The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Dress Rehearsal and Performance (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
In my experience as an LD with touring bands, there is always a full run through scheduled during the rehearsal process before beginning a new tour. Now does it always actually happen? Of course not, because it's show business.

On the day of each show, the band does a line check with or without the artist. Most of the artists I've worked with want to do the check so they see the stage and get a feel for the room. Obviously if interviews get in the way one of the tech.'s can stand in. After the line check the band will run through a song or two that is chosen by the Music Director and/or artist. Usually 1 full song but sometimes an additional song will be requested by FOH or someone in the band.

Bringing this back to magic. I build my show in sections like in a play. This way I can rehearse an entire section separately.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
This is my experience as well for a tour. The question is.... do they do the line check in costume? Of course not.
Ray Pierce
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2020, Ray Pierce wrote:
This is my experience as well for a tour. The question is.... do they do the line check in costume? Of course not.

We're talking about the band... they are usually wearing whatever they slept in because someone had to go on the bus and wake them up! Smile
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Lol... exactly. I'm usually first in to set points, stake out a production office then back in my bunk until needed. I was directing a Magic Segment for Tone Loc on the Club MTV live tour and wanted to match the reveal cloth to any specific costuming. I asked his "Tour Manager" brother what he usually wore... the answer? "Whatever's clean."
Ray Pierce
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Often with bands dress rehearsals are less mission critical. Most don't deal with costume changes, most won't need to worry about what they wear in the lights, most don't use black art or threads or have methods that won't need to be exposed.

For bands the tech and bump is usually fast more important. If it turns on at the volume they need and doesn't feedback life is good.

Bringing it back to magic how often have you toured a magic show Thomas?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Often with bands dress rehearsals are less mission critical. Most don't deal with costume changes, most won't need to worry about what they wear in the lights, most don't use black art or threads or have methods that won't need to be exposed.

For bands the tech and bump is usually fast more important. If it turns on at the volume they need and doesn't feedback life is good.

Bringing it back to magic how often have you toured a magic show Thomas?

As Ld? I think around 6 tours. A few other one-offs. Certainly done a lot more with music since it pays way better. Just not as much fun, such is life.

I’m not here to play mine is bigger than yours though. Just to talk about my experiences. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I get that. But how is it playing mine is bigger than your's to simply ask what exactly that experience is? Is that such a crazy question?

You wanted to talk about your experience and I simply asked exactly what experience you had? Sorry if that is somehow offensive.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Dress Rehearsal and Performance (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL