The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Sphere Plauing cards - Magic Encarta (a Magic Portal review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Sphere Playing Cards - Magic Encarta
$15.00
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=65899

The Hype:
Inspired by the traditional art form of moulding multi colored lac using heat, compression and rolling techniques, Magic Encarta is proud to present Sphere Cards.

Sphere Cards is an embodiment of Minimalism, Elegance, Vivid and Uniqueness that will make you not wanting to keep them down. It's perfect for fans, displays, packet cuts, spreads, spins and looks eye catching even if it's just kept on the table!!! The deck also hosts a unique border with an all-white back design with a sphere in the center.

Key Features:
52 playing cards
2 Jokers
2 custom gaff cards
Poker sized playing cards
Printed by The United States Playing Card Company
Printed on crushed stock
Air cushion finish
Printed in the USA
Designed by Vivek Singhi
Limited edition of 2000 decks, no reprints ever

My Take:
Magic Encarta is known not only for its beautiful decks but also their cardistry products. If you like to try the multiple part cuts they offer trainers. Trainers are five solid pieces which, when put together, are the same thickness as a normal deck of cards. The advantage here being that the sections are solid and will not break apart thus making the only thing you have to worry about when practicing your cuts is the mechanics. The blocks stay solid.

Videos of cardistry moves and magic tricks also make up a significant portion of the Magic Encarta website. However, in addition to this, Magic Encarta offers a nice selection of custom made decks of which Sphere is one. The cards are printed by USPCC so right away you know they are of good quality. I have found them to be fairly easy to faro right out of the box on the first time.

One thing I found unusual was the graphics on the face of the cards. Every one is the same, nothing different for either face cards or Aces. All have a multi-colored circle surrounded by a multi-colored ring. The exact same thing is on the back of the cards except no value and suit are printed. When a card is turned face up and inserted into the deck, it becomes very visible once the deck is spread out.

Also included are two jokers featuring the same graphics and two gaffed 2 of clubs. These both have the usual graphic on the face but the back of one has only the circle and the back of the other only the ring. The downside to this is that no instructions are provided for using these gaffs.

Like a lot of decks like this, I feel this is mainly slanted towards collectors (only 2000 decks will ever be printed) and cardistry fans. Obviously the deck can be used for magic routines, too, but I feel it will will be of much stronger appeal to the collector and cardistry crowd.

Nice quality deck. Cards handle well. Priced similar to other new decks. The graphics are a little sparse for my taste but they could be just the thing for you. One thing the older magi might be reminded of is a pack of Lucky Strike cigarettes which looks remarkably similar to the design of the Sphere deck.
( https://www.ciggiesworld.ch/product/lucky-strike-original/ )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Sphere Plauing cards - Magic Encarta (a Magic Portal review) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL