The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Business Opportunity Question!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
I just wanted to share this concept with all here to find out what you guys have to say.

Our IBM/SAM local club is wanting to raise funds for our club and its members. One of our members (and current treasurer) has successfully run a Bingo Game for other fraternal organizations in the past. he wants to do the same here. Our club is non-profit and have the papers to prove it, under the "IBM Ring 332" name.

His goal is to take the funds generated from the Bingo game and use them to pay individual performers to perform at places, where you usually don't get paid much or at all. This will allow members to make a living on magic and also give some magic back to people who may not be able to afford it.

There has been some questions about Bingo, and non-profit, and how the pay structure would work.

If there is anyone out there who has experience in these matters please share them with all of us here.

S. Patrick
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of magicgetsgirls
I have no experience whatsoever with fundraising, but maybe if a few decent magicians did a few shows on the streets, they could donate any possible tips? I'm more than certain that most(if not all) of you perform solely for fun, so maybe every other tip you kindly receive could go into the pot. I'll definetely help once I'm a member of IBM, but I plan to join once I'm good at magic.

Peter

Sorry Patrick, I realize my proposal was not in the least bit original or revolutionary, but it may add up quickly. As long as none of the magicians are begging for tips, the biggest problem will either be failure or feedback, depending on your optimism (or pessimism) regarding your dedication to the group.

What I'm trying to say is, be optimistic, and (if this may be the case) humor me by trying EVERY SINGLE idea ANYONE might think up.

Most likely, none of this is information you didn't already know, but I truly hope it can still help nonetheless.
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2004-06-08 14:54, spatrick wrote:
... His goal is to take the funds generated from the Bingo game and use them to pay individual performers ...

In OH the law governing Bingo states that you can not pay people to work for it. I know it is interpeted as paying people to sell the instant tickets or pay the Bingo caller and you can certainly pay the air conditioning repairman.

But, will the state you are in allow funds from Bingo games to pay anybody in the manner you suggest?

Just a thought.
Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
bkentner
View Profile
New user
Davenport, Nebraska
61 Posts

Profile of bkentner
The question is to difficult to answer. The laws governing bingo and how the money can be used vary widely from state to state. Usually they fall under the states gambling commission. You will need to check with your home states commission for this answer.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Hi Spatrick:

Try pacode.com and search on bingo as the search term. If you have access to a law library check the Pennsylvania Code Chapter 10 for a full covering of the topic of Bingo. Then you should be able to locate the answers as to what you can do or can't do. It also appears your organization will need to be licensed to conduct the Bingo games.

I'm not a lawyer, just did a little google searching. Hope this helps.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Business Opportunity Question!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL