The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » MINDVENTION GOES ONLINE! (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
The first ever virtual MV just hours away. I’m excited but I have no idea what it’s going to be like.

I’m going to be doing an hourly blog at Magic Pendulums. If you’ve read my blogs about previous MINDventions you know I tell how it is. Good or bad. (We’ve posted my MV blogs from other years. Have a look.)

Really looking forward to this event. I lecture tomorrow at 11:15. Hope to see you there.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
marcpaul
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of marcpaul
My lecture is today! (17th Jan 2021 at 10am EST that's 3pm UK time)
I'm really excited to share some material that I've been working on recently for Socially Distant live environments. No spectators on stage. No going into the audience and no handing out or borrowing of props. Also no pre-show or meeting with people before the show. By their nature these routines can also be performed in virtual shows. I'll be sharing...
A method for using the numbers generated in a Magic Square to create a very strong and direct number prediction.
Predicting who is the most intuitive member of your audience.
Directly reading the minds of several members of the audience while they remain in their seats and how to build this into an effect like Q and A with the whole audience involved.
I'll re-visit a classic self-working card trick that can now be personalised for your virtual clients. Giving the impression that you have created a bespoke show just for them.
A strong, powerful chair prediction routine. Where no-one leaves their seat!

And finally we'll do a mini workshop together on Annemann's Classic Billet switch so that you'll be able to perform it invisibly. As part of this I'll teach my handling of Telepathy Plus...that has NO visible one ahead!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2021, dj wrote:
ParaLabs (Rainer&Thomas)?

Some speakers are hidden as a surprise in the so called "Mindvention Minutes" (actually a full hour...)... you meet them (and me) there ... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Franky
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Franky
Mindvention Minutes: great lecture by Jan about the right handling of wallets in mentalism.His version of "Name and Place“ with the Dr.Jaks wallet is well structured and the use of the wallet is well motivated. Great Job Jan! Herbert
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Not a lot mentioned on how this went doing it the first time online. What was the hi-lite, and was it a success. Although I didn't join this year, if it played well in this environment todays world is experiencing, it does open an exciting possibility.
Mark Timon
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
Jan Foster was the best of all three days, Marc Paul was also fine but for the most part, performers trying to push their products and boring ramblings. Obviously the organizers didn't think of doing a quality check of the material that the performers were to present. Lets face it, Mentalism reached long time ago its peak of creativity.
corindaman
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of corindaman
I thought Keith Barry was very good as well. I do agree that there was possibly a bit too much of ‘Performace and buisness advice’. Perhaps one or two speakers could concentrate on that but it does get a bit repetitive. Jan’s lecture was spot on with specific advice using a prop. More of that please.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Thanks Mark & corindaman. Yes Jan is awesome and it seems his lecture was the stand out at Mindvention.
Winnes
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Winnes
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2021, Mark Timon wrote:
Jan Foster was the best of all three days, Marc Paul was also fine but for the most part, performers trying to push their products and boring ramblings. Obviously the organizers didn't think of doing a quality check of the material that the performers were to present. Lets face it, Mentalism reached long time ago its peak of creativity.

Eh? Totally disagree with this (except for the Jan Foster and Marc Paul bit, but I would describe Marc's session as far more than "fine"). For me, Jan and Marc were absolutely excellent and I took more away from a few minutes from David Thiel and Joshua Lozoff than I have from a lot of other material and performers recently.

I attended a few of the workshops, again all were excellent in their own ways. Those aside though, the price of entry for the information given was a steal and whilst I hope that we get back to face-to-face events soon, Luca, Renato and Danny did an excellent job and I hope continue with this format at least in part.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I think that from a pure learning perspective, this was the best MV ever. I took away a number of great concepts and new ideas.

Obviously an on-line convention can never duplicate the other huge component of MV: the human interaction. Some of my fondest memories of MV came from moments shared with other performers in Jack's Pub...or heading out to see a show on the Strip with people I'd just met...or spending time with friends I hadn't seen since the previous MV. For me, the Zoom gatherings didn't do it.

But you can't reasonably compare the on-line experience with the in-person one -- they are very different animals.

Am I glad they did MV this year? Absolutely!

Do I feel the content was worthwhile? No question.

Did I still have that sense of community? Yup.

It was a great experience. Hopefully we can do it again LIVE -- but I will happily settle for another on-line experience.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I really think that is was an overall great convention. Nevertheless, I look forward to the next "real" convention in 2022 and meeting all of you in person again. Looking at the list of registered participants I could see that a least 90% were all people I know personal. Sort of good and strange feeling the same time. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
It would be great if there could be a download for us who couldn't attend
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2021, EricDraven wrote:

there was
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10607 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Downloads? I thought it was just limited window access?
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2021, Mindpro wrote:
Downloads? I thought it was just limited window access?

yeah, you're right. I just meant there was a way to watch if you couldn't attend.
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2021, the Sponge wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2021, EricDraven wrote:

there was

yes...there "was"
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » MINDVENTION GOES ONLINE! (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL