The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring and String/Ribbon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
I love the ring on and off the string effect. In my earlier performing days I used to do this at almost every table where I was working. I used to use the Greg Wilson routine and presentation. However, since then my thoughts on magic have changed and IMO advanced. My problem is that I now cannot think of a justifiable presentational reason for the props or effect hence it is currently retired from my performing set.

What presentational angle do you use for this effect?

BTW I use a ribbon for this rather than a string or shoelace.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
I had the same thoughts when I put it on my program, but after a few weeks of audience testing I realized that the effect surpasses the need for justification. It's simple, recognizable objects and the magic begins so fast that there really isn't any need to explain why you put a ring on a string.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I think Johnny Ace Palmer has a fantastic walk-around formula that incorporates the ring & string. When I do walk-around I very much rely on some of the same methods Palmer uses. It gives a logical progression.

As well, I agree with broothal about the effect surpassing the justification. While an effect seems stronger when some form of justification is given, it isn't necessarily always a must.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring and String/Ribbon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL