The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » TCC Coins (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Degio
View Profile
Regular user
It took me years to get to
152 Posts

Profile of Degio
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2021, Chris Aguilar wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2021, Degio wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2021, Chris Aguilar wrote:
If you want/need a blackened Chinese coin, you can simply wait and that'll happen on its own (patina) or the TCC guys give you video instructions on how to do it quicker...

I am really curious about the technique suggested by TCC: anything new that has not been recommended before?

Can't say, as I'm not familiar with what has come before. Seems quite practical and would require purchase of some specific blackening agent.

Most common technique requires liver of sulphur. Others use bleach. For example see:
https://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=649714
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2021, Degio wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2021, Chris Aguilar wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2021, Degio wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2021, Chris Aguilar wrote:
If you want/need a blackened Chinese coin, you can simply wait and that'll happen on its own (patina) or the TCC guys give you video instructions on how to do it quicker...

I am really curious about the technique suggested by TCC: anything new that has not been recommended before?

Can't say, as I'm not familiar with what has come before. Seems quite practical and would require purchase of some specific blackening agent.

Most common technique requires liver of sulphur. Others use bleach. For example see:
https://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=649714

Neither of those. Different blackening agent altogether.
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
For those interested, I added a few photos of the TCC Sun & Moon Set to the google photos album.They did a particularly nice job on the shaved down HD which looks a lot better than the shaved down HD that comes with Josh Jay's Triad set.

inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Serious question Chris - now that you've seen what a good, clean, CSB insert looks like at a "non-Ferrari" price point, any change in your opinion w/respect to the quality of the Carpenter Coins sets and their chopped off letters?

Quote:
On Jan 10, 2022, Chris Aguilar wrote:
For those interested, I added a few photos of the TCC Sun & Moon Set to the google photos album.They did a particularly nice job on the shaved down HD which looks a lot better than the shaved down HD that comes with Josh Jay's Triad set.

Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2022, inigmntoya wrote:
Serious question Chris - now that you've seen what a good, clean, CSB insert looks like at a "non-Ferrari" price point, any change in your opinion w/respect to the quality of the Carpenter Coins sets and their chopped off letters?

I remain a happy owner of the Carpenter set, which includes Jack's fine routine and a whole extra gaff (Expanded HD).

On the much different Triad set (Also Vanishing Inc.) the shaved down HD is usable, but not great, looking kinda weird even face up, by itself. Still usable (Triad coins) but not optimal. The shaved HD from the TCC Sun/Moon set is appreciably nicer, which was my point of comparison (i.e. I wasn't comparing CSB sets).
fybd88
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of fybd88
I have several TCC coins set and it's more accessible in China than other international coins. Thus, I am not so qualified to compare the quality with other brands, but the tutorial of TCC coins really satisfies. Jay Wang himself recorded the tutorial and his sleights were beautiful and efficient.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2022, inigmntoya wrote:

I remain a happy owner of the Carpenter set, which includes Jack's fine routine and a whole extra gaff (Expanded HD).

The routine was never in question, nor the extra shell.
The main CSB gimmick is still the worst I've seen from anything made from real coins.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On the much different Triad set (Also Vanishing Inc.) the shaved down HD is usable, but not great, looking kinda weird even face up, by itself. Still usable (Triad coins) but not optimal. The shaved HD from the TCC Sun/Moon set is appreciably nicer, which was my point of comparison.

I just compared mine, and I agree, the shaved half in the TCC set looks better -- however, the comparison is apples and oranges.
The Triad coin needs to fit a shell made from an unexpanded Kennedy half (30.61mm outer diameter), while the TCC needs to fit an unexpanded English penny shell (31mm outer diameter).
Given that English pennies are larger than Kennedy halves, the coin for the TCC set doesn't need to be cut down as much. There's less than a half mm difference but that's a lot when eyeing the rim of the milled down Kennedy.

Of course the reverse is why English pennies are a poor choice (IMHO) for the insert coins of CSB sets like the one from TCC, Roy Kueppers, and others. You're taking a LARGER coin and making it fit an unexpanded shell of a SMALLER coin. At least there TCC cut down the "normal" EP to match, so within the set there's no discrepancy.

It's a trade-off. TRIAD (or similar) could have gone with a 2x shell, a 1x shell and a normal half and the insert would look perfect, but that would be more expensive to make, and there'd likely be issues with the appearance of the 2x shell.
At half dollar size, you just don't have a lot of rim thickness to work with -- even Triple Threats and 3CMs lose most of their rims on the inner coins in half dollar sets.
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
As long as the available commercially produced sets (Carpenter/ TCC / Kueppers /Johnson/ whatever) remains usable/fairly priced and deceptive to an average non magician (via viewing at regular distances/lighting/etc.) I couldn't give a rats ass about fractions of a millimeter here or there.

I now know to leave that silly minutia for the anal (fussy coin gaff collectors / "experts" on the Café) crowd to reliably obsess over at great, tedious length.

For the average magi, who doesn't demand Lassen/Schoolcraft "vacuum fit / infinity edges / etc" there's good value to be had from companies that mass produce these things. Johnson gaffs reamain very good (had to chance to check some out recently) but they can't even be arsed to get their website running in the last two(!) years. So, I'm very glad to see TCC giving them some competition for the gaffs, with some excellent tutorials also available. I got the tutorials free with the kickstarter, but at $15 I'd say they're still a good value.

I remain very happy with the Carpenter set (which has seen nice use with no issues at all) and the newer TCC CSB Set. I don't really need three good CSB sets (As I'm not a collector like many here), so I might eventually sell one of the Carpenter sets, keeping one Carpenter and one TCC set.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2022, Chris Aguilar wrote:
As long as the available commercially produced sets (Carpenter/ TCC / Kueppers /Johnson/ whatever) remains usable/fairly priced and deceptive to an average non magician (via viewing at regular distances/lighting/etc.) I couldn't give a rats ass about fractions of a millimeter here or there.

I now know to leave that silly minutia for the anal (fussy coin gaff collectors / "experts" on the Café) crowd to reliably obsess over at great, tedious length.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

I was simply explaining WHY there's a difference between the innermost Triad coin and the TCC coin, and WHY that's not a fair comparison.

YOU were the one comparing them, and
YOU were the one who NOTICED and CARED enough to comment on what is a fraction of a millimeter difference.

You just dissed yourself. 🤣
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2022, Chris Aguilar wrote:
Johnson gaffs remain very good (had to chance to check some out recently) but they can't even be arsed to get their website running in the last two(!) years.

Johnson has long been the best bang for the buck, but magic stuff is just a sideline. Their main business is making precision parts for the aerospace industry. When COVID hit, they shut down the magic business to devote that capacity to making parts for ventilators etc.

In the meantime, Adobe Flash was deprecated and support was dropped by mainstream web browsers. They still haven't announced a timeline for resuming the magic business so it makes no sense for them to bring the website back online at this time.

So yeah... You go right ahead and call them out for that.🙄
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Gaffus geekus can't help it, makes my point for me.

And dimmy? I never mentioned the *reason* I think my Josh Jay cut down HD looks a bit naff. You simply assumed (wrongly) it was size and then, um… in your rush to share your condescending "expertise" you never bothered to ask the right question. (hint, it WASN'T the size, had NOTHING to do with "millimeters", etc). If anyone wants to know my (slight) beef with the cut down Josh Jay HD, PM me, and I'll show you.

Geez, I wish these forums had a mute/block feature.

It would be so much more pleasant (and would probably raise the overall IQ of the stream) to have the ability to avoid bloviating "Café experts" telling us snit (at great tedious, often condescending length)that we already know, aren't even talking about, or frankly don't even care about.

So yeah, feel free to get bent rando "Inigo". Since the forums are somewhat feature free in terms of modern features, in the future, I'll just ignore you the old-fashioned way.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I don't want to get into the other debate Smile, but I will add two extra data points for Johnson:

1) While the top level page (https://www.johnsonmagicproducts.com/) has an adobe flash error, the product listings/page does (sort of) work: https://www.johnsonmagicproducts.com/shop/index.php
You can at least see their offerings, even if it says it's down for maintenance and you can't see listings/prices. But it's not quite as bad as the other issue.
Finding that link, however, is less obvious, and definitely not easy.

2) If you email them, they do have some things in stock, but it's pretty limited since they haven't been making them for a while, as inigmntoya
explained. They likely won't have a CSB set (which is pretty popular), but I did grab a quarter shell a few months back when I wanted an extra.
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Can you share the contact info? Their contact form is not working. Thanks.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2022, shakuni wrote:
Can you share the contact info? Their contact form is not working. Thanks.

As in the other CSB thread, I think a search would be useful for you here. There are a number of relevant posts/conversations, including this one: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&start=0
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Since TCC now offers the most common gaffs at the same (or better IMHO) price points as Johnson (with fast shipping - about 10-15 days) I'd say just go with them if you need something now and not worry about Johnson until they deign to at least update their website with some information about whether they plan to return or not.
juggler357
View Profile
New user
AUS
83 Posts

Profile of juggler357
Since TCC now offers the most common gaffs at the same (or better IMHO) price points as Johnson (with fast shipping - about 10-15 days) I'd say just go with them if you need something now and not worry about Johnson until they deign to at least update their website with some information about whether they plan to return or not.

Those coins look good Chris, I am going to order a set.
Once is entertainment, twice is education.
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2022, juggler357 wrote:

Those coins look good Chris, I am going to order a set.

Two people have told me (after seeing the photos of my TCC Artisan coins) that they bought complete sets are were very happy with them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » TCC Coins (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL