The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Restaurant Worker / More than magic (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
To have several steady restaurants especially this time of year is a real blessing...
But along with that comes additional responsibilty that I take upon myself. (not required by management)

Examples: Patrons not being greeted in a timely manner at the hostess station.
(If I notice this, I greet them and find the Hostess)
Patrons looking around the restaurant obviously looking for someone.
( I'll go over and ask if there is something they need, often times they do and find their waitress)
As I walk around the restaurant, I'm often mistaken for the owner/ manager and am told the ladies/ men's room needs attention or their Black Russian didn't have enough Vodka in it or it was too noisy and the couple wanted to move to a different area etc. etc. etc.

I could ignore things I see need attention or tell people I'm not the manager. In reality it is not my job. I'm paid to magically entertain, but I make it my business when I see a need that is not being addressed to address it. There was a gentleman with an empty glass looking around as I was passing by and I said, "Do you need a refill? " He said that would be great, I don't know where my waitress went. It took me one minute to get him his Pepsi. He was happy.

I'm well into my 18th consecutive year performing weekly in restaurants and I contribute that to the above. I absolutely love interacting and performing in a restaurant setting, but it's so much more than just the magic. Somtimes it's just lending an ear and small talk and the occasional refill of a soft drink.. Important caveat :I never interfere with the waitstaff, that could be a problem)
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Going that extra mile for the client, making them look good even beyond your job description, being useful in ways they are not paying for. Hmmm. I am not sure how long you think you can keep a job treating clients in this manner David.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Thank you Danny...
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
David is a guy who “Get’s It” , often times with the regulars, conversation with no magic is enjoyed by the customers as well. Well said David..
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Smile
I know there are many inquiries about working restaurants and how to's.
I felt it important to share this aspect.
Thanks for the comments.
Wesley5n1p35
View Profile
New user
Illinois
56 Posts

Profile of Wesley5n1p35
I applaud you for going the extra mile. I did a lot of restaurant work and when I started certain places wouldn’t hire me because of previous experience with former Magi. It’s been a while since I’ve done any table hoppin but keep kicking butt and representing us well!
Home of the first Resin 3d printed nail writer!
Free Shipping Worldwide
https://www.meticulousmagic.com/
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
Do you also know when the restaurant wants people out quick because they have more bookings than available tables so you don’t perform.
Also when there are quite times you might perform for a long time at the table. They might even order more drinks/coffee before you perform which is more profit for the restaurant. or tines when an order is delayed and you entertain to fill in the time?
Jonmaddgician
View Profile
New user
Perth, Western Australia
72 Posts

Profile of Jonmaddgician
This is a great post! I think definitely if you're a "regular" at a venue, then there's 2 ways about it, just like any regular patron at a venue.

1, you could act like that you're royalty, & that everyone owes you, & then you should get special treatment because you're the star of the place, & it's thanks to you that the venue has made so much money over the time you've spent there. Don't be that guy. Nobody likes that guy.

2, just be a decent human being about it, which is what the OP is about. Point unfamiliar faces to the toilet/bar/smoking area, help when wait staff are overloaded or understaffed (where you can without interfering with your primary job purpose), be friendly to the bouncers (I like to give them & barstaff a bit of entertainment too when there's a bit of lull), suggest must haves or special orders to patrons where appropriate, etc.

I especially also like Gordon's comment about being aware of when to not engage with people who have overstayed (for lack of a better term) & where possible, to try & milk particular groups with more entertainment to get them to stay (sometimes I even hand out drink tokens to "buy the group" for another round or 2 of drinks), & the times where I try to make up for an annoying wait or something...

I see myself as a bit of the middleman between the venue & it's patrons, & trying to be helpful to both parties.
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
Doing restaurant magic is a hoot; I miss it.

One of the best things about performing restaurant magic for me was learning to read tables and audience management. And I learned that all of those stupid magic lines: "Once is entertainment, twice is a lesson" or "If I told you I'd have to kill you" were a lot of fun for both me and the audience. Before that experience, I was pretty shy; not anymore Smile

Restuarant magic and street performing were much more fun for me than more formal gigs. I'd still be doing it if I lived anywhere near a city with suitable restaurants.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2020, griz326 wrote:
Doing restaurant magic is a hoot; I miss it.

One of the best things about performing restaurant magic for me was learning to read tables and audience management. And I learned that all of those stupid magic lines: "Once is entertainment, twice is a lesson" or "If I told you I'd have to kill you" were a lot of fun for both me and the audience. Before that experience, I was pretty shy; not anymore Smile

Restuarant magic and street performing were much more fun for me than more formal gigs. I'd still be doing it if I lived anywhere near a city with suitable restaurants.

I hear ya. I do miss it and especially miss the regulars and frienships that were developed.
It will be 4 weeks since my last scheduled restaurant gig. Hopefully soon but only time will tell.
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Restaurant Worker / More than magic (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL