The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Master The Undercut with Liam Montier and Bigblindmedia (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ozman
View Profile
Loyal user
Tenbury Wells, UK
272 Posts

Profile of ozman
Ello folks

we launched a brand new exclusive download video this week - 'Master The Undercut with Liam Montier'. It's a masterclass in the venerable 'double undercut'. I know most people will think that this is a basic move (and one they already have nailed), but Liam Montier has applied his usual fantastic thinking to the sleight and crafted a killer indepth video lesson. In fact the download consists of TEN lessons:
Controls I
Controls II
Displacements I
Displacements II
With Multiple Cuts
As A False Cut
With Multiple Selections
Braue Reversal
To The Table
Troubleshooting

So Liam teaches you how to use this simple move to achieve controls, displacements, false cuts, stock controls and more.

You can learn more and watch a trailer at:
https://bigblindmedia.com/products/maste......download
Max Milagro
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Max Milagro
I got this and as other BBM-launches this is very much worth it. As usual Liam Montier is an attentive and calm teacher. I bought this because I'm always looking for ways to improve my basic sleights. You think you have mastered them but it's that one or two percent correction that sometimes makes a huge progress.
smikey12000
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of smikey12000
I am sure this is great
and Maybe I should pick it up
(as BBM and Liam are first class magic all the way)
But David Williamson once told me
he wishes all magicians would just do away with the double under cut
I think the quote was
"Can we all just agree to vanish it off the face of the earth please"
and find a better (I guess he meant - less suspicious way)
to achieve the exact same 'control' or placement of the card/stack etc...
with the myriad of alternative ways in the armamentarium that can be used...
Happens to be I still like to use it sometimes
(But my armemantarium is much smaller than his...lol...)
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Oh cool, I didn’t even know I had an armamentarium.
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2020, smikey12000 wrote:
I am sure this is great
and Maybe I should pick it up
(as BBM and Liam are first class magic all the way)
But David Williamson once told me
he wishes all magicians would just do away with the double under cut
I think the quote was
"Can we all just agree to vanish it off the face of the earth please"
and find a better (I guess he meant - less suspicious way)
to achieve the exact same 'control' or placement of the card/stack etc...
with the myriad of alternative ways in the armamentarium that can be used...
Happens to be I still like to use it sometimes
(But my armemantarium is much smaller than his...lol...)

This is a good point. We get so hooked on the classics... But of course, this raises the question: what do people think are the best alternatives to the double undercut?
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I read somewhere that cutting the deck from the bottom to the top, as in the double undercut, looks, to a layman, unnatural. But the same move can be done, more naturally, cutting the top to the bottom.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Yes, you can do the same thing but cut from the top to the bottom. I try to remember to do this as much as possible and it does look better.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
I'm looking forward to the next release, "How to remove playing cards from the box with Liam Montier and Bigblindmedia".
AJ MAJIC
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of AJ MAJIC
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, Doric wrote:
I'm looking forward to the next release, "How to remove playing cards from the box with Liam Montier and Bigblindmedia".

hahahahahahahahaha Smile
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:

I was kind of thinking the along the same lines. This is not a complicated sleight. It is a casual "mix" of the cards. It's not rocket surgery.
Max Milagro
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Max Milagro
Quote:

Me too! But a lot of magicians are (over)using the undercut, because it is a fairly easy sleight. And a lot of magicians don't take the effort to master it properly, just because it is an easy sleight. And many magicians I've seen using the undercut, perform it poorly. Therefore I always try to learn from different sources. And this masterclass fits the bill.
Oh and yes, I've seen magicians removing cards from a box in a very sloppy and unorthodox manner ...
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
My comment was made tongue in cheek. Liam always adds a tonne of value to his releases.

As for taking the cards out of the box, Michael Vincent covers it on one of his DVDs, so it is actually a thing that's taught.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
The teaser doesn’t show this used in action... that should tell you all you need to know. I agree with Williamson, and have for a very, very long time. The double undercut is the most transparent move done by adults in card magic. Save your money for the “How to remove the cellophane from a deck of cards“ video Coming next month. It will include such important things as “how to properly pronounce cellophane”, and “how to actually spell cellophane.” And as a bonus it will include “how to remove the advertising card” as well as “how, when, and where to remove the jokers”. Plus, if you preorder in the next week we will add an extra bonus “when to leave the jokers in the pack.
Max Milagro
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Max Milagro
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2020, Tom Cutts wrote:
The double undercut is the most transparent move done by adults in card magic.

If memory serves me right the double undercut was invented by Dai Vernon. And Vernon was known for never making an unjustified move.
Personally I often use the double undercut. I believe cutting the deck to most laymen is a form of mixing. Cutting and shuffling all serve the same purpose. And done well it should go unnoticed.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I disagree about the double undercut being weak. Like any sleight, if it's done well, it's very convincing. I haven't seen Liam's work on it, but based on his work with other so called basic sleights, I'll bet he has some great touches on the double under cut.

There are many touches one can implement to make it more deceptive. For example, I usually do one undercut (keeping the left hand still and moving the right) and then a swivel cut for the rest of the packet. It's the same thing as a DUC but looks that much more convincing.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
187 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Joel Paschall’s work on the undercut lends a much needed level of convincingness to the sleight.
ScarneAce
View Profile
Regular user
In a Galaxy far, far away...
150 Posts

Profile of ScarneAce
I like Liam and BBM produce high quality DVDs but this one seems a bit redundant

I watched a couple of Liams performances on youtube, you can see him using the double undercut here at the minute mark, looks fairly standard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF6hjjagmGU

Good luck to them but in my mind this just seems like they are running low on ideas

Instead of the double undercut I prefer the swivel cut control by Gilles Couture
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Yes it’s a decent move done well and I remember Daryl using it a lot and infact he never taught the pass ( only the bluff pass ) because done well or it’s variants it can be strong .
If it’s good enough for Daryl then it’s very good , personally I use different versions of the principle and also like cutting multiple packets to the break after some false cuts or shuffles particularly if I have a table .
A good solid easy control is far better than a poor pass which you see lots of .
Liam always has great nuances on his dvds and his calm teaching is always very good too imo Gaz 🙂
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
Hi all,

Just to touch base on a couple of things - this download is aimed at people literally just getting started with cards. I hear and understand all the input about there being better moves, and there certainly are - but everyone has to start somewhere, and the double undercut is easy and deceptive, and a lot more versatile than a lot of magicians realise. Therefore, it's a great starting point to get people hooked on the art of sleight of hand, which is always my goal.

Despite the comments (mostly from people who haven't actually seen the download) I stand by it as having great value to the right people.

Thanks,

Liam.
Mark Timon
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
You can follow Liam real job here Smile

https://www.youtube.com/c/TomPembertonFarmLife
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Master The Undercut with Liam Montier and Bigblindmedia (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL