The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Expert At The Card Table (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ghost Counter
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, England
36 Posts

Profile of Ghost Counter
I took delivery of a new hardcover version of The Expert At The Card Table today. This is published by Charles and Wonder and edited by Marty Demerest. It has a full alphabetical index and errata. The only copy I previously had is a battered Dover Edition. The hardcover version is much thicker at 235 pages and has larger text and illustrations, thus making it a nice comfortable read and I think that this will become my main study book. The only disappointing aspect of the book is that the binding is glued not string bound. At the UK price of £28.78 it is rather expensive but after spotting it on Amazon, I couldn't resist the opportunity to own this classic in hardcover. My aim now is to give it some serious study. While I understand that not everything in the book is as valid today as it was in Erdnase's time, I feel that a large percentage of it is still relevant and there is much to learn from this classic text. After all, Dai Vernon allegedly learnt it by heart!
I wonder how many magicians are still studying and learning from this classic book.
copperct
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
93 Posts

Profile of copperct
Thanks for the heads up on this edition! My Dover softback has definitely seen some usage so it would be nice to add this (with larger pictures) to the collection.
Ghost Counter
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, England
36 Posts

Profile of Ghost Counter
My Dover edition is quite worn although I can honestly say that I haven't studied it in the absolute sense, more of a flick through and browsing through random parts. My intention now is to study it systematically, even the bits that don't seem as relevant today. Reading other forum's posts, it seems that a lot can be learnt from what appears on the surface to be a relatively small and out of date book.
I am really looking forward to settling down to some serious study, without any time limits.
Illusion77
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Just starting this book, looking forward to studying this classic - probably over several reads.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Expert At The Card Table (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL