The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » I'm lost (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

erniep33
View Profile
New user
Marysville, WA
72 Posts

Profile of erniep33
Hello everyone. I was thinking about trying my hand at escapism (spelling?), but I have no idea where to start. This aspect of magic fascinates me and I hope you gentlemen/ladies can be of some assistance on where I could start my handcuffed journey. Thanks in advance.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Nothing beats books as a way to start.

I like the John Novak books (I have several), and the Hades Encyclopedia of Escapes. This is a good place to start on the technical aspects.

The really hard thing is being entertaining. I highly recommend Santini's "Entertaining with Escapes" book for this.

There are many helpful people here and you will no doubt get much good advice. Good luck!

Yours,

Paul
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I began my escapology journey with the humble strait jacket. I was doing a lot of street shows (as a juggler, not a magician) at the time and needed something to make me stand out from the other performers. Over time I drifted away from juggling and more towards the escapes.

If it's books and videos you want try Mark Cannons 21st Century Esacape Lecture available from him direct from http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.com. I have it and is very good. It has a nice piece on handcuffs too. You could also try The Earl on http://www.ealib.org which has a lot of great stuff from some of the best in the business.

Hope this helps a little,

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Try X-Treems manuscript "your flys down" its great!
erniep33
View Profile
New user
Marysville, WA
72 Posts

Profile of erniep33
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Lesee...I started with Houdini biographies and "Grant's Rope, Chain & Box Escapes." Later I read Abbott's "Escapes" book, "Encyclopedia of Escapes," "33 Rope Ties & Chain Releases," and varied works over the years by Prynce Wheeler, Norman Bigelow, Lee Jacobs, Ian McColl...then there's the school of hard knocks...and...well, you get the idea.

There's no specific place to start.

Good Luck.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Practice, practice, practice! I worked my way through college in a hardware store with a full repair shop. In addition to learning glass cutting, welding, small engine repair and sheet metal work I had the privelege of working with an elderly professional locksmith for four years. He taught me all of the skills he could; I even cracked a dozen safes with him. Then I joined the Army and was accepted into Army Intelligence School (then at Fort Holabird MD but now moved) where I got into SMOE/DASE training (Surreptitious Methods of Entry/Defense Against Surreptitious Entry) and met the best lockpicks and safecrackers going. When I left the Army, I had no choice but to pursue escapology: I only work with ungimmicked cuffs and padlocks. My two pieces of advice are: 1)spend a few years as an apprentice to a professional and 2)the older the appliances, the easier they are to manipulate yet are more impressive-looking. And practice! When you've done the escape 500 times in private and 100 in front of your friends and family, you're going to be okay in front of a paying audience. And read "Houdini: The Man Who Walked Through Walls" by William Lindsay Gresham. Houdini's challenges to police prior to his performances were a large part of his fame.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hi Craig, welcome to the Café and to the escape forum. That's quite an impressive background. I hope we see a lot of you on this board.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
My memory is incorrect: it was DAME (Defense Against Methods of Entry). DASE was "Defense Against Surreptitious Electronics" which was the "bugging-debugging" course. Sorry!

Thank you, Tony. A New York cop... cool!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » I'm lost (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL