Routine – Ted Annemann (6.5) (What????!!!!)

Yikes...a classic example of casting pearls before swine!!!!

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Reviews and ratings, especially numbers without meaning, are meaningless unless we know the reviewer and their taste. Interestingly, from his ratings, I think we can determine a lot about this person and their taste. So, the first question to ask is, "Are this person's magic values in line with mine?" If so, then his list may be of use. If not, then it is like looking at a random number generator.

Brad
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
I can't believe you gave certain ratings to classic books in magic.

You gave the Art of Astonishment and Card College higher ratings than the Tamariz books.

The Art of astonishment and card college are compilations of modern close-up magic.
The Tamariz books are classic books by one of the greatest card magician's alive.
Did you actually read all those books?

just my two centavos
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
He actually did read all those book and owns them and more.Fayaad used to work at the Magic Shop(which the shop at the College of Magic) and is the best magician that I have seen.I think Brad's statement is on par with his username-Truthteller.
What maybe rattles your cage,doesn't always rattle others'.I also disagree with some ratings(ie Books of Wonder),but I can't judge for Fayaad.Scott also makes a valid point by saying that many of the books were builing blocks for say AOA.But be honest-does anyone really like Expert at the Card Table more than AOA(except probably Dai Vernon)?I personally have both but certainly prefer the amazing AOA.
AJ
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I have to agree, ratings are one person's opinion. I am glad to see you gave Cards as Weapons a 3, I personally grade that one lower. The most overpriced with no magical content book there is. Why anyone pays the exorbitant prices for that book is beyond me..However your list is fairly accurate, not everyone is ever going to agree, so go with what you personally like..My library contains 900+ magic books and I enjoy them all equally...Except Cards as Weapons..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
366 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
Rather than making a sarcastic attempt at wit, I will here ask the community for something the Café needs: polls that let the reviewer tell you what their taste is.

In other words, our reviewer here has given us a good sample: we know what he likes and what he doesn't. If we share his tastes, we pay attention to work he's seen, if we don't, we flip the electronic page.

Thus my request which I've made in various places here: when reviewing a piece of equipment, etc., the reviewer's opinion is linked to a database of stuff he or she is familiar with. In other words, I value the opinion of someone who has read lots of stuff on cards over somebody who has only one book, and I'd be curious about a person's take on a manufacturer if they've already owned other equipment.

Can I have an Amen Brothers & Sisters of the Art?

AtPG
------------

We could have been practicing!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Book Ratings For Everyone!!! (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL