The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Gambling Maneuvers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I understand, to some extent, why in books by Erdnase, Darwin Ortiz and perhaps others, large sections on gambling moves are presented along with sections on sleight of hand. I am curious to know if experienced practitioners find that gambling moves are transferable into sleight of hand card magic. Perhaps some gambling moves are more amenable than others to be used in card sleights. To a superficial observer like myself it appears that it would be difficult to incorporate gambling moves into card magic.

Any thoughts or opinions?
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Really?? No one ha wondered why gamnbling moves are bundled with sleight of hand instructions in some of the most revered "magic" texts? Whether or not there is cross-over utility? Oh well, it was worth a try. Smile

Cheers,
Teddy
dustrod
View Profile
Loyal user
Western Wisconsin, USA, Earth
233 Posts

Profile of dustrod
TeddyBoy, if I'm understanding your question correctly you're asking if Gambling effects (or those that specialize such) are interchangeable to those who are also performing card magic or if the 2 don't really go together?
If so, what I've personally found to be true is that those that are heavy on the Gambling Routines usually refer to themselves as Card Mechanics rather than any other label that would go along with a magician. I've only read 2 Darwin Ortiz books and I think sleight of hand is still an important need for a Card Mechanic, just in a different way than an otherwise normal magician. Their persona is one of a true expert at card handling to the degree of being able to stack a deck almost magically before your eyes and always deal themselves a winning hand rather than being able to manipulate time or space or work in predictions or anything of the sort.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks DR. Your perspective makes sense. I was simply wondering if sleight of hand card magi also use the kind of manipulations that card mechanics use. The more I think about it, it is not that interesting a question. A guy like Darwin Ortiz simply is an expert in both card techniques and writes about both. Thanks for answering.

Cheers,
Teddy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think the way people tend to form that question is to ask what techniques from card cheating have migrated to magic.

Second Deal, Bottom Deal, handmucks, deck switches are all possible answers. One could debate the time spent perfecting the moves to the actual conjuring usefulness ratio.

The Zarrow shuffle has been touted as the one technique that made the reverse migration--from the world of magic to cheating. But I've seen knowledgeable folks take issue with that.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thank you, that was a very interesting answer. Just what I wanted.

Cheers,
Teddy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Gambling Maneuvers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL