The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Linking rings with 3 solid rings? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
swood527
View Profile
New user
Boston
11 Posts

Profile of swood527
I recently saw an effect that used 3 rings without an apparent key ring. It was a Tick-Tock embedded in a YouTube video so tough to find the original. Does anyone know this effect?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Joe Porper Ghost Rings?
swood527
View Profile
New user
Boston
11 Posts

Profile of swood527
Good thought but this used standard linking rings and it did not look like he used a key ring. I'll locate the video and post it!
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
You might consider reaching out to Michael O'Brien here on the forum. He is a ring connoisseur.

swood527
View Profile
New user
Boston
11 Posts

Profile of swood527
That's the performance! Thank you! I will reach out to him.
Rac
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Rac
Winston Freer made a gimmick that clipped onto two solid rings to make them look linked together. Very rare and circulated in the underground back when he was around. I saw one years ago and can attest to it looking convincing, but at a slight distance. I don't have a photo of the gimmick but it was a clever piece of design and manufacture. Of course, the gimmick was made for a specific size of ring and could be easily palmed. The gimmick was a little clumsy to use and not much of a routine could be developed.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Two are 'linked' before this video starts... we never see them linking though, so let's focus on the third ring: the one that does all the action..

The third ring is a special ring that is completely solid (no key required) and was discussed in Fitzkee's book 'Rings in your fingers" back in the 1940's.

This concept was also a favorite with Cardini , who thought Fitzkee probably 'took his idea'. The only other person I've seen use this kind of ring recently, is Levent , in his 11 (or is it 13?) ring routine.

Apparently 'everything old is new again'

since this is an open forum, I won't go into any more detail
visit me @ JNealShow.com
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Matthew Garrett includes the needed props in his set. I believe that is what Michael is using in his video as they often collaborate. Watching Matthew or Michael work the rings is really something to behold. Impecible timing. And, as demonstrated by the below video,they have a lot of ringers in their bag of tricks. Smile

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Using thread to tie two rings together at two point to make them appear to be linked is a very old technique.

In a four ring routine I often start with all four linked together dangling from my thumb in a chain.
These are unlinked one by one and all four passed out to be held by spectators during the routine (their memory).

Seeing all four linked together at the beginning forges a perceptual bias that can be used throughout and overcomes suspicion before it arises (Preemptive Doubt).

My point is that having the observers "know" the rings are all linkable and solid is better than attempting to have them "believe" no gimmick is used.
Since some had a magic set as a kid with a key ring, or have access to Youtube they may believe or suspect a special ring is employed.
I choose to attack the suspicion first off without comment, just demonstration.

With a larger set and audience I have also had eight rings passed out to folks coming in as a means of finding potential volunteers. "If you might be willing to come onstage."
During the show I have them hold up the ring or pass it to someone else - actually using them as a volunteer selection tool, even teasing a looking at an effect through the "lens" to see the magic happen.
Eventually, I have one person gather up the eight rings and bring them onstage. A switch of part of the entire set is not difficult and the fun begins.

"A dozen or more of you handled these metal rings and warmed them up for me."

"Earlier, I noticed two young men over there trying to link a couple of rings together. They were using their right hands. A mistake. Let me show you ..."

"You all know that a ring is a portal. Magic can happen when one ring passes through another or they are brought together.
I had eight of you keep these rings far apart earlier. Now they have had time to get to know each other again ..."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
swood527
View Profile
New user
Boston
11 Posts

Profile of swood527
Funsway - That sounds like a really well thought out and creative routine. Thanks for sharing.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2021, funsway wrote:
My point is that having the observers "know" the rings are all linkable and solid is better than attempting to have them "believe" no gimmick is used.
Since some had a magic set as a kid with a key ring, or have access to Youtube they may believe or suspect a special ring is employed.
I choose to attack the suspicion first off without comment, just demonstration.

Chris Randall expresses very similar thoughts and structured his two ring routine accordingly.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2021, JNeal wrote:
Two are 'linked' before this video starts... we never see them linking

Another view with starting portion of simple routine.

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
That is BRILLIANT! Ya need a ring slightly larger, right?

Doug
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I'd go with that plan, Dougini!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I LOVE this! I gotta find me some of these!

Doug
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
I JUST saw this lol I am so sorry! I don't recall if I answered your question or not but this effect is indeed GiR by Matthew Garrett. There is a gimmick involved. Id foes NOT use a standard set of rings. Smile hope this helps!
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have one of the Winston Freer "Maxim Rng" gimmicks. It is made for a 10" ring.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2021, Dougini wrote:
That is BRILLIANT! Ya need a ring slightly larger, right?

Doug

Doesn't that depend on the added gimmick and how it attaches?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Without digging out the book, I believe the thread method is described in Al Baker's Magical Ways and Means.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2021, Michael Baker wrote:
Without digging out the book, I believe the thread method is described in Al Baker's Magical Ways and Means.

Yes. Al Baker used both a reel and the exact opposite gimmick from the above in his routines. Essentially the same method but implemented in reverse.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Linking rings with 3 solid rings? (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL