The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Intuition Test by Larry Haas (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On May 16, 2020, The great Gumbini wrote:
KJ I have to also say so far every single time I've performed this it has gotten better than expected reactions. This is definitely a keeper and I cannot believe how simple it is to perform.

Good magic to all,

Eric

You obviously perform magic more often while in the midst of a pandemic than I do in normal times. 😃
Is this a good zoom effect? How are you doing these “nice casual after dinner kind of a thing” in these strange times?
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I have volunteered for some food giveaways I helped to hand out food boxes to needy families and during our breaks in the action sort of speak I'm able to perform this for other volunteers to break the ice. I probably should have explained that but I've never been good at tooting my own horn.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Also I forgot to address your other question about this being an after-dinner sort of effect. It is not limited to that what I was saying is it may not be something you would just automatically put into a show for example not that you couldn't do that but this is on a much more casual basis for example doing what I was doing with the people that were volunteers this was really nice it's a little ice breaker that really has a good effect that's what I was trying to say. I hope that makes sense.

Good magic to,

Eric
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3236 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quote:
On May 17, 2020, The great Gumbini wrote:
I have volunteered for some food giveaways I helped to hand out food boxes to needy families and during our breaks in the action sort of speak I'm able to perform this for other volunteers to break the ice. I probably should have explained that but I've never been good at tooting my own horn.

Good magic to all,

Eric

I really applaud what you do Eric as well as your valued contribution to The Café. Thank you.

Neil
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Very clever! But too procedural and a completely meh ! Ending, Would anyone class that as entertaining?
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Neil thank you so much for saying that. I know some effects are not for everyone this one just happened to fall into my hands at the right time and I've even performed it more since I posted last time and I have to admit so far so good. Everyone please stay safe.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

There is one other thing I would like to add. I never do the part where I pick up two cards and ask if they want to keep them or get rid of them. I figure they stop me when they want me to stop. I only ask if they are sure they want me to stop right here. This does cut down on the procedure a little bit as well. And it feels right it does not feel like I'm trying to influence them to do away with cards that they already decided should be there.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
I like this and I think it has the potential to play well. However, while testing out the underlying principle, I noticed that it does not work 100% of the time. Without exposing too much, it won’t work if you end up with an uneven distribution of black to red cards, which could happen depending on when the spectator decides to stop dealing at the start of the trick. If you have this uneven distribution, I’ve noticed during testing that the principle won’t work. This isn’t covered in the explanation video, so I’m curious if anyone purchased this has noticed it as well?
joogy
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of joogy
Quote:
On May 30, 2020, Jaybs wrote:
I like this and I think it has the potential to play well. However, while testing out the underlying principle, I noticed that it does not work 100% of the time. Without exposing too much, it won’t work if you end up with an uneven distribution of black to red cards, which could happen depending on when the spectator decides to stop dealing at the start of the trick. If you have this uneven distribution, I’ve noticed during testing that the principle won’t work. This isn’t covered in the explanation video, so I’m curious if anyone purchased this has noticed it as well?

Hi,

Yes, I noticed this too if one colour is very predominant over another.

Joogy
geggy
View Profile
Elite user
Brighton UK
485 Posts

Profile of geggy
I have just got this and think it is a fantastic effect.
Been playing around with it and seems to work everytime.
It's special as in its really fun to practice.
When it's the dealing part I am going to say 'I am now going to deal the cards face up in a pile and when it feels right say stop'
But explain you don't want too few and not to many, say around the 20 mark, just say stop when your intuition tells you'
This way you will surely have what you need to proceed.
Early days for me, but 100% so far.
Great effect for 10 Bucks.
Gerry
phil in KC
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of phil in KC
Quote:
On May 30, 2020, Jaybs wrote:

There is a potential for failure in extreme cases of unbalanced distribution. If you see this as you deal the cards, simply stop, pick the cards up, and have your guest shuffle the cards again -- "This deck clearly needs more mixing!" The chances of this with a well-shuffled deck are very small. While possible, probably not worth worrying about.

I agree that this has lots of positives, especially with the cards in your guest's hands most of the time. I still want to do the dealing, to control the speed and to handle a crazy unbalanced distribution, as we discussed.
geggy
View Profile
Elite user
Brighton UK
485 Posts

Profile of geggy
Larry says in the tutorial to make sure there is at least 5 reds when you deal the pile.
I assume this is the minimum to be sure it works.
So I see that it could fail but chances are miniscule.
Really like this, and with a borrowed deck if this arises.
Gerry
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Does this work as well with a male spectator? Women may be more inclined to think of themselves as “intuitive” and so the impact may be greater with a female spectator — ?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3511 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2023, Hushai wrote:
Does this work as well with a male spectator? Women may be more inclined to think of themselves as “intuitive” and so the impact may be greater with a female spectator — ?

Frame it as making choices instead of using intuition... Choose 3 cards from your pile and put them in mine. Choose 2 cards in my pile and put them in yours. Do you want to put 1,2, or 3 cards from your cards with mine? Take 2, 3, 4, maybe even 5 cards from mine and put them with yours etc.
In the end, did you make the best choice? Show the results.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
I believe that this concept would appeal to males as well as females. I intend to explain the idea of intuition by discussing Peter Parker's Spider-Sense, which gives him pre-cognitive abilities. This is particularly relevant due to the recent release of the Marvel Studios/Sony Pictures Spider-Man films. Many people will understand what you mean when you say, "Trust your tingle".

By talking about intuition as a superpower, the theme of the trick should be more appealing to boys and men. There are plenty of comic-book characters that have psychic abilities to choose from if you don't want to talk about the wisecracking webhead. However, it's important to remember that girls and women can also enjoy these things, too!

You could also frame this as an exploration of influence or fate.

Marty

P.S. If you're still on the fence about this trick, I've written a detailed review of it on my blog. I've included a couple of ideas to increase the impossibility of the final revelation. I've also written up a handling of The Twenty-One Card Trick, called "Trust Your Gut", that uses a similar "intuition test" presentation to hide the method. This trick would work well when performed before "The Intuition Test".
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On May 19, 2020, The great Gumbini wrote:
There is one other thing I would like to add. I never do the part where I pick up two cards and ask if they want to keep them or get rid of them. I figure they stop me when they want me to stop. I only ask if they are sure they want me to stop right here. This does cut down on the procedure a little bit as well. And it feels right it does not feel like I'm trying to influence them to do away with cards that they already decided should be there.

Good magic to all,

Eric

It is a very good point. I think it is important for this effect to remain about their intuition, not about how you may have tried to influence them to give two cards back.

Now, a few years later, I still perform this trick.

KJ
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2023, 1KJ wrote:
It is a very good point. I think it is important for this effect to remain about their intuition, not about how you may have tried to influence them to give two cards back.

I understand what you're saying here. However, Larry frames this as yet another decision given to the participant, who is being guided by their intuition. Allowing them to put one or two cards back increases the person's sense of agency over the situation. I think it is better to give them this option.

You can always emphasise, through your script, that you're not trying to influence them. For example, if you label the two "outcomes" A and B, you can say, "Which one are you naturally drawn to? A or B. Go with your gut; A for awesome or B for boring. Don't let me influence your choice! A for awful or B for brilliant. Which one do you want?"

I like this playful approach, but, as always, your mileage may vary.

Marty
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Larry's presentation fully justifies every action (based on the participant's intuition), but if you want to cut back on what some see as "too much procedure", you can easily adjust this effect.

Instead of dealing cards one by one into a pile, asking the participant to say stop (which can feel like process), you can simply ask them to cut the deck around half, maybe a bit less...they hand you the cards and you quickly spread them face up to make sure there's a nice mix of red and black cards. You then hand the cards back, ask thing them to mix the cards, then when done, hand you about half the cards.

Everything you need to do can easily be done in that sequence.
TopRabbit13
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of TopRabbit13
This is definitely a very good effect. Just happened across it today and was highly impressed by Larry’s explanation.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3511 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I use Simon Arronson 's Shuffle Bored shuffle for getting the cards for use in the test. Not only do I have a constant known, their intuition has directed the shuffling.
I also have a choice, to either perform Intuition Test or Shuffle Bored.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Intuition Test by Larry Haas (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL