The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Did the Hathaway Card to Balloon Come in Different Card Sizes? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Does anybody know if Hathaway made their card to balloon device in multiple sizes.. Bridge, Poker and one that fit both..or did they just make one version that fit both?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I believe each would accommodate poker size cards and, logically, bridge size, too.

Bear in mind the apparatus came in at least four varieties: The set in the wooden box with the upright that breaks apart for packing; the upright apparatus (doesn't break down) with no hallmark; the upright apparatus with a Sedgehill hallmark; and the upright apparatus with a Hathaway hallmark.

This is a wonderful apparatus because the SIGNED card appears in the balloon with virtually no sleight-of-hand on your part.

Julie
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Thanks for replying to my question Julie..

I have been on the hunt for one. I had thought they would all fit Poker Size but I emailed a fellow that had the boxed set and he said his only fit Bridge size cards and that they made two sizes. I could not tell from the photos so before I shell out the money I was trying to confirm that they all would fit poker size cards.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
For whatever it's worth, we currently own all four varieties as described above and each accommodates poker size cards in a poker size box. Of course, that's not to say there never was a bridge size version. At one time bridge size cards were the "standard" in the world of Magic.

In passing, I would suggest you avoid the apparatus made in India. I don't remember what size cards those will accommodate, but there's no comparison to the weight & feel of the Hathaway prop(s).

Happy Hunting!

Julie
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Update: Just to be sure, I've physically checked each Hathaway apparatus and each does accommodate a poker size deck.

However, the boxed set did come packed with a bridge size deck. It might be a good idea to ask the owner of the set you are contemplating purchasing to verify that a poker size deck will fit his apparatus...

J
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Julie,

That is interesting, the pics the guy sent me showed the boxed set with a set of bridge size cards as well so maybe he is assuming it only fits that size card. It is hard to really tell by the pics but to my eye it looks like it would hold a Poker size but when I first asked him he said it was for bridge size.

Thanks so much for your kind help..I have emailed the guy again but haven't heard back as of yet.

I agree with you that the current production ones are very flimsy and would not stand up to any real use which is why I am hunting one..Abbott made a wooden framed one years ago that folded down but they don't turn up very often.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Was Abbott's a bonafide SIGNED Card In Balloon?
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Yes here is a description of the Abbott's one..

"A spectator chooses a card, signs it and puts it back in the deck. You put the deck under the balloon and you give the spectator a magical wand. The spectator makes the balloon explode (without your intervention) : the chosen card is inside the balloon."

I haven't actually handled one but from the pictures I have seen it looked like the secret itself was similar but the frame was different and it was made of painted wood with some decals and folded flat for carrying.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Julie,

I heard back from the guy and had asked him if he would actually try a Poker sized deck and he confirmed what you said that it will fit either. He had assumed that it was Bridge size because that was what was came in the box.

Thanks for all your help...

Regards

Gary C aka The Great Scungilli
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi Gary,

That's great news. After you've had a chance to work with it awhile, please let me know how much you LOVE it!

Julie
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Hi Julie,

Will do.

It is on its way so it should be here by next week if the Post office co-operates.

I do a four illusion opener with balloons and wanted to make this illusion the fourth in the sequence so now I can.

Regards,

Gary C
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Julie,

It arrived yesterday, expensive but very nice. Do you use the card case method for the cards or do you just place the deck into the holder. I have always just used the deck but the instructions say to put the cards into the case.

Regards,

Gary C
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi Gary,

I've always used the card case. It is easy-to-do and adds another layer of mystery for anyone trying to come up with the method IMO.

Congratulations on an excellent acquisition!

Julie
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Hi Julie,

Thanks for all your help on this..My opener is series of a balloon illusions and I wanted to add this effect as the last one of the set. I'll need to practice using the card case to get it smooth.

Best Regards,

Gary C
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Did the Hathaway Card to Balloon Come in Different Card Sizes? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL