The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Lester Lake (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Hugard's MAGIC Monthly for January 1950 had an oddly backhanded description of Lake's act. He doesn't call him by name, referring to him as "little man strangely resembling a rabbet. Lakes routine consisted of his dialog with the victim, the tallest showgirl who's bare leg was in chopper. No adult would be worried about the girl, the chopper was an oversize finger chopper, though it worked differently.
Although I was at an audience of grade schoolers brought to real tears by the similar Abbott prop. The magician said it was all in good fun, but there were some children really upset. The principal said he would never have another magic show; good clean fun.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
bubbles
View Profile
New user
The 5th Dimension
99 Posts

Profile of bubbles
Thank you for sharing this, I'm an instant Lester Lake fan now!
That link was incredible, I must learn more about him.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
There's a big all about him called, Buried Alive Every Afternoon Burned Alive Every Evening: The Life of Lester Lake – By Julie A. Schlesselman.

Gerry
bubbles
View Profile
New user
The 5th Dimension
99 Posts

Profile of bubbles
Thank you Gerry! I'll track down a copy of that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Lester Lake (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL