The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Four coins from an audience member (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "How about having the spectator magically finding a coin? After you have found two coins, you close their hand around the two? coins, have them pluck an imaginary coin off of their sleeve and place it into the side of their fist"

Chris, I thought of that as well, however, you give the spectator nowhere to go after the reveal of the third coin... in other words, it must have been loaded into their hand by you when you put the "two" coins there. That's why I threw in a coin purse and another spectator in my suggestion. The puts the heat on the innocent purse and takes focus off of my putting the coins into the spectator's hands. He's sure that he has 3 coins in his hand, the second spectator is sur ethe purse is empty, but all of a sudden, it's opened and four coins come out. It throws up several false directions to chase when they're trying to figure out how you got the fourth coin in there. The purse, as the newly introduced item will appear dirty, but is clean, and will stand out in the memory of the spectators, logically drawing them toward the conclusion that you somehow managed to get a coin in there without anyone seeing, after it was examined.

This is also why I suggested that the magician snap the purse shut, while the second spectator holds it. This action, done while showing the hand that snaps the purse closed is obviously empty will kill the spectator because that's the moment his brain will return to as the suspect action, where you must have loaded the coin, but how? since the hand was shown all around, and was completely empty.

By this time they have all but forgotten that it was you who placed the "three" coins in their hand to begin with. It's like the old ash on the palm trick... they'll swear that you never touched their hand... but of course, memory is something that can be manipulated, as we all know, without too much effort. Smile

Just my daily 2 cents!

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Hi Mike,

I guess the misdirection in CCC is very good at the point of the spectator finding the extra coin so in this context you may have to make this the last coin to appear...load it in the spectators hand after the 2nd, perform the pop out as the third onto the back of the spectators hand then at this point either push the coin through the back of the spectators hand into their fist and find an alternate ending or get them to push this coin into their fist and then pull an imaginary coin and put that in also...open hand out to finish. Possibilities I guess...how do you think this would play to an audience?
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Hey Man,

I really want to see a demo of the CCC effect. I've heard nothing but positive feedback, but have yet to see it done. I'm sure there's a demo out there somewhere that I haven't bothered to find yet Smile

However, the misdirection must be substantial to make the spectator forget about the loading of the coins into their hand, or at least, to not suspect that action. I'm not sure that popping out the "third" coin, while having previously loaded the fourth would play out. Only because all of the other coins appeared with a bang. The final coin appearing with only the mimed action of placing an invisible coin would seem to fall a little flat as compared to the previous 3 revelations.

I guess I'd have to start from the beginning if I were going to script out this effect. For instance:

Magician produces a coin purse, opens it (purse is empty), and produces 4 invisible coins. Magician replaces purse in coat pocket. Possible premises include, "the spect. is trying to take your invisible coins", or "Invisible coins need to be handled to become visible again", or any appropriate storyline/premise.

Coin 1 - the spect. holds out her palm-up right hand. The magician waves his hand over her hand, and a coin appears therein. Spectator holds the coin in left hand.

Coin 2 - Replay of first load, except magician offers to to increase difficulty by not covering spect hand (or if not to increase difficulty, to make everything appear more fair and open). Spect. is directed to hold right hand out, palm up again. Magician asks if spect. sees the coin, spect. replies no, magician says "it's right there" as he points to spect's palm, the coin is now there. Spect. holds coin with first coin in left hand.

Coin 3 - The magician directs the spect. to look into her shirt pocket / under watch, etc. (body load to best location on spect, done during the first production while adjusting spect.'s location and stance). Spect. holds coin with other coins in left hand.

Coin 4 - Magician asks spect. for the three coins. Magicain counts all three coins openly, hands shown empty aside from the three coins (reason for taking coins from Spect. - to closely examine the count, to apparently show openly that only three coins exist, or any number of applicable reasons). Magician gives coins back to spect and directs her to hold on tight. Magician produces purse from coat pocket, opens it, and hands to spect. 2 to examine. It is empty. Spect. 1 is directed to dump the three coins into the purse while Spect. 2 holds it open. Magician snaps purse shut and directs Spect. 2 to hand or toss the purse to spect. 1.

Spect. 2 is asked how many coins were in the purse prior to Spect. 1 dumping in her coins. Spect. 2 replies "none". Spect. 1 is asked how many coin she put in the purse. She replies, "three". Magician makes some kind of comment about the two spect's being in league with each other, trying to pull a fast one, etc., and has Spect. 1 dump the coins out (either into spect. 2's hands, or into a thrid party's hands. There are four coins.

All four invisible coins become visible, one at a time, and return to the purse, bringing the effect full cicle.

But that's just my take on Chris B's idea... The way I'd most likely begin, and then hone all of the rough edges out after a performance or two or three.

It's hard for me to come up with ideas for a routine unless I visualize the whole thing first...

Best,

Mike

Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Sounds Good Mike...As for a link to CCC - http://www.murphysmagicsupplies.com/vide......ese.html

Doesn't do the effect justice though. Probably one of the strongest effects I have performed. Girls Love It Smile
Enjoy
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Quote:
On 2004-06-08 06:33, WildStone wrote:
A very different move than Roth's considering the use of the card case and the motion of the coin flying upwards, as opposed to the coin appearing on a surface at the tip of the pointer finger.

Oh well... at least I was batting in the right ballpark Smile

Mike

Mike, that move where the coin flys up is called The Hobbit Move. In the book the Hobbit there is a subtitle or something I believe called There and Back Again which is why the move is named so.

The pop-out is used for the reveal of the last coin. The box is placed on the table. Pop-out to reveal it. Pick up the box and dump the coin off it into the other hand.

Chris
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Oh yeah... Thanks Chris. I just rewatched the video for the umteenth time to... should have remembered that a little more clearly. Thanks for the reminders!

Best,

Mike

MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Hey,
David Stone has a move that you might find interesting, after producing the 3rd coin while showing both hands clearly empty, you pull a 4th right out of their sleeve.. Pm me if interested I will try to explain.
Tom
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Mike,

Just as an after thought about the load of the coin. What do you feel makes this different from the switch you do in totem? In theory the misdirection would be the same for loading an extra or switching in another coin. What are your thoughts?

Chris
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Chris:

It really is very similar to the move in the Totem routine where the coins are switched and one is given to the spectator. One difference between that move and a move done with several coins is that the move done with several is markedly easier to get away with than a single coin switch.

For the effect that we're discussing here, the point where you take back the three coins to check the count, or whatever reason you use to take them back, is obviously the point where coin number four comes into play. A simple hand washing prior to taking the coins from the spect. would strongly sell the idea that your hands are empty at this point. Taking the coins, doing a very open and fair count, and placing them back into the spectator's hand would look simple, innocent, and would not, IMO, cause anyone to think "coin load in progress" Smile * As long as the words you use and your actions are suited to the situation.

Also, you've got the added misdirection of introducing the purse a second or two after you give the coins back. All suspicion falls upon that dubious little item when it makes its second appearance. In comparison, the switch in the Totem is a much bolder move, considering that no additional misdirection exists beyond a few words and a carefully timed Bobo switch.

BTW, I worked out a better "one-handed" switch for that part of the routine. PM me if you haven't already adopted one on your own Smile

Best,

Mike

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Four coins from an audience member (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL