The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What is going to be different? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
In the wake of all this stuff with the Corona Virus, a lot is going to change for us who make our living as Live Entertainers.

While I know it will pass, there will be a time, that people are going to be overly cautious and weary of interaction that we are used to and thrive on in our shows.

What do you think will be different about live, inter-active (in my case) comedy magic once this crap passes?

Do you think we’re basically screwed?

I think people are going to be very weary of sitting next to one another in an environment like we are used to performing in and they certainly won’t be excited to get on stage and help with a routine and touch props that other people have handled. And, Hypnotist, will likely agree that people are NOT going to want to lean over on the person sitting next to them, as is typical in those performing situations.

Do we create a new venue? The stuff we do cannot possibly generate the income on a consistent basis by performing to a camera for youtube and most of us who perform live are not TV performers.

I've thought of doing straight comedy (which I've done successfully in the past) but again, are people going to want to sit next to each other as they always have? Some will and some won't is my guess. Also, we all know how the media likes to create panic, so I'm confident THEY will be doing their part to make "social distancing" some kind of norm, through fear tactics.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what you may be thinking on this subject.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Here's what I think.

Once this thing is under control, people will go about living their lives as normal. To me, the one thing that could possibly change, though, is the practice of shaking hands.

Anyway, that's just my 2-cents worth.

Gerry
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
Gerry,

I was originally thinking along the same lines. The only thing that made me think a few other things may be different is when I thought of the aftermath of 911.

I want to be wrong and want you to be right, in the most serious way.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
People have a short memory.

Don't forget that regardless of what media is showing (Not saying they are doing a bad thing, I'm just saying that they only show sensational bad stuff. It is what it is.) the HUGE percentage of people are not affected by the virus. They are ECONOMICALLY impacted by the panic. (I am not wanting to say it is right or wrong, only that it is what it is.)

Swine flu do you remember how many were infected? It was a lot lets just say that. My point being that things return to normal very quickly. Americans (I can not speak for all, or even many but just my experience in having been through a LOT of this panic stuff.) don't want to live in fear.

Hypnotists managed to get by after the Black Death, even after the Spanish Flu, and on and on. Every flu season 60,000 people die yet hypnotists manage to survive. I'm pretty certain things will be fine. We won't be living with "social distancing" forever. We won't be living with it even for long.

Also on the other side of this all the media attention will be turned to "things getting back to normal" and how everyone is fine and THAT is what will sell. It is the media cycle. It happens every time. It will happen this time. I doubt hand shaking will even change.

People are social animals. LOTS has started to change with "social media", which oddly enough actually DISTANCES people from one another! But by the time that generation fully takes hold I will have long since departed this earth.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I couldn't agree more about the media cycle.

People will want to get back to their norm. We will begin to see this soon.
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
Danny, I'm right there with you and in full agreement.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
People have a short memory.

Don't forget that regardless of what media is showing (Not saying they are doing a bad thing, I'm just saying that they only show sensational bad stuff. It is what it is.) the HUGE percentage of people are not affected by the virus. They are ECONOMICALLY impacted by the panic. (I am not wanting to say it is right or wrong, only that it is what it is.)

Swine flu do you remember how many were infected? It was a lot lets just say that. My point being that things return to normal very quickly. Americans (I can not speak for all, or even many but just my experience in having been through a LOT of this panic stuff.) don't want to live in fear.

Hypnotists managed to get by after the Black Death, even after the Spanish Flu, and on and on. Every flu season 60,000 people die yet hypnotists manage to survive. I'm pretty certain things will be fine. We won't be living with "social distancing" forever. We won't be living with it even for long.

Also on the other side of this all the media attention will be turned to "things getting back to normal" and how everyone is fine and THAT is what will sell. It is the media cycle. It happens every time. It will happen this time. I doubt hand shaking will even change.

People are social animals. LOTS has started to change with "social media", which oddly enough actually DISTANCES people from one another! But by the time that generation fully takes hold I will have long since departed this earth.

This is a very wise assessment and Right on! "and this too shall pass"
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What is going to be different? (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL