The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sleeving coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
In another post, I heard magicians talking about whether or not to use SOH or gimmicks. Mb217 brought up sleeving coins and it got me interested. What is a good resource for sleeving coins?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hiya Ky 😊

As to this part of coin magic, a good simple place to start is Bobo’s, he has a small section on it there.

Then, depending on your interest & abilities, you might look into Justin Miller’s wonderful, “Silver Dream” for greater application and inspiration. 😉

This aspect of coin magic is a lot of fun simply used or more intricately applied. Either-which-way, enjoy the journey. 😊👍🏽
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Thanks Mb. You are the one that got me interested in it. Ill go grab my copy of Bobo and check it out. Any recommendation on sleeve size?
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Mb mentions Justin Miller. Miller has a whole download devoted to sleeving called "Bullet Proof Sleeving" available from Ellusionist. It got two-star and five-star reviews, nothing in between. The two-star reviews mainly complain about how the material is organized. But I'm sure there is much that is useful to learn there. I've thought of getting it myself.

There is also Carl Cloutier's "Expert Sleeving Made Easy," DVD or download, and Johan Stahl's "Sleeveless Sleeving," DVD. Both are excellent.

Marion Boykin (Mb) makes great use of sleeving. It's something I've thought about getting into for a long time, but just never devoted much time to. Part of the reason is I like to roll up my sleeves while performing to prevent spectators from saying, "It went up his sleeve." But after watching Mb and others perform, I've been reevaluating that position because it really is quite deceptive and eliminates many of the problems of ditching items at the end of a trick.
TopChange
View Profile
Regular user
Connecticut
166 Posts

Profile of TopChange
If you are looking into some serious sleeving may I suggest:

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/if-it-......-book-2/

This book is a bargain.
yosty28
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of yosty28
Now you sleeve me by Jeffrey Wang is a really good video I got when it released. If you want to get incredible but angle sensitive sleeving you should get it (there is still stuff which is not very angle sensitive).
It's on ellusionist website here :
https://www.ellusionist.com/now-you-slee......ang.html
Hope you'll find this fitting to your needs
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Thanks guys. Ill check these sources out and pick up the Rocco book. How does sleeving compare with a toppit?
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Some magicians use both sleeving and a topit. The thing with the topit is that it is something that has to be added to your clothes, whereas all jackets come with sleeves. Plus there are many different topit patterns; it's difficult--at least it's been for me--to decide which one is best.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Although it's not specifically on coins, I can recommend the chapter "The Magic Sleeves of David Berglas" in "The Art of Close-Up vol. 2" by Lewis Ganson. I found his sleeving technique far easier than the ones in Bobo. I saw David Berglas demonstrate it in a lecture, and it was one of the most magical-looking routines I've seen.

Barry
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
That Carl Cloutier dvd is great.
frankw
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of frankw
Aurelio Paviato explain his technique in the penguin lecture and also Chris Korn explain and talk about sleeving in his ATT lecture.
Frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sleeving coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL