The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tricks for "leisurely performers" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

I came across a line that really spoke to me in Henry Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook (p. 242 in my hardback). In his discussion of how to choose tricks that are "right for *you*," he says: "In the long run a necessarily rapid-fire trick will not satisfy a leisurely performer."

My natural pace is slow. I speak slowly, for instance, and do best when no one is rushing me. So I'm wondering if anyone can suggest tricks that are especially suitable for those of us who are tuned to a leisurely speed.

Thanks,

Bob
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
So many effects I do are with a 'Story patter'- With Story patter -the're usually done slowly. That way, it's NOT "I FOOLED YOU. HA HA".,
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
Hi Bob. I also like to take my time when performing. A lot of self-working tricks are process heavy which can be a liability if you are wanting fast-paced, snappy, visual magic. However, I've found that process heavy tricks are perfect for me, especially when you lean into the process of the trick and turn it into a strength. He who must not be named has some wonderful ideas on this. PM me and I'll share them with you.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi Russo and Gatsby,

Russo: I love magic with stories. Often I get interested in learning a trick precisely because a story to go with it occurs to me. Of course, some sleights *have* to be done quickly, or at least casually...?

Gatsby: I'll PM you. I like *visual* magic. As long as it isn't fast-paced and snappy. Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Many silk effects are slow paced as it takes the material a while to drift/float into place. Even silk juggling can seem magical.

I leaned to perform Sympathetic Silks more than 60 years ago and still have the silks I purchases at the 'Five and Dime' for a 40 cents each.

Dissolving knot and 20th century can be performed with lot of artistry.

Linking Rings can be performed very slowly, especially to music.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I really like these suggestions, Ken. As it happens, I've been working with Ruth Rice Crone (not sure I have her names in the right order) on putting together some pamphlets, tricks, and silks to start with. The silks appeal to my love of color, and I like the idea of their drifting into place. I never thought I'd juggle, but silk juggling sounds like fun.

Once I've started to learn some of the tricks you mention, I'll write to you and ask about how to perform artistically.

Interesting that Linking Rings can be performed slowly... but, one thing at a time!

Bob
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Years ago when working with disabled kids in connection with The Vanishing Wheelchair Foundation, I got a young woman into silk juggling as a form of therapy.
he had limited arm flexibility and often made jerky motions that disturbed other people.

The tossing of the silks in the traditional "across the center" aim became a practiced move, and any jerk was masked by all eyes following the floating silks.
Since the tossed silks descended slowly, she could catch them even imperfectly and continue without fear. Yup, confidence was the greatest result.

When she performed at the monthly public show she wore a special multicolored dress made by her grandmother for the occasion.

No one noticed her leg braces or that one arm was longer than the other, or very thick glasses or jerky motions.

All the audience remembers is an endless spiral of colored handkerchiefs dancing in the air in seemingly impossible puffs of appearance and graceful flutter never reaching the ground.

Not a magic effect, but very magical. It could certainly be a flourish in between silk effects.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Lovely story, Ken. I'll bet the young woman you worked with was exultant. I admire people like you and my daughter who work with people who have physical or intellectual disabilities.

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tricks for "leisurely performers" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL