The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Can old fash paper and cotten be revived? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
A friend says her flash cotton and flash paper don't work after being unused so long due to the Pandemic.

I told her I suspect she should just dry it but I wanted to hear from someone with experience. Just spread it out on a tray in the sunlight or is there some other process/
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I've had flash cotton, flash paper, and flash string stored for at least 2 years and it worked fine. Never had a problem with it.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I've got Paper, Cotton and String that's over 20 years old that still works fine. If you keep it in an airtight container there should be no problem.

How is your friend storing it?

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Jonah_Illusionist
View Profile
New user
Saint George, Utah
23 Posts

Profile of Jonah_Illusionist
I use flash paper in a finger flasher quite often, so it's hard for me to have extra laying around for long periods of time, however I have had flash paper lay around for close to a year and never had a problem with it igniting, I just dry it out completely and it works fine.

Jonah
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I had it happen to me once. I lit the flashpaper and it burned slowly so instead of being used up in the flash the flaming paper went right down to the floor.

I'm sure the problem is storage but my friend wanted to know how to fix the suff she has.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I'm not aware of anything she can do at this point. She can chalk it up as a learning experience of how to store it correctly.
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
She can fool with it and burn her eyebrows off in the process.throw it away,get fresh stuff,store it properly...
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Flash Paper should be stored in a metal container, like those holiday cookie tins, with a tight fitting lid.

Slow burning flash paper is in my experience the result of the manufacturing process. At the local magic shop they get samples for demonstration purposes. stanped as demonstration supply. Or use to when I worked their. I was there one day when the lady sales clerk, had the tin open, and laid a blown out match on a piece of flash paper, well it ignited the whole tin and the flames leaped into the air and onto the floor. Luckily, it was so fast the carpet did not catch on fire.

I don't advise putting the flash paper in the sun, as it can ignite the paper from being heated up. To dry out, just put in a tin, and leave the lid, open a little. And keep an eye on it. Most houses are dry, and will draw out the moisture from the paper.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Can old fash paper and cotten be revived? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL