The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic for a Job Interview (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kenardo1
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Kenardo1
I always included mentioning magic as one of four interests at the bottom of my resume. Most interviewers usually look for an "easy" intoductory question and if they take the bait on a special interest, you can show off your speaking and presentation skills as you talk knowledgeably, passionately, and intelligently about your hobby - but never, never do a trick. If you hook the interest of the interviewer at the beginning, it will help you be successful throughout the interview.
Another interesting question regards doing magic in the corporate world. I would advise doing so sparingly. Do it at very special moments and only when requested. Here is an example:
I was a hired as a senior executive in a major publishing company and it was imperative that I bond with the sales force at the upcoming national sales meeting. I also was hired from outside the industry which was a negative to the sales force. I was requested to perform and did a half hour close-up show at the meeting. It was a success. But I never did any more magic at work until several years later when my company acquired another company and once again I had to win the backing of the new salespeople. One of the most experienced and respected of the new group, after a dinner, came over to me and said he heard I was a magician and if I was any good I should be able to change his $1 to a $20. It just so happened that I had a loaded thumbtip in my suit pocket from a previous magic gig, so I stunned him. I also vowed to never do another trick for him again because I could never exceed the impact of that one performance.
Hope this helps.
spkrosky
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of spkrosky
Here's my advice for YOU, Matt. Not for others, but for you, judging from the fact that you have posted elsewhere that you'd like to do magic for a living. SKIP THE INTERVIEW! Yes, I know this one is just for a class, but if you have the full intention of going it full time, don't let anything like a day job distract you. I know-- I'm stuck in one. Rehearsal time is scarce, time to market myself is scarcer, and it seems like I'm always running myself into the ground. I much rather if I could do it again would have been poor a few years and built a full time business rather than neglecting my love of magic and trying to back into the biz this way. In any case, good luck.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Magic_matt

What job are you going for?

We can't really answer unless we know a lot more about the potetial job.

Your presentation/interview and resume should change for each job.

It's like (it is) marketing to different markets:
Different biz card for kids entertainers Different biz card for trade shows.

Your presentation, resume and even dress should be tailored to the actual job you are going for.

But if this is a practise one leave out the magic and practise what you have been learning in class. It will help you later.

cheers

Dave
The Bonnie Kids
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden (Västerås)
267 Posts

Profile of The Bonnie Kids
Quote:
On 2004-11-03 11:42, spkrosky wrote:
Here's my advice for YOU, Matt. Not for others, but for you, judging from the fact that you have posted elsewhere that you'd like to do magic for a living. SKIP THE INTERVIEW! Yes, I know this one is just for a class, but if you have the full intention of going it full time, don't let anything like a day job distract you. I know-- I'm stuck in one. Rehearsal time is scarce, time to market myself is scarcer, and it seems like I'm always running myself into the ground. I much rather if I could do it again would have been poor a few years and built a full time business rather than neglecting my love of magic and trying to back into the biz this way. In any case, good luck.

I agree, with my heart, with spkrosky, but it is difficult to give a 100% correct answer. I should be a magician for doing that.
You never know, life is strange; suddenly closes some doors, suddenly opens new ones.
If you feel for magic, because you really like it, do it. You have to manage, you believe in it because you like it.
Try to marry a wife with a completely different job (the so called 8 hours a day job, boring but "reliable") and jump into magic.
Good Luck!
/Andrea
(I have not done it, even if I really liked magic and practised it everyday for years)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic for a Job Interview (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL