The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Houdini's Last Trick - Peter Eggink - A Review (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RCarruth
View Profile
Veteran user
Spartanburg, S.C.
341 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
Houdini's Last Trick - Peter Eggink - A Review
Gimmicks and Online Instructions

This is the Ad Copy:
From your wallet you remove a picture of the Great "Houdini" - everyone is familiar with the fact that Harry Houdini was the world's greatest escapologist and still is a huge inspiration to every magician in the world.

You begin to tell the story that you've shot this "instant" picture from an actual picture of the iconic magician, during your visit at the "Houdini Museum": Analog pictures are known for their ability to capture energy and other spiritual phenomena.

You are introducing your spectator to "Houdini's famous card trick": You explain that Houdini would have a spectator think of any card and then magically revealed the chosen card in his breast pocket of his jacket.

Here is where the experiment starts... the spectator holds the picture in between her hands to "connect" with the master magician's energy (or the picture can be set aside so no one is able to touch it again).

Next, ask your spectator to memorize any card from the deck.

As if Houdini's spirit actually came through, your spectator feels a strange sensation...when you ask your spectator to open her hands and take a close look at the picture again, eerily and magically their chosen card has now appeared and is revealed inside Houdini's breast pocket in the photograph!

In the end the photo may be fully examined.Houdini's Last Trick comes complete with the ready to go gimmick, photograph and online instructions.

This is really a beautiful, brand new rendition of Peter's ingenious "Ghost-Tag" which was a blockbuster release 15 years ago.

"Houdini's Last Trick" opens up for a great patter and emotionally involves your spectators throughout the routine with an nostalgic, spiritual feel to it.

You will LOVE this.
Special engineered gimmick!
Self working!
EERY and MAGICAL card revelation!
Fits inside your phone case or wallet!
Always ready to go!

My Thoughts:

I have a soft spot for effects that appear truly magical. Sometimes one needs a bit of science to pull that off. Houdini's Last Trick has the gimmick and the story to add something very unique to your routine.

First, although magician's say anything can be performed for a large audience with proper presentation, I would recommend this effect for close-up and walk around. It's great for restaurant work too. The gimmicks are fairly small, and the visual is even smaller, and perform best in small groups.

As described in the ad copy, the performer tells a story of Houdini and a photograph the performer took at the Houdini Museum. He relays a story of an effect supposedly made famous by Houdini, where Houdini ask a spectator to name a card... and then pulls that card from his jacket pocket.

The performer introduces the photo and a deck of cards. The ad copy implies the spectator has a free choice of any card in the deck. Actually, the spectator has a free choice where he/she cuts the deck.. or something similar that allows the spectator to find a specific card.

After a card is selected, the spectator holds the photo in his hands, and after a few seconds sees his chosen card slowly appear in Houdini's breast pocket. It's definitely magical and will stun your spectator.

I don't think it's a big secret that the power of thermal technology is at work here. Holding the card in the hand causes the card to appear. It's been used in other effects to one degree or another, and I think this is one of the very best uses I've seen. I think the idea of using the Houdini photo is smart thinking and will resonate with the audience.

I'm going to show my age here.. I had to use a magnifying glass to see the identity of the card in Houdini's pocket. Like the markings on some marked decks.. some of us have a little trouble reading small print. Having two pictures, one gaffed and one not, lets me show the ungaffed picture beforehand and lets the spectator examine it with the magnifying glass to their hearts content.

Personally.. I give the spectator a deck of cards, direct them to a cross cut force, and I remove the top half for them after the cut. While they are looking at the top card of the 'bottom' half.. I apply a small piece of two sided tape to the top of the packet in my hand. I drop it on top of the half on the table and ask them to drop their card on top of the entire deck. I get them to cut the deck a couple of times. Now, I ask them to hold the deck at eye level and look at the side of the deck. I ask them to give the deck a little squeeze and estimate the thickness. (..about a inch ). I ask them to cut it another time of two and bring it to eye level again and give it another squeeze. I try to convince them the deck looks slightly thinner, maybe by just a card or two. I get them to turn the deck face up, spread it, and find their card. They can't. I haven't touched the deck. After a little patter, I get the spectator to take the magnifying glass once more and examine the Houdini picture. There's his card ... in Houdini's pocket. This adds a vanish, in the spectator's hands, to an already strong trick...

The photos are quality, the teaching is thorough, and you should get many performances from the gimmicks. Again, I like to see technology used in magic. It adds a little something rarely seen by the spectator. I recommend this for Roadshow readers.

$39.95 From Murphy's Magic and all their associates...
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=67674
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I gave my thoughts on this in another thread. I think it is absolutely horrible for many reasons. Old, unreliable technology that is totally unnecessary for an effect like this. The out to lunch principle would have been much better and actually reliable. The image starts to fade in under ten seconds which is an even bigger problem given that the card is very small and somewhat blury. So people will need to stare at it to be able to tell what card it is. Spectator with cold hands? Forget about it. Want to do the card box version? Forget about it unless you buy something extra on Amazon and dedicate a card box. I honestly don’t see any pro doing this. Mine went straight into trash can. Not even worthy of the junk drawer IMO.
RCarruth
View Profile
Veteran user
Spartanburg, S.C.
341 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
Thanks for your feedback. I gave my solutions to your objections.. including a magnifying glass and hand warmers. Plus, my handling as described works well for me. It's a matter of style I suppose. This definitely works best as a one on oner performance...
BORNBORG
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of BORNBORG
The online site to get instructions IS NOT WORKNG TONIGHT Just got it today for a show tomorrow. Please call or text as to how to do it at 248-763-4737
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On May 16, 2022, BORNBORG wrote:
The online site to get instructions IS NOT WORKNG TONIGHT Just got it today for a show tomorrow. Please call or text as to how to do it at 248-763-4737

WOW! Cutting it close, lol.... Hope it all worked out for you!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
RCarruth
View Profile
Veteran user
Spartanburg, S.C.
341 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
I would suggest calling Murphy's. Unfortunately, I can't share instructions.. Sorry.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On May 16, 2022, BORNBORG wrote:

Well???? What did you end up doing?
Check out Bafflingbob.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Throwing the trick out I hope.

Another bad egg from eggnick.
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
302 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
I got this and although the idea is clever, and the story line about Houdini is good... But the gimmick is rubbish! Sooooooo small it really is difficult to see, not only for old geezers like me, but my wife who has 20/20 vision struggled to see the card that appears. The final straw came when I performed it to 3 friends yesterday, once the reveal was done, the 2nd mate wanted to look at the picture too, then the 3rd. As each took a few seconds to register their eyes on the small card and acknowledge my correct prediction, by the time it reached the 3rd mate it was very faint, he said where is it, as I took it from him the card had vanished!! LoL. They all guessed it was some kind of hot and cold principle!
As mentioned, maybe on a one on one, and a quick look it may fair better. Sorry, this one goes in the bin, too unpredictable (no punn intended!!!) and too SMALL!!!!!!
Just my opinion!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Has to be one of the worst releases of the last decade…and that’s saying a lot because there have been a ton of crap releases (many by Eggink)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Houdini's Last Trick - Peter Eggink - A Review (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL