The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » 38 Blocks (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
It may help to know they don’t have to read the entire list. I’ve already performed it a few times and it’s strong. I understand the concern, but think if presented correctly it’s a non issue. Like everything we do.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
GReed3649
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of GReed3649
Having read through this thread, it seems the book itself has gotten some mixed reviews. I love the idea that this is a turn of the century reproduction from New Orleans' seedy past, BUT can it or can't it pass for the genuine article? That seems to be a bigger question than the possibly methodology.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Maybe...close...you couldn’t sell it to a museum Smile
It’s close enough that you should have no problem believably justifying its existence and proceeding.
“and had you walked into a saloon or barber shop during this period, you may have left with a little guide like this one..”
Your mileage may vary but I wouldn’t let that hold you back. It’s a solid piece that’s a good deal at the price. My guess is anyone this deep into this thread is going to be happy with it. Personally I’ve liked it more each (mini) performance so far.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2020, Joe Roberts wrote:

With book tests it's always been considered a weakness if you have to ask for a page number because the spectator could simply assume you memorized it. Countless book tests have been designed to avoid having to ask for a page number, even if the book has 100s of pages.

With only 20-something different women, the suspicion of memorization being the answer would be even more likely. That doesn't seem like such a "big assumption" to me. My concern is that it's about the most basic assumption the spectator could make. Presentation is the heart of bizarre magic but to really engross people in a bizarre presentation I feel like you need to eliminate all the prosaic explanations for what is happening.

I love the idea of the book but I just wanted to clarify what the process was because it sounded like they read the names on one page and you're able to tell them details of the woman on the other side of the page. And if that's what it is, I personally don't know how I would steer them away from what seems to be the obvious explanation, so it's not for me. But I'm sure others won't have that hang-up and I hope they enjoy the product.
I disagree with your opinions on books tests. But you are correct on the process provided, they read out a list until you know which lady is on the opposite page. Maybe after the reveal of the bigger seance it's supposed to be for we'll see if it becomes for you.

Quote:
On Jun 9, 2020, GReed3649 wrote:
Having read through this thread, it seems the book itself has gotten some mixed reviews. I love the idea that this is a turn of the century reproduction from New Orleans' seedy past, BUT can it or can't it pass for the genuine article? That seems to be a bigger question than the possibly methodology.
I wouldn't say it's gotten mixed reviews based on this thread. But it's verisimilitude would depend on the parameters. Causally and in performance it probably will pass. To a collector or someone who really studies it no chance, there's spots where it's clear this is a digital project. The solutions to that problem though would increase the cost of the product out of most peoples willingness to buy.
GReed3649
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of GReed3649
Thanks for the clarification, that’s exactly what I wanted to know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » 38 Blocks (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL