The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Your favourites from Roy Walton (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Say to say it's another such thread built on an unhappy occasion, but it might be nice to use the time to celebrate Roy Walton's work.

Anybody got any favourites?

I'm going through the Conjuring Archive right now. Gotta share this little trick description: "simplified version with reverse faros"
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I like Ambitious 1234 from Cavalcade 3.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Strange Assembly is a personal favorite gem.

Overworked Card is a lovely premise.

Smiling Mule is a stone-cold classic for a reason.

Card Warp was a game-changer, obviously.

I could go on! Those books run deep.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2020, magicfish wrote:
I like Ambitious 1234 from Cavalcade 3.

One of my favorites also. Oil and Queens is another.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
This is Card School

https://youtu.be/e3WtYhNqmac
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Topper2
'Pass at Red' is a favourite, especially as it gets you into position to follow up with O.O.T.W.

I also like 'Oil and Queens', which similarly allows you to do some culling for the next trick whilst you pull our the cards needed for Oil and Queens.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Smiling Mule has got to be right up there, I reckon.
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
There is a short list in this blog
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/blog/roy-walton
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
To name some lesser-named tricks: Mission Accomplished, The Leaper Again, The X Plus One Ace Trick, The Overworked Card, The Old Fashioned Way, The Cannibal Cards, The Changeling.

I recently endeavored to REALLY study the complete works. I'm only partway through volume one. It's been a wonderful experience so far. Some people have found the books a little dry for their tastes, but once you get into actually reading them... there's some hidden gems.

Some favorite quotes I've noted:
"A perfect second deal is not required for this trick", prefacing a trick detailing 8 second deals under fire!
And:
"I am of the opinion, that it would be better for card magic, if the second deal was used more frequently and the double lift used a lot less."

Wonderful!
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2020, Kimura wrote:
Mission Accomplished... The Overworked Card

The funny thing about both of these tricks is that they went on to be standards. A lot of tricks borrow from their effect/method structures — often with little to no changes.
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
Indeed.

At the risk of sounding overly gushing - structure was a strong point in many of Roy Walton's effects. Every methodological moment set up another in a very satisfying way.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Yes! His methods work like clockwork. Sometimes even to the detriment of the effect. But his economical methods should be studied by all.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I get that vibe from Pass At Red. The method is ultimately perfect for that specific effect BUT that specific effect is a pretty hard sell. It could easily fail the Dai Vernon clarity test unless you really pushed the hell out of those initial three choices, and even then, how does it hold up compared to a straightforward Out of this World?

Now, given the method, if you can nail this then you'd have something that not a lot of people are going to be comfortable performing, ESPECIALLY given that it's a mental magic effect. It's definitely a challenge, and while I can't remember exactly, I believe the Japanese had something like a single word that was used to describe both an extreme challenge and an opportunity. I could be mistaken, but I think the word was "okonomiyaki".
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
PressureFan
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of PressureFan
Years ago I never thought anything would bump Reset from my 'A list'. Then I learned Roy Walton's Leave 'em Laughing from Roger's Thesaurus. Roger comments on Roy's ability to get so much magic out of so few sleights.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2020, PressureFan wrote:
Years ago I never thought anything would bump Reset from my 'A list'. Then I learned Roy Walton's Leave 'em Laughing from Roger's Thesaurus. Roger comments on Roy's ability to get so much magic out of so few sleights.

Excellent trick! I love the no-BS handling.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2020, Topper2 wrote:
'Pass at Red' is a favourite, especially as it gets you into position to follow up with O.O.T.W.

Quote:
On Feb 9, 2020, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
I get that vibe from Pass At Red. The method is ultimately perfect for that specific effect BUT that specific effect is a pretty hard sell. It could easily fail the Dai Vernon clarity test unless you really pushed the hell out of those initial three choices, and even then, how does it hold up compared to a straightforward Out of this World?

I do agree that the presentation could use some work, especially to ensure clarity.

But in terms of economy of method, "Pass At Red" is very clever. With the right presentation, it could be dynamite.

As well as on his Royal Road to Card Magic video, R. Paul Wilson also teaches it in his video 10X10.
kardillusions
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, AB
544 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
This may not sound like a Roy Walton trick, but I assure you that it is.
"A Scarf called Moebius"

Scott.
www.hermitmagic.com
Hermit Magic Magazine
Instagram: @hermitmagicmag
Subscribe today!
Alexander2701
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Alexander2701
My favorite is Pass at Red
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2020, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
Now, given the method, if you can nail this then you'd have something that not a lot of people are going to be comfortable performing, ESPECIALLY given that it's a mental magic effect. It's definitely a challenge, and while I can't remember exactly, I believe the Japanese had something like a single word that was used to describe both an extreme challenge and an opportunity. I could be mistaken, but I think the word was "okonomiyaki".

I can't speak Japanese, but a Google search brings back Japanese Pancake for "okonomiyaki". Maybe it's an extreme challenge to make it Smile https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okonomiyaki

I looked up Roy Walton's Leave 'em Laughing and I agree with the comments above. It's very well constructed. I like it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Your favourites from Roy Walton (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL