The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Advice for MagiciansHow to make your magic memorable! (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Awesome gig the other night! This heartwarming event made me think about what truly matters during a show and it all clicked! Check it out and let me know if you agree!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhuQbAs7654
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
How do you best achieve this? I would love to know! Always looking for new ways to improve my magic!
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
582 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
One of the most memorable tricks I've seen done for laymen was in Vegas a few years back where the great Jeff Hobson had a terrific show for a short time at the Excalibur.

One of the first effects he did was borrow a one dollar bill, change it into a $20 (!) and return it to the spectator for them to KEEP!

Mind blow. But a $19 investment per show.

SO I thought and thought til my thinker had thunk, and came up with something I thought I could be memorable AND financially sustainable for a hobbyist...

I got twenty, 2 DOLLAR BILLS from my bank over a few months. Quite "magical" I thought.
I planned to do this trick 10 times for a walkaround show.

7 out of 10 spectators wanted their $1 bill back because they had never heard of a $2 and thought it was fake.

I still have some $2 Bills to remind me that a "magical experience" is truly subjective! LOL
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
By making the material emotionally resonate with the audience. There's a quote, usually attributed to Maya Angelou but I've not verified that, that goes, "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

So I always make sure to anchor the premises of my material in situations that will resonate with people in the audience. This is achieved through a mixture of personal anecdotes, symbolism, and universal experiences that people tend to think are personal and unique.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I am very glad you are addressing this issue. Perhaps some will pay attention and think of the Story Told After.
I have frequently spoken on the Café' about the 'affect' of magic rather than just the 'effect' and usually get shot down.

I, perhaps alone, feel that every performance has an affect on one or more observers. You may never see it or hear about it but it is there.

A sense of Hope? Joy of life? Willingness to tackle an 'impossible task," -- who knows

I do have the advantage of having had people come to me 30, 40, 54 years after a performance and tell others of the special moment in their life that I orchestrated.
The story they tell is rarely of what happened -- often even stronger magic than what I did, but both perceptions and memory change over time. it is all good.

So, I feel you do not go far enough in your message. Why limit the ability to have a positive influence on others to a magic performance?

Why not act in every human interaction as if what you do can have a positive AFFECT on the other person?
Since you do not know what that might be, the focus must be on avoiding doing anything the will detract or harm or confuse.

I am not talking about moral judgement or selling some religious notion, just doing little things that cause smile or wink or nod.
In some cultures folks do not say "hello" or "good day" sort of greeting. They say "I see you there."

I create an experience of unusual, mysterious and "inexplicable phenomena" everyday that has nothing to do with performing a gig.
I do not 'believe' this will have an affect on others, I 'know' it will.

This attitude caries over to when I do perform magic effects for entertainment or even create new effects for others.
My job is to orchestrate the dire for magic to occur so strongly that I can't mess it up.
The seeds of the Long Term Memory of astonishment and "must be magic" are always there. I just have to trigger them.

Just offering a possibly different spin on this affect issue. I am certainly not recommending anyone else adopt this attitude about magic.

But, perhaps some reader will give thought to how they interact with other people off stage as well as on.
If you can engender awe&wonder as a performer, why not as a person?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Quote:
On May 20, 2021, pulpscrypt wrote:
One of the most memorable tricks I've seen done for laymen was in Vegas a few years back where the great Jeff Hobson had a terrific show for a short time at the Excalibur.

One of the first effects he did was borrow a one dollar bill, change it into a $20 (!) and return it to the spectator for them to KEEP!

Mind blow. But a $19 investment per show.

SO I thought and thought til my thinker had thunk, and came up with something I thought I could be memorable AND financially sustainable for a hobbyist...

I got twenty, 2 DOLLAR BILLS from my bank over a few months. Quite "magical" I thought.

I planned to do this trick 10 times for a walkaround show.

7 out of 10 spectators wanted their $1 bill back because they had never heard of a $2 and thought it was fake.

I still have some $2 Bills to remind me that a "magical experience" is truly subjective! LOL

That is a great idea! Gifting something specially (even if just letting them keep their signed card) is great. I actually ran into someone on the street and they had a signed card in their wallet from a magician. People hold onto that stuff for awhile!
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Quote:
On May 20, 2021, funsway wrote:
I am very glad you are addressing this issue. Perhaps some will pay attention and think of the Story Told After.
I have frequently spoken on the Café' about the 'affect' of magic rather than just the 'effect' and usually get shot down.

I, perhaps alone, feel that every performance has an affect on one or more observers. You may never see it or hear about it but it is there.

A sense of Hope? Joy of life? Willingness to tackle an 'impossible task," -- who knows

I do have the advantage of having had people come to me 30, 40, 54 years after a performance and tell others of the special moment in their life that I orchestrated.
The story they tell is rarely of what happened -- often even stronger magic than what I did, but both perceptions and memory change over time. it is all good.

So, I feel you do not go far enough in your message. Why limit the ability to have a positive influence on others to a magic performance?

Why not act in every human interaction as if what you do can have a positive AFFECT on the other person?
Since you do not know what that might be, the focus must be on avoiding doing anything the will detract or harm or confuse.

I am not talking about moral judgement or selling some religious notion, just doing little things that cause smile or wink or nod.
In some cultures folks do not say "hello" or "good day" sort of greeting. They say "I see you there."

I create an experience of unusual, mysterious and "inexplicable phenomena" everyday that has nothing to do with performing a gig.
I do not 'believe' this will have an affect on others, I 'know' it will.

This attitude caries over to when I do perform magic effects for entertainment or even create new effects for others.
My job is to orchestrate the dire for magic to occur so strongly that I can't mess it up.
The seeds of the Long Term Memory of astonishment and "must be magic" are always there. I just have to trigger them.

Just offering a possibly different spin on this affect issue. I am certainly not recommending anyone else adopt this attitude about magic.

But, perhaps some reader will give thought to how they interact with other people off stage as well as on.
If you can engender awe&wonder as a performer, why not as a person?

Wise words as always! Thank you so much!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Advice for MagiciansHow to make your magic memorable! (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL