The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Does anyone know.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Are two effects described in Encyclopedia of Silk Magic volume 4 available for sale anywhere? The two effects are: (1) Silken Butterfly by Ian Adair (vol. 4, pp. 1771-1772), and (2) Mis-Made Bouquet by Warren Stephens (vol. 4, pp. 1806-1808). [The last effect I can do myself as long as I can find the corresponding silks but the first involves constructing (not one of my strengths)something fairly simple.] I've tried doing a search using Google but to no avail. I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks!

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Silken Butterfly was on the market about 20 to 30 years ago. I had one, sold it, and reaquired another a fews years ago (minus the silk vanishing cup that came with the marketed version).

You may be able to contact Warren Stephens through another member in his IBM Ring by visiting the following link to find out if he or anyone else marketed the bouquet:

http://windsormagiccircle116.homestead.com/OurMembers.html

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Thanks, Terry. I will follow up with the link that you sent me.

Jimmy
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Jimmy, If you have no luck in contacting Warren. I will look over the effect and see if it is something I could make up for you.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Thanks, Richard! I will be in touch. I'm looking forward to the Bamboo Surprise and the Hoopla routine.

Jimmy
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I believe the Silken Butterfly was sold by Abbott's in
Colon, Michigan a number of years ago--this might be a starting point for your search.
darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
130 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
I see this post is pretty dated now, but I spent some time recreating this effect from memory. I bought the Abbott's version around 1970 or so, then sold it when I liquidated all my magic props in 1978. But I always thought it was a neat effect so I rebuilt one from memory. It wasn't difficult finding the wood, silks, and rainbow silk, but I had a terrible time painting the thing and getting a butterfly outline painted on the stand. I'll bet I painted that thing a half-dozen times before I thought it looked good enough to use in public. I tried to recreate the cup but couldn't pull that off, so I just use a change bag now.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Well, you definitely got further than I would have, Daryl. I was lucky enough to have gotten a Silken Butterfly..... and, if memory serves me, I believe I bought it from Terry Holley. The cup always seemed interesting to me but just I used a p**l. I may perform it in June for a group of second graders but this time I will just use a paper bag that I will blow and pop.

Jimmy
darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
130 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
I wanted to share this image of the Silken Butterfly that I created from my memory of it from 35 years ago. I have a Word document with more photos showing front and back views. If you are interested in seeing that pm me your email and I will send you a copy.

Click here to view attached image.
darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
130 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
I got some good advice on how to insert photos directly into the message area, so I am attaching a few images of my Silken Butterfly here.

Here is the frame.

And here it is loaded with silks.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Very cool. I like it a lot.

I will pm your. Thanks for sharing.

Jimmy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Does anyone know.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL