The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop cup - learning material? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
After looking over this chain of posts, I have a few observations to add.

I'm not a novice to the chop cup. I've performed it for 50+ years, under all possible imaginable conditions -- on stage, in the path, close-up, surrounded, in the rain, in a windstorm -- you name it.

First, doing the routine with an ungimmicked cup is basically showing off to yourself. Why bother? If you handle any cup as if it is ungimmicked, then the audience will perceive it as such. You don't need to let them go through a long phase of examination of the cup. That slows the presentation down. Just bring the cup out and do the routine.

Second, you will learn more about the cup and ball by performing it than you will by reading about it or watching videos about it. Explore the cup. Explore the ball. Make your moves consistent. Make sure that every move you make has a purpose and a meaning. This is what makes your performance smooth and gives you built in misdirection.

Don't bang your cup on the table. It serves no purpose. Don did it so the spectator would blink when he loaded the ball. Or so he told me.

Come up with something different. It doesn't have to be radical. It just has to be memorable.

One hint -- when you are exploring the cup and figuring out your final loads, think of things nobody else would use. I have several boxes of loads I have tried. I finally settled on billiard balls -- not rubber billiard balls or wooden billiard balls -- honest to Pete billiard balls. Once I figured that out, the front end of the routine built itself.

The main thing is to practice, practice, practice and perform, perform, perform.

Practice the routine until it becomes boring. Then practice it until it becomes beautiful.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
corneille
View Profile
New user
France
97 Posts

Profile of corneille
Obrienmagic this is a routine I worked on during the quarantine playing With what I found in the kitchen :

https://youtu.be/lOwdiqoJMUY

And this is something less impromptu but still gimmickless :

https://youtu.be/hDB7rQqGI0c
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Back to the original post on suggestions for learning material. I've found two sources which I thought were the best starting sourced.
First is the routine by Larry Jennings in his book "On card and coin handling". It seem strange to have a book on cards and coins with a Chop Cup routine but it is a classic.
The second is "The Chop Cup" book by Mark Wilson. Both are still available if you look for them.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On May 28, 2021, Bill Palmer wrote:

Practice, practice, practice and perform, perform, perform.

Practice the routine until it becomes boring. Then practice it until it becomes beautiful.

I may actually frame these 2 sentences and put it on my desk.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
It's a shame he's only made
435 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2020, Chris.Z wrote:
Dan Tong
David Roth
Mark James
Don Allen

*****Very much a large YES to the above!*******
His face isn't really this long in-person!
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On May 28, 2021, Bill Palmer wrote:

...The main thing is to practice, practice, practice and perform, perform, perform.

This has an Al Schneider ring to it...

Julie
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I like the part with the shot glass and the silk hanky.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Oh, and I wanted to mention that you can make up your own routine if you want. One of the neat things about magic.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
This video made me think a little differently about the Chop Cup

https://vimeo.com/6782769
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Very interesting video I must say.
Magic guy in Perth Australia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop cup - learning material? (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL