The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Elderly English gent cracks the best joke I think I've ever heard while doing a card trick. (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U17NfKdu4S4

It is 50 seconds in, but probably best to listen to the lead-up. Actually, the guy ID's himself as Peter Scarlett!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Jerry Hornak
View Profile
Regular user
Northwest Connecticut
132 Posts

Profile of Jerry Hornak
Lol, that was good. I liked the very droll way he just said it in passing. Thanks for posting it. Smile
Making Happy Memories for Children since 1980!
https://JerrysMagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not a bad joke, but man the card handling is just abysmal. Hard to watch!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I've no doubt Peter Scarlett, the man who created the Pimpernel (Notecase) Wallet, was much better when he was younger. But age seems to have seasoned his humor very well!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think a casual handling add to the mystery; see Lennart Green.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't think that at all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The casualness, the sloppiness if you will, needs to be a little more exaggerated perhaps, to convey to the audience that one is using no skill to perform the magic. The point is when one gets old and shaky one can forget about skill and prestige and instead use apparent clumsiness to one’s advantage.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nope.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Should have embedded it - no idea why I didn't think to.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If you cannot hide it, emphasize it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Still an interesting effect no doubt.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I daresay I don't get it, the "joke", that is.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Had his mother in law done in oil... "They left out the word burning". "Burning in oil" is the implication or inference not sure which.

I hope one day I live to be as old as that joke. Not a bad one per se but certainly not a particularly good one either.

If you don't "get" why it is funny, I can see that. As I said not particularly funny.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Laurie, after referring to his mother in law in the photo, he comments that they had her done 'in oils,' making you think that the family had a portrait studio do a portrait of her. Then he says, "They missed the word 'burning'..." meaning they wanted her boiled in oil but 'they' didn't do it because they missed the part about 'burning' Smile Smile Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
It's not just the joke, it is the teller and how it is told. When Peter told it, it was completely unexpected and I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

Everyone's mileage varies Smile

EDIT: looks like I started typing my explanation just before Danny finished his!

Quote:
On Mar 25, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:
Had his mother in law done in oil... "They left out the word burning". "Burning in oil" is the implication or inference not sure which.

I hope one day I live to be as old as that joke. Not a bad one per se but certainly not a particularly good one either.

If you don't "get" why it is funny, I can see that. As I said not particularly funny.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Elderly English gent cracks the best joke I think I've ever heard while doing a card trick. (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL