The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Ken Klosterman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
My dear friend, mentor, boss (?) and a million other things, Ken Klosterman has passed on. Ken had aliments that would have killed people years ago. But as he said "I'm a tough old weed they can kill." But his body finally just wore down.
Ken started as many of us with an interest in magic as a young boy but put it aside when he needed to support his family. Building his family baking business into a multi million dollar business supplying clients such as McDonald's, Chic Filet, Arby's, Fritchs, and Kroger. He was innovative in his sales by introducing private label bread for customers. On a chance business meeting in Chicago, he happened onto a magic collector's meeting. The flame was reignited. He developed one of the largest if not the most significant historical magic collections in the world. Recusing the remnants of the Circus Museum of Sarasota, he expanded and documented every item. Stored carefully underground in a mine accessed by traveling 83' 6" down into, the arranged the artifacts into rooms with various treasures. The miracles of Karl Germain, Alexander Herrmann, Harry Kellar, Houdini, Powell, Dr. Jaks and so many others have been properly preserved for the future. His collection has been archived onto a huge database that is fully searchable. With over 4800 pieces of apparatus, 34,000 pieces of ephemera, 9,000 books, 120 various bound periodical files, 1800 posters, 1800 catalogs,800 coins and tokens, and 2100 decks of cards, it has been a massive undertaking to fully document each item with multiple photos, authentication and directions.
Over the past 15 years, I have been able to help Ken archive and curate his collection. His hope was to eventually make this database available on a subscription basis through the cloud. We are still working to that goal.
Ken had always been eager to show his collection to the pros and amateurs alike. Copperfield, Penn and Teller, Blackstone, Pendragons and so many others traveled to visit the mine and collection. Researchers found Ken a willing person share his vast archives.
He was one of a kind. He got back into magic at the perfect time. Collecting was not expensive and he had the money, time, vision and energy to develop his collection.
Rest in peach dear friend. Your legacy is secure. I will miss you terribly.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Glenn Aga
View Profile
New user
Laguna Niguel, CA
31 Posts

Profile of Glenn Aga
Just saw this news. So sad to hear- Ken was one of a kind and his legacy, real legacy lives on for those of us in the magic community due to his and your collective efforts to preserve and curate his amazing collection. I first met Ken at the Smithsonian Institution in Wash DC over 20 years ago. He presented his collection as part of a public education forum on American Magic History. Unforgettable. My deepest condolences to the Klosterman family and Ken’s magic friends.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/watch/ke......BB1alcsd
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3509 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
My deepest condolences to his friends and family.
I remember meeting him at a Magi-Fest when the dealers set up in their sleeping rooms. Unlike the dealers rooms of other conventions, this gave an opportunity to actually meet and remember people. I was working for Ted Carrothers; he and Ken would converse as friends do when catching up after a time of not seeing each other.
Me, being a young 20ish something kid at the time, I still remember the way he shared his knowledge with me.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Here's a final tour of Ken's magic collection, the Salon de Magie. It's truly phenomenal.

GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Yes it is phenomenal and I will be watching closely as Part 1 of the collection goes to auction this Saturday at Potter & Potter.
RIP to Ken Klosterman, a loss for the Magic World as well as those who knew him.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'm very sorry for your loss.

That said, I am absolutely in awe of that collection listing! Walking into the room where he housed that collection must have been absolutely breathtaking.

Rest in Peace Mr. Klosterman, wherever you may be!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Ken Klosterman (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL