The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Steve Beam's Underhand Shuffle (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Hi,
I am interested in advice on Steve Beam's UNDERHAND SHUFFLE.
I bought the booklet a few weeks ago, because I kept reading positive comments in various thread on the Café - but couldn't find a thread dedicated to this specific shuffle.

I have been playing around with it on and off for a few weeks, and getting very frustrated. Is it actually worth persevering with? The booklet includes lots of variations and applications - the versatility is the only reason I am even considering sticking with it.
Do you actually use this? Is it a great utility as promised (like say the Cull?) How long does it get to get reasonably proficient?

My main problems are -

1. Steve admits it is more like a series of cuts than a normal overhand shuffle. He says you need to develop a 'rhythm' that is similar to an overhand shuffle. To me it feels SO different I don't know how that is even possible. (I have searched in vain for video demos of anyone actually doing it).

2. He says you can maintain a break against your left index finger with an OUT jog of about 1/4 inch. I keep losing the break even when I make the outjog massive (over 1/2 inch).
I have also tried IN jogging & using my pinkie, but getting same problem.

I would love to hear from anyone who has any advice.
Thanks
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
I would reach out to Steve via his website. He used to have videos on his site and he had one of that specific shuffle. Since you are a purchaser, I'm sure he'll try to help.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Ok, I will try to contact Steve.
Still interested in other people's thoughts though...
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1945 Posts

Profile of Claudio
A long time ago, I attended Steve’s lecture where he demonstrated, among other things, his false shuffle. In his hands there’s no doubt it’s deceptive. BTW, I was impressed with his chops, though he performs mainly semi-automatic card effects.

I learnt it from his books SACT 2 & 3. I can do a decent one. I mainly use it to transfer the top card to the bottom instead of a double UC.

Here's a tip that helped me:

When you throw the first packet, make sure that the outside of the tip of the left forefinger makes contact with the face of the packet and keeps contact through out. Watching my handling, I realised that my forefinger and thumb pinch the first packet and pull it down and out a bit (outjog) so that the forefinger tip makes easy contact with the packet face. I also make sure that my RH 2nd fingertip makes contact with the face of that first packet with each next packet taken from the bottom. Performed this way, there's no need for a break.

It might me something that’ll work for you. In any case, you’ll have to adapt the handling to your own hands.

I also use an injog, sometimes, this way. When I drop the first packet, it's aligned with the talon, but my RH injogs in the process the last card(s) of the packet. My left pinky tip makes contact with the face card of the packet. It's a discrete preparatory drop, if you like. I then carry on with the shuffle. It works very well for me.

Keep at it, it’s well worth it IMO.

PS: As I said, I don't have the booklet (which must be more detailed) but I learnt the Underhand shuffle from his SACT series.
ipe
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of ipe
Hi Nikodemus,
I have noticed it is better with an injog instead of an outjog for me. A generous injog without fingers: you are going to cover it in a second, so I don't think an ample injog is a problem here.

However, I found the best handling for me is to curl my left index finger on the back of the top card to keep the break. In this way I can do the shuffle without looking at my hands in a relaxed way, with no risk of losing the separation.
What would a real mindreader do?
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
383 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
Thank you for taking the time to explain your handling, guys.
Protect me from my friends, I'll deal with my enemies.
ipe
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of ipe
Hi Nikodemus, in this post (https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=701209&forum=2&155&start=140#14), I posted a proposal than can solve some of your problems with the Underhand Shuffle.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I also use certain variations of the shuffle and have seen Steve demonstrate many of its applications in person and in his hands it is a thing of beauty!

Your problem with outjog (and since you have same problem with injogs) sounds just as a lack of practise. After all it is a move most of us are not customed to use. I read it years and years ago from Harry Lorayne book but didn't really put any work into learning one until Bill Malone mentioned in his penguin live that he considers it superior to injogs because Steve Forte had come up with that conclusion. So I started to work on the shuffle and finally last spring the Forte books came out and they had lots of Forte work on the outjog shuffle. But basically with a little practise it is as easy to keep outjogs as it is injogs. Maybe just focus for few weeks of doing outjog shuffles. The jog cant really go anywhere if you are contacting the card with your finger since the cards underneath it shoudnt be able to move.

Also, Steve will for sure help you if you just send him email!

Sincerely

Juha-Matti
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Is there a video anywhere showing Steve Beams Underhand Shuffle? Sometimes a visual makes a big difference for people trying to learn.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
You can find almost anything on youtube. Usually with the tutorial, but in this instance, just a demo.

https://youtu.be/UPmy1SLfX1g
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of magojose|
I've working on it for a while and it's a great move to learn.
It´s easy and has a flow that you should work it out in order to do it nonchalantly, wich I think is the key point of the move, because you have an advantage over other moves like the cull that you've mention: it's a shuffle!! so it has a powerful outern life wich adds cover. I mean, when you do an Over Hand Shuffle you're shuffling but when you do a cull you are openly going trough the deck and the cover for this must be strong enough to take away the focus of the main action of searching, not just be fast, when you shuffle (real or false) you're shuffling and that's the action wich must be bond at spectators minds. Doing it on the off-beat also gives you cover.
Also there´s more little touches for enhance his deceptiveness but they relies on your personal style rather than finger technique
As state above, the outjog should be rehearse in order to be done smooth as an in jog, but with a little bit of practice you can get it

Hope this thoughts will be helpful!
ipe
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of ipe
Since January I continued to practice with (what I called) the "Greek Underhand Shuffle". Now it is my favourite full-deck false shuffle. I recommend it to everyone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Steve Beam's Underhand Shuffle (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL