The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tarot cards and age appropriateness (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, but I'm taking a shot that someone here can give me advice. It seems as though my 12 year old son has taken an interest in tarot cards. I've always encouraged my children to explore things that interest them, with my approval, of course! I checked out a book on tarot cards from the library for him, and he is quite interested in them. I need advice on whether or not I should actually get him some tarot cards or not. I guess an important piece of information would be that his father will have a fit if he finds out about this. So, any words of wisdom?

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
If it were my situation I would let my girlfriend know about it to discuss it. If the imagery of the cards is an issue the Rider-Waite is as about is "PG" as you are going to get. If religion was an issue I would forget about it or find a Mexican deck of cards that has imagary similar to that of the Tarot on its court cards.

Again, this is what I would do if the situation were mine. We do have a son together and had to have one of these discussions about, of all things, Barney. I'm sorry but the purple dinosaur is wussy.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
It depends. If he is interested in them from an artistic or historical perspective then I would encourage him in his interest. There are many decks on the market today that are works of art or made simply for the playing of the game Tarocchi.

If his interest is for using them for divination purposes then I would be a little more hesitant to encourage him in this aspect.

But then I'm a hopeless skeptic and an avowed athiest and I think that 12 is far to young to start indoctrinating someone into the realms of magical thinking.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
There ARE age appropriate tarot decks. Check the inventory and off list materials from Tarot Garden Boutique.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
Margarette,

My advice would be to just go ahead and get them. I have no doubt that you'll get ones with images that are appropriate, so no worries there. As far as the dad, I'd suggest that your son not take them over there when he visits. That's a hassle you don't need. If the topic comes up, then I'd just explain that he's just learning about them from a magic perspective. It's a tool, like an ordinary deck of cards. If your son starts dressing up in monk's robes and chants all day, sure, then you can get worried. Smile

When I moved down South a couple of years ago, I noticed something similar. People would look at me funny when I used tarot and runes during an effect. Once they got used to the idea of me using it, they understood that it wasn't such a big deal. If anything, it's a chance to teach the truth behind these objects, that they're not "devil's toys" or whatever else someone wants to call them. Education for all is key.

It's nice to see a parent concerned about what their children do. Not enough of that goes on nowadays. Great job!
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2004-06-08 09:37, Tspall wrote:
Margarette,

If your son starts dressing up in monk's robes and chants all day, sure, then you can get worried. Smile

I think the only way I have to worry about that is if it is inspired by Yugioh, or Scooby Doo. Although, his father thinks both of these are bad, too...Yugioh because it calls on magic powers, and Scooby Doo because they chase after ghosts and evil spirits. I think Dad needs to lighten up, but of course, I can't be the one to tell him that!

Margarette
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Yet, he's cool with his wife being routinely shackled and cuffed? Hmmmm....
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
If your son is interested in ANYTHING other than drugs, sex, or booze be grateful.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Margarette,

With all due respect, I think the problem is not your son but his father, but you know that already!

It is great that your kid manifests such interest. I have two kids, 5 and 3, and they love playing cards, and the idea that they are doing “tricks”, just by handling the deck.

I see nothing unhealthy in encouraging your son. Cards in general, and Tarot specifically, are full of traditions, information and story.

In my opinion it will be better if you let your son investigate and handle your Tarot cards instead of giving him his own deck. In that way you encourage his interest without getting into real trouble with the father. After all, your cards are already there and it is fairly natural for you and your son to speak openly about the things you do.

On the other hand, by giving him his own deck and asking him to keep it hidden from his father, you are increasing your risk of trouble. After all, an instigation to lie is not the kind of thing a mother should be teaching.

Anyway, I’m sure you will find the way to manage this situation. As you have stated, there is nothing you can do to open his father's understanding, but you can always work to keep your son's eyes open.
francisco
View Profile
Loyal user
Coolest guy in the café
267 Posts

Profile of francisco
I completely agree with enriqueenriquez about not getting him his own deck but letting him handle yours—that way he will be delving into skills with the deck and what not but you won't get any stick with the father!

Nice one enriqueenriquez!

-Francisco

ps. Buy him a cardboard box as a hat though!
I thoroughly recommend it.
'When you steal one trick, they call it plagiarism. When you steal many - they call it research.'

[Corinda, 13 steps to mentalism]
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:

Yet, he's cool with his wife being routinely shackled and cuffed? Hmmmm....

Um...did I happen to mention the fact that Benjamin's father and I have been divorced for 12 years?

Margarette
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
I think as long as he is educated as to the history and real context of the cards (not some hysterical dogma - pro or con) then the cards can be educational and thought provoking. I do find a lot of Tarot books cover less the practical aspect and promote a new age view, which may or may not be desirable. Of course you must also show him the social implications of working with Tarot so he doesn't end up on the wrong end of a witch-burning.

A better educated young man is always more helpful to the world.

And using your cards may be better, as this may be either a passing curiousity or a true interest - but only time will tell.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Tspall wrote:
Quote:
When I moved down South a couple of years ago, I noticed something similar. People would look at me funny when I used tarot and runes during an effect. Once they got used to the idea of me using it, they understood that it wasn't such a big deal. If anything, it's a chance to teach the truth behind these objects, that they're not "devil's toys" or whatever else someone wants to call them. Education for all is key.

It's not that the South isn't more hip to the Tarot and Runes than people up North. If you want to see an area where there is a definite anti-Tarot bias , the hill country of Southern Indiana has some areas where Tarot and Runes are looked at quite askance.

OTOH, last year, while I was driving through Memphis, TN, I needed a couple of packs of Tarot cards, so I stopped in at the local Barnes and Nobel, and strode boldly through the "New Age" section, where the Tarot are on display. This section is conveniently located right next to the "Religious Books" section. "Religious" has a very specific meaning in Memphis. There were three or four students from the local Bible college looking at the religious books. I picked up a couple of packs of cards and went up to the counter. I felt kind of uncomfortable, because I figured that I was going to become the recipient of some kind of religious proselytizing at the counter.

As I paid for the cards, I mentioned to the clerk that I had noticed that the Rider pack had changed considerably in the last few months, with the change of the lettering. He said "I usually use the Crowley Deck, myself."

You never know!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
I know what you mean, Bill. The New Age section of the local bookstore is also right next to the Religion one.

I haven't had any serious problems. Usually just a suspicious look at first, but overall pretty good. Actually, up north I found that it was more that people didn't care one way or another. They found them unusual but really of no opinion. It could have also just been the areas where I was too, so I don't want to make any kind of sweeping statement. I figure if I have no serious issues, then I'm happy with that.
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2004-06-08 13:53, Margarette wrote:

Um...did I happen to mention the fact that Benjamin's father and I have been divorced for 12 years?

Margarette

Margarette,

One key question is: Who has custody of your son? From a legal standpoint, this could become an issue. Several times over the last several years, people have had challenges to custody made by a parten's involvement in "occult practices," whether tarot cards or any of the Wiccan religions.

Just how concerned are you about your ex and his attitude? Is he one to go screaming to the authorities that you are allowing "corrupting influences" into your son's life (or, worse, are fostering those influences)?

From where I sit, that would seem to be far more the issue that a question between you and your son on tarot cards. But I also admit that I don't have all of the facts, either.

Suggested decks might be Rider-Waite, Robin Wood Deck (a personal friend and really neat lady) and the Tarot of the Roses. These are all pretty G- rated.

Just a few comments from an outsider who has seen too many people run into relationship troubles over the years that were based on one party misunderstanding the actualities of a situation (and being backed up by the courts that also misunderstand such things).

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
[quote]On 2004-06-08 13:04, Peter Marucci wrote:
If your son is interested in ANYTHING other than drugs, sex, or booze be grateful.
[
/quote]Why not try readings with playing cards, they are based on the tarot.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
[quote]On 2004-06-17 14:49, solidglint wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-06-08 13:04, Peter Marucci wrote:
[
/quote]Why not try readings with playing cards, they are based on the tarot.

Actually it's the other way round. Playing Cards pre-date the Tarot by nearly a century and neither were used for divination until the Eighteenth century
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Fishsticks
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
70 Posts

Profile of Fishsticks
My mom won't let me have tarot cards.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
What possibe harm could it do to let him have his own tarot deck. The Waiter deck is harmless a also the most popular.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
bkentner
View Profile
New user
Davenport, Nebraska
61 Posts

Profile of bkentner
Tarot cards are just a thing. They are not good, bad or indifferent. Whether you let him get the information has no bearing. He will find the information either way. Your job is to help him to interpret and process this new information.

So, having tarot cards and books is not bad. Having them without some parental guidance is. But, from the sounds of you posts, I don't think that will be an issue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tarot cards and age appropriateness (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL