The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Amazing Floating Pen by Rodrigo Romano (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
WolfgangStiller
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs, Colorado
218 Posts

Profile of WolfgangStiller
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2020, Xcath1 wrote:
I bought it. I don’t think it’s any worse than any other IT hookup. Best for online for sure. I admit I was curious about the ring and so are some of you.

So, does this bring anything new to the table? Is this worth getting maybe just for ideas?
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
How long does the setup take from start to finish? Thanks.
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Philippe
You chaps are soooo funny, I answered the question! However, I made a mistake! Not enough shown in demo, wider shot in all fairness, really should have been shown. Enough said. Ok now?
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
But...but ...the ring!!!

How?!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
The secret is exactly what you might expect. This can only be performed for zoom shows and the trailer is a blatant lie. The set-up isn't crazy difficult and uses items that you probably have around the house including water bottles, tape, paper clips etc., and that secret something (ahem). The way that he uses the hoops is actually quite clever. So, you're getting what you paid for, but this is not a "real-world" trick...Zoom only friends.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
I gave my $5 to charity. Won't be using this. Potentially practical for a non-covid formal show setting if you have great audience management. But you could never do this on the spot. Not even close. But...but..the ring? The answer lies in the extensively difficult and impractical set-up.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Kyle Elder
View Profile
Regular user
Fresno, California
119 Posts

Profile of Kyle Elder
When Patrick and I saw this we were taken back as the trailer made it appear to accomplish the exact same thing as our product. The name is even a one word difference. The trailer even says the creator was inspired by Patrick's Incredible floating pen, but never reached out to Patrick to ask, although we are not to concerned about that as the method is not even close to The Incredible floating pen.
We did get the feeling the creator was hoping to create the impression that his method can accomplish everything ours does but for a price of $5. That does bother us a bit as it may lead people to think our original method is similar or the same but more expensive. The fact that his demo made it look exactly like ours by hiding things off camera, is slightly bothersome. Our concern was it may turn people off from even considering our original method that is much more practical and meant for real world situations. When we had our first prototype of the New Incredible Floating Pen, I took it along with me to the Magic Castle a few times and fooled many people with it, including magicians I have always looked up too, some very humbling moments for me indeed.
Patrick and I went ahead and paid the $5 to make sure we knew what is out there. We agree with the few who have already mentioned, this method is not practical in real world situations. It may be an okay option for Digital performances due to the fact you can hide half the dirty work out of frame. If you are doing the ring move, you will need a very specific obstacle for the ring to be taken out of view first before your able to pass it over and in which you cant move the ring away from the pen with out ending the levitation first.

Here are a few main points the original can do that others may struggle with:

The same pen is used and can be examined before and after.(no switches)
The same ring is used and be examined before and after. (no switches)
You don't need addition objects present (Chairs, water bottles, walls, etc.)
The original almost resets itself you can go from table to table (if you don't mind bringing the close up pad along.)
If you use the close up pad in throughout your set its existence is automatically justified.

I do want to mention price. We know our version isn't the most affordable trick on the market. We understand $495 is a good amount to invest and I understand that completely. The reason is simply 2 main things. The cost of the materials to make one and the amount of time we have to spend in our wood shops to make one. Every close up pad is hand made from wood, quality velvet and framing. It takes weeks to make a small run of them. There are some fancy hand made wooden pads out there that are more expensive then ours that just serve as a high quality pad.

I just wanted to do my best to illustrate the differences here. I wish I could perform The New version of the Incredible Floating in person for each of you and maybe some day I could have that opportunity. Patrick is a clever guy, I'm blessed to call him my friend let alone produce hand made props with him. This is one of those tricks I love performing for myself to just to stare at it as it looks like real magic even up close.

Thank you for reading,

Kyle Elder
www.pk-magic.com
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Boy, Kyle, that demo sure looks good. Any chance you may be releasing a thinner pad?
Kyle Elder
View Profile
Regular user
Fresno, California
119 Posts

Profile of Kyle Elder
Hello Dooblehorn,
Thank you for the kind words. It would be very difficult to make a pad thinner with out sacrificing other elements that make the effect work well. The pad is only 3/4 inch thick, and one of the reasons we chose to make them with wood trim. The wood trimmed edges look more elegant as well as make the pad appear a bit thinner. You can’t see in the demo but the pad has little rubber nubs acting as feet on the bottom of each corner. In the video it may look a little thicker then it is, I’m not sure. I haven’t had anyone comment about the pads thickness, it doesn’t feel out of proportion to raise any suspicion.

Thank you,

Kyle Elder
www.pk-magic.com
psylocke
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of psylocke
Quote:
On May 27, 2021, Kyle Elder wrote:
Hello Dooblehorn,
Thank you for the kind words. It would be very difficult to make a pad thinner with out sacrificing other elements that make the effect work well. The pad is only 3/4 inch thick, and one of the reasons we chose to make them with wood trim. The wood trimmed edges look more elegant as well as make the pad appear a bit thinner. You can’t see in the demo but the pad has little rubber nubs acting as feet on the bottom of each corner. In the video it may look a little thicker then it is, I’m not sure. I haven’t had anyone comment about the pads thickness, it doesn’t feel out of proportion to raise any suspicion.

Thank you,

Kyle Elder
www.pk-magic.com

On the contrary I like thicker pads. Luxury pads are usually thicker like Dan and Dave's pads or Mikame pads.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Amazing Floating Pen by Rodrigo Romano (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL