The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » View To A Skill by John Bannon (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
John Bannon's effect with a shuffled deck. Cool!!

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/13384

"This trick is going to fool you." -John Bannon

John Bannon’s View To A Skill is a completely self-working fooler. No sleight of hand or gaffs are required for this effect that ends in a perfect prediction.

A special game of War is proposed by the magician, with the audience member choosing whether they would like the red cards or the black cards. A prediction is written on the back of a business card and placed face down on the table openly before the game begins. After two rounds of the game, the prediction not only correctly predicted who would win each game but by exactly how many points they would win!

John has revised the Stuart James Miraskill effect to require absolutely no sleight of hand. Once you learn this you’ll be able to do it forever from any shuffled deck.
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Solid effect from Open and Notorious, or High Caliber.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Very good trick. Super clever and oh so easy.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
If you like this, I highly recommend you look into 'Aunt Mary's Terrible Secret' by Dave Williamson. It's an even stronger Miraskill game plot, I think.
It's all in the reflexes.
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Aunt Mary's Terrible Secret is such a good trick... though I mentally always associate it with the Gilbreath principle that I forget it also is a Miraskill offshoot. I usually don't like Miraskill effects, which often feel kinda boring, but Williamson turns Aunt Mary's into a whole story that actually makes all the dealing suspenseful. It's great.

Bannon's version is pretty good though, though the "war" framing feels a bit weird.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Anything new offered that is not in his book "High Caliber" concerning this effect?
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Its also on his Move Zero Vol 4 dvd. Much more bang for the buck with 9 routines that also includes the recently released Power of Poker.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Found it very unimpressive personally. With everything else that’s out there why would you buy and perform this? Not me.
KristoBall
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of KristoBall
Typically love Bannon's stuff but... I'm not sure why this is impressive? As a spectator I would merely think, "some kind of math trick." Not seeing the wow factor. Maybe I'm just missing it.
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2020, KristoBall wrote:
Typically love Bannon's stuff but... I'm not sure why this is impressive? As a spectator I would merely think, "some kind of math trick." Not seeing the wow factor. Maybe I'm just missing it.

This tends to be my issue with nearly all Miraskill effects. They're just not that impressive.

That's why "Aunt Mary's" is one of the few that seems to actually work, because of the presentation built around it. It's a story piece.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2020, Illucifer wrote:
If you like this, I highly recommend you look into 'Aunt Mary's Terrible Secret' by Dave Williamson. It's an even stronger Miraskill game plot, I think.

not easy....for me.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2020, KristoBall wrote:

this is what most self working means. MATH
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have done "A View To A Skill" for laymen and it gets GREAT reactions. The "War" plot is surprisingly well known to laymen in our world of all things video. The predictions are "shockers", I find people amazed that I knew the outcome and have never heard anyone (guess / accuse) math as the method. I also finally managed to grab a used copy of "Aunt Mary's" only to find out it was the same plot with a different angle. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I will likely stick to the Bannon routine.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Yeah, I don't understand the "math" criticism. To the spectator, there's no math. Just counting. And you predict the result. That's pretty straight forward.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Pepsi Twist
View Profile
New user
Bexhill UK
73 Posts

Profile of Pepsi Twist
This has always been one of my favourites from High Caliber and I've done it a bunch of times with good results. The method is very clever and was a good lesson for me. I did it to the other half a few days ago though and she just turned around and told me why it works, that put a damper on it for me! (Especially because all Penguin's advertising is about how this is so super fooling).
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Found it very unimpressive personally. With everything else that’s out there why would you buy and perform this? Not me.

I performed it and it killed. However, you wont do this alone. after this, you may like to bring the super power to your audience like doing an OFTW routine.

trust me, I believe I knew this trick much earlier than most of you.

What surprised me is I first seeing this trick was a free trick from his site. And later it was removed and now it is sold for 10 dollars.
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
792 Posts

Profile of qkeli
The wow factor for me is the fact it’s you don’t deal alone and the spectator is part of this so the effect is lore interactive... I like it a lot and will check Williamson’s version
Kurtis Chin
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of Kurtis Chin
For about $30 you can get John Bannon's Move Zero DVD set 1-4 at Kaymar. This trick is included. From watching the performance, I found this particular trick to be a bore. Too much dealing...and this dealing sequence is done twice...doubly boring! There are better tricks (IMO) on this set than View to A Skill...and for a mere $20 more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » View To A Skill by John Bannon (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL