The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Best business card paper for writing on (billet work) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Hey guys,

I want to buy some blank business cards for billet routines. I bought some blank stock on amazon but sharpies, ball point and gel pens all smear like crazy! What's the best stock for this?

UPRINTING.com has a decent deal on uncoated 14 pt. Is that the way to go?
Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I am convinced there is none. Unless you get cotton then they don't slide easily.

I have some double blank bicycle but they don't tear very well.

I think index cards are best for writing and tearing. But I am only one man and this is only one man's opinion and we know what they say about those.
luiscubanmentalist
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of luiscubanmentalist
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2020, ixnay66 wrote:
Hey guys,

I want to buy some blank business cards for billet routines. I bought some blank stock on amazon but sharpies, ball point and gel pens all smear like crazy! What's the best stock for this?

UPRINTING.com has a decent deal on uncoated 14 pt. Is that the way to go?
Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated.

I would do uncoated for business cards but index cards are the best for billet work.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I have index cards but I really like T-Rex with a business card.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Cheap business card stock is the best. Rubbing both sides against each other like sanding them will fix the sliding issue.
Lakewood, Ohio
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
A very small amount of baby powder rubbed into business cards makes them slide more easily.

Barry
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Sadly the small town print shop is all but extent so you cannot go in and browse the types of card stock available.

Usually the cheaper the card stock the better for use as a billet. The type of card stock used for appointment cards (doctor's office imprint on one side and appoint date and time on the reverse) seems to work.

I use the Osterlind paper that he developed specifically for his Perfect Center Tear. They make find billets for switches, peeks, and of course, the center tear. The Osterlind paper/card is the same length as a regular business card however it is a half-inch wider. There is no smearing of ink from a ballpoint pen or Sharpie. There is no bleed-through from a Sharpie or similar marker. Costs $4.00 a pad of 125 sheets (what's that less than half a penny for 10 sheets?).

https://osterlindmysteries.com/store/ind......ucr3q5p0
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Often if you get raised print on one side it makes separation easier.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Linen and Strathmore used to be the most popular back in the day. And then other stocks such as EC-2 and onion skin came out and those became better.

Nowadays you can still find linen stock but gangrun printers have turned 14,16 and 18-point UV coated and spot UV coated stocks into the more desired options.

I have a design business and have been using the same printers for all my clients jobs. Go with a matte 14-point back. It’s the best option next to linen you’ll find these days for writing on the cards.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
UPRINT.com has 14 Pt. cardstock, uncoated as the cheap option. I'm hoping this is what I'm looking for.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Best business card paper for writing on (billet work) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL