The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Three Dominoes Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Has anyone bought this trick or heard anything about it? Is it as good as the video leads us to believe? Is a switch of the dominoes involved?
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
There is no switch, but the gimmick is unconvincing. I can't recommend it.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
It's that obvious is it? Just can't trust them darn TV Infomercials (video sales pitches).

Can you be a little more definitive, perhaps in a PM?
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
The 3 Dominoes Monte:
http://www.magia.com.ar/index.php?w=show......mId=1532

I have seen them and they are very cool.
This is perfect for intimate close up magic, not walkaround or street magic.
The trick works only with people from the front.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The Domino Monte (as linked to by our friend Kjellstrom) can be a good interlude trick. However it does have severe angle problems. The prop has to be held just right for the illusion to be effective.

I think that it works better in a stand-up act as opposed to across a table. Spectators cannot be at your side either. Spectators need to be a few feet away (three or four feet) and to the front (or directly in front if you are closer than say three feet).

While the props are large enough to be seen in a small room, I think the idea would have been better employed in a larger prop and limited to platform/stage work.

You are looking right at the gimmick in the link provided. As you can tell from the photos the dominoes look a bit strange.

Frankly, if you wanted to do a Monte routine, stick to cards.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Martín Pacheco
View Profile
Regular user
Argentina
112 Posts

Profile of Martín Pacheco
One more ripoff from Magic Makers (the owner is Rob Stiff). The trick is selling in Penguin Magic.
You can be his next victim.... Why buy from the partners of a crook? Would you give confidential data (such like your credit card number) to a thief or to the partner of a thief? Today the creators of magic see these guys literally stealing money from our pockets. It's only a matter of time until they decide to commit these kind of actions against you.... Be careful with this guy! Be careful with this guy!

You can find more information at:

http://www.bazardemagia.com/robstiff

Martin Pacheco
Bazar de Magia
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Well said Martin.

I agree fully.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Wow!
I just read this article in the link above. I had no idea that Rob Stiff is that bad. I wouldn't call him a thief. However, I fully agree with you about copying other company's products. That is really not allowed. People are working hard to accomplish these effects, but he ruins it for the other people. Thank you Martin for the link.
If you haven't read it, read it, and do so NOW!
I'm for sure not going to buy anything from them.
Best,
Michael
ivan7
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of ivan7
Yeah it really bothers me when people copy products. Take Coca-Cola. It was great, then some upstart comes along and copies it and puts it in a new can and calls it Pepsi. Time to boycott Pepsi, my fellow moral magi.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Sarcasm?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
I still don't understand why Magic Makers would do that. This is not their style.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2004-09-10 21:23, ivan7 wrote:
Yeah it really bothers me when people copy products. Take Coca-Cola. It was great, then some upstart comes along and copies it and puts it in a new can and calls it Pepsi. Time to boycott Pepsi, my fellow moral magi.

Actually I don't drink either. They're both crap.
tjo'
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Scafidi7, I must disagree with you. How could you call something crap that's effective at cleaning car battery terminals?

Larry

P.S. - Honestly, I like Diet Coke. It may not be good for me, but at least I won't die of good health. Smile

P.P.S. - There are some magic companies whose products I will never buy because I don't condone their "ethics."
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Larry,
Sorry, I had a typo in there. I meant to say, "they're both CARP." Yes it's true, Coke and Pepsi are made out of blended-up fish. They pulverize, osterize and soda-ize the Carp and then package it up. Sort of like the Bass-o-matic gadget that Dan Akroyd used to hawk on the phony Saturday Night Live ads.

You'll notice that Coke contains a C and Pepsi contains a P, as does the word Carp. Kind of an Alpha Omega thing.

I believe I've proved my point.
tjo'
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
If you want to do a Monte effect not using cards, it's hard to beat Matchbox Monte, as explained by Dan Harlan on one of his Mindbogglers videos, and also on his Games People Play video. I have gotten amazing mileage out of this. I open with the Three Card Monte, then explain that it got so bad on the riverboats and railroads in the late nineteenth century that they banned playing cards. Of course, a real con man can do all the same moves with matchboxes...

I show some fun mixes, the Kansas City Cascade, the Louisiana Slide, and more...all basic card moves. People just love this.

Get one of Dan Harlan's videos, then a trip to the drugstore and you are all set. They are just matchboxes, they don't look gimmicked, and there are no angle problems. Plus, you are not supporting a pirate.

Yours,

Paul
poppa
View Profile
New user
Austin, Tx.
73 Posts

Profile of poppa
Penguin claims that they are examinable at the end.

My understanding is that two of the dominoes are gaffed, so you would have to do a double switch before they could be examined!

Is that right?

Poppa Jim Mitchell
http://www.toys-n-art.com
~Poppa Jim Mitchell
http://www.AVisitWithSanta.com
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

For some reason I wasted my time watching the (terrible) presentation of this effect on the Penguin site. If they claim that "all is examinable", I wonder why the gentleman performing went to p*ck*t (in a way that made little sense and stood out) in the last phase of the effect?

Sort of like saying an invisible deck is examinable if you perform a d**k s***ch...
tjo'
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
There is a nice Domino Monte which you can do using just... 3 regular dominoes, and a bit of adaptation (from card moves).
Christian Chelman did a nice routine using the same prop that is included in the "Dizzy Dominoes." But, as part of the routine, he plays a Monte game with 3 regular dominoes. The routine is worth checking. It is published in a French videotape "Seminar: Chelman" and maybe in one of his books.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2004-09-29 16:52, scafidi7 wrote:
...if you perform a d**k s***ch...

Hmmm, sounds like a John Wayne Bobbit effect. Sorry, I couldn't res*st.

Larry D.

P.S. - I personally wouldn't perform any domino monte in lieu of a card monte.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

I'm thinking of performing 3 Pizza Monte. Just don't pick the 2 pies with anchovies or you lose every time.
tjo'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Three Dominoes Monte (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL