The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Tricks using both a C/S & a shell? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
A copper/silver coin and an expanded shell are among the most powerful coin gaffs out there. But it seems they are seldom used together, in the same effect — even though my instinctive hunch is that absolute miracles could surely be achieved if both were in play, in tandem, in the same single effect.

If only as a matter of idle curiosity, does anyone have any favorite coin effects that employ both gaffs?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
When Tango came out with C/S TUC I included several effect in "T.U.C. Appreciation."
These can be done with C/S and EXP [ except for the tossing around moves.

I have an additional one called "Affinity C/S" that can use either TUC or the mockTUC.
It is 2 in hand, one in pocket on steroids with an incredible ending of Vanish to Empty in a spectator's hand.

Drop me a line at ken@eversway.com and I'll send a copy.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
A C/S and a Shell is basically a S/M coin (or reverse S/M depending on your definition as to which coin looks "full"). It is an intrical part of Hopping Halves, with the right combo (and coin sizes vs shell) you can do "Samoya" by Rob Thompson or "Soleil et Lune" by Roger Klause (my personal favorite). These 3 I believe to be the "best known uses" but there are many others scattered about in different books and dvds. Unfortunately, many are "one offs" in the book or dvd so they get passed over often. Michael Wild has a nice collection in "Tavern Magic 2"
https://www.lybrary.com/tavern-magic-2-p-237.html
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Hey Poof Daddy, you have to stop making these superb recommendations!! I love sun / moon stuff and will definitely pick this up!! I'm lucky enough to have a custom set which enables me to perform 'soleil et lune' and 'samoya'. Both beautiful although my personal fave is 'samoya' Smile

As a side note, for people in the UK who have the 'envision' coin set by Alakazam, this has the necessary configuration to perform these.

Cheers Poof,

BW

Steve
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2020, stevie c wrote:
perform 'soleil et lune' and 'samoya'. Both beautiful although my personal fave is 'samoya' Smile

We do differ there though. Nothing against Samoya, especially when just done to some music or silently but I prefer Soleil et Lune because the storyline that Lance Pierce performs it to reminds the audience which coin should be where and really brings the whole theme together with a very logical visual that most people know (where the sun rises and sets and how the moon follows it - until magically it doesn’t).

BTW cannot find “envision coin set” on Alakazam (USA or UK) could it be discontinued or called something else? I just wanted to check it out.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Yes, SEL sure is a beautiful routine.

Here is a link to envision, although currently out of stock:-

https://www.alakazam.co.uk/envision-by-dave-loosley.html
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I use to have an old dime & penny trick that I believe worked a lot like this.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
StevenKidwell
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of StevenKidwell
My all time favorite Coin Routine is done with a C/S coin and a shell. Roger Klause's - Soleil et Lune in The Collected Almanac. Roger performed this routine with a custom made coin gaff, but you can do the effect with a normal coin, a good expanded shell and a matching C/S coin for the shell. The set Roger used was designed to mess with magicians a bit, and as I understand it the specially made sets are very difficult to come by now. That said, you don't need the "special" version to do the effect well.
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2020, StevenKidwell wrote:
My all time favorite Coin Routine is done with a C/S coin and a shell. Roger Klause's - Soleil et Lune in The Collected Almanac. Roger performed this routine with a custom made coin gaff, but you can do the effect with a normal coin, a good expanded shell and a matching C/S coin for the shell. The set Roger used was designed to mess with magicians a bit, and as I understand it the specially made sets are very difficult to come by now. That said, you don't need the "special" version to do the effect well.

It's a beautiful routine. As for the coin set, the most simple way to have exactly what you need (if you can't get a custom set) is to take a standard s/m gaff (unexp [ + c/s insert) which you can either buy on it's own, or which comes as part of a HH set. Then it's a simple matter to use sandpaper to sand down a regular matching silver coin to also nest in the [. Use the c/s insert as a guide to get the regular silver to the exact size. I did one the other day from part of a Johnson HH set, and a regular clad Kennedy half. Perfect Smile

BW

Steve
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I have a few Sun & moon routines ! I would to have to look them Up !!! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Tricks using both a C/S & a shell? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL