The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Dress Code (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
I guess this has been asked before but as a table/walk around magician here in the U.K.I am still not so sure as to the dress code I should adopt.

The choices I have at the moment are a formal dinner suit with dress shirt, etc., or a very smart jacket and trousers with shirt and tie. I usually ask clients what they prefer me to wear and if the function is formal or not --is this the way to go guys and does anyone have any suggestions?

I feel that in either I look smart and can load my pockets, etc., as I require.
Thank you in advance ...Trevor Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Trevor,
You've pretty much got it:
A) Find out if the client has any preferences and go with that, if possible;
if not, (B) dress well and appropriately.
As long as you look good, there should be no problem.
There are thousands of recommendations -- dress one step up from the audience; dress as if you had someplace better to go later; etc.
But the basic rule is simple:
Dress neatly and be clean.
You certainly can't go wrong there! Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
Thanx Peter,The reason I asked the question is that I recently did a performance and the client rang the next day to say that his guests really enjoyed the magic, but they thought I was just another guest who did magic. What he thought was if I stood out from the other guests then they would realise he had booked a magician,
regards Trevor Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I normally wear specially made waistcoats of jacket length (almost sleeveless jackets.
Currently I wear black velvet with small black sequins and antique silver buttons with black inlay. This seems acceptable to my clients, even at very upmarket events and I am NEVER mistaken for a guest or waiter.

I once did a show for 11 top oil executives that where staying at a huge mansion for business and hunting. The owner of the mansion had servants, the lot. Even he complimented me on my dress as looking the part whilst maintaining the desired standard.
Phillip
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
In response to something Trevor said, I wonder if we want to look different. When I do parties, one of my options is "invite me to the party". This just means that I will come just like any other guest but slowly work the crowd in small groups enternaing with magic and my wit and charm. Since this is basically how I began, (getting invited to parties and doing some magic), I thought why not get invited to parties because of my magic?

I think if everyone knows there is a paid magician in the house, it may detract from my host's party. It is after all their party, and I'm just one attraction. There are situations when people want a definite separation between guest and magician, but what do you think? Does anyone else do something similiar to me? Smile
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
Thanks --another quick reply from you guys.

I agree with all the above and was happy dressing the way I was and it was only one client who said I should look so different.

So I intend to dress formal when the function is so and normal smart jacket, etc., for the less formal.

As I keep getting bookings, I must have something right.
..Trevor Smile
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Hi there.

I take three jackets to most of my walkaround gigs. One, as in my photo, very bright and cheerfull, one black and shiney/showy and one very smart. I always have on a black, but showily decorated shirt. 8 times out of 10, when the booker sees the choice he opts for the bright one, occaisionally the black and showy. I've never been asked to wear the conservative one, but it's always there if needed.

I DO feel that it's important for me to stand out from the other guests, When I first started I only had a nice blazer, looked smart but some people actually said, "Who the hell are you?" That never happens now.

Contact me if you want the address of the guy who makes my jackets in the UK.

Cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Oh I forgot, someone, here I think, posted the Idea of having a length of magician's rope hanging round your neck as you approach a table, makes you stand out if you are dressed the same as the audience.

Nice one.

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Dress Code (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL