The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » P.O. Box by Nick Diffatte (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I looked and looked, and didn't see a post for this.

The P.O. Box by Nick Diffatte (US Quarter) A bottle cap tha"I usually don't like coin boxes, but I could actually see myself using this!" -John Lovick

The P.O. Box ("Plastic Organic Box") is Nick Diffatte's complete remodeling of the classic German Coin Box. The P.O. Box is designed to look like an ordinary white bottle cap and manufactured in high quality, heavy duty plastic. Now, instead of looking like a magic gimmick, it looks like an organic object that can be easily rung into a causal performance situation without suspicion. The video instructions include multiple variations and Nick's personal favorite handlings to get you started on the path to creating your own routines in no time! (Made for US quarters.) It lets you perform miracles with coins. Comes complete with Nick's personal routine.

Link:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/15188
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have this and I REALLY LIKE it. The instructional video is pretty good. He teaches some rather traditional coin box routines, but also has a routine with the coin box under a glass that is very unique. One caution about the glass routine is he says you have to experiment with the right surface and the right glass. That limits an impromptu performance of that routine.

One thing about this is that to me it looks better when you have five quarters in the box, not four. For those of you who are familiar with the Boston Box, you know what I'm talking about.

It seems to be very well made, looks like it was 3D printed.

This is definitely a worker. I can't imagine using any other form of coin box in a casual setting after this. I performed with it a couple times where I asked to borrow some quarters and then pretended to pick up a soda cap from the floor.

It is an excellent "organic" prop.

KJ
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2021, 1KJ wrote:

I performed with it a couple times where I asked to borrow some quarters and then pretended to pick up a soda cap from the floor.

KJ

I ordered this last week and should arrive today. I have a couple routines I like to do with a couple gaffs and borrowed quarters. Although borrowing any type of money, coins or bills, is quickly becoming less and less common simply because fewer people carry any.

Sorry KJ, but that line about picking a cap up off the floor cracked me up. “Oh well looky here, exactly what I need just happens to be lying on the floor. Wonder how long that’s been there?” LOL

I thought you were going to say you removed a cap from a water bottle and switched it while looking for quarters, but I think I like your method even better, except I’d be laughing too hard I think. “What, you didn’t notice that cap on the floor?” Oh, and here’s a fifth quarter right next to it so we can use that too”. 😂

Could be an idea for an entire set, where you pretend to find all of your props on the floor. Ok, sorry, I’ll stop now. Just being silly because I’m still ROFL!
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
I like this, but I'd opt to have two so the entire cap could be seen, then switched.
BernieSantos
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of BernieSantos
What a great bit of thinking, making the coin box out of something 'organic'.

Is it only available from Penguin?
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2021, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2021, 1KJ wrote:

I performed with it a couple times where I asked to borrow some quarters and then pretended to pick up a soda cap from the floor.

KJ

I ordered this last week and should arrive today. I have a couple routines I like to do with a couple gaffs and borrowed quarters. Although borrowing any type of money, coins or bills, is quickly becoming less and less common simply because fewer people carry any.

Sorry KJ, but that line about picking a cap up off the floor cracked me up. “Oh well looky here, exactly what I need just happens to be lying on the floor. Wonder how long that’s been there?” LOL

I thought you were going to say you removed a cap from a water bottle and switched it while looking for quarters, but I think I like your method even better, except I’d be laughing too hard I think. “What, you didn’t notice that cap on the floor?” Oh, and here’s a fifth quarter right next to it so we can use that too”. 😂

Could be an idea for an entire set, where you pretend to find all of your props on the floor. Ok, sorry, I’ll stop now. Just being silly because I’m still ROFL!

Yeah, right? I like throwing in silly ideas into my routines.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2021, BernieSantos wrote:
What a great bit of thinking, making the coin box out of something 'organic'.

Is it only available from Penguin?

I think it is available in other places. Check your favorite magic shop.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
The old orange ones from the 70’s, I think, didn’t look the same on both sides with four coins inserted. This one doesn’t either. Someday, someone will take the time to make the measurements and get it right.
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Meir Yedid had them for sale a few week before Penguin
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
We are not related BTW lol
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
Jacob Hanley
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Jacob Hanley
Hey Friends,

Craig and Ryland just took a look at this in their latest review show.

https://youtu.be/qQN6ZDipdOE?t=59
Calvin826
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Darn- great idea, really wanted to get this but as a reviewer on Penguin pointed out, there are no threads on the 'cap', and they don't include an ungimmicked cap to ring in.

All the people this had to go through before it was released, and nobody thought to bring this up? Sloppy. I'll wait for PO Box v.2.
magikmax
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
113 Posts

Profile of magikmax
For anyone in the UK on the fence, your mileage may vary with US Quarters, however UK 10p coins fit perfectly. No discrepancy either end with four coins.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Just wondering can you do a monte effect with the cap ? were is the coin then bring it back when you need to under the cap.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On May 23, 2021, tophatter wrote:
Just wondering can you do a monte effect with the cap ? were is the coin then bring it back when you need to under the cap.

No, this will not do that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » P.O. Box by Nick Diffatte (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL