The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pick a false cut: Dai Vernon's Cold-deck OR Affas-gaffas OR Gamblers Triple Cut? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Roberto Giobbi covers three false table cuts towards the end of chapter 25 of Card College Vol 2 (page 389ff).
● Dai Vernon's Cold-deck Cut
● Affas-gaffas False Cut
● Gamblers False Triple Cut

Which is your personal pick and preference to use, and why?
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
They're all deceptive.

My preference is to complete the Vernon's Cold-deck Cut with the Affas-gaffas Cut: ie when the bottom packet has been brought to the top (1st paragraph p. 390), instead of a straight cut, perform Affas-gaffas. The sequence flows and is very deceptive. Admittedly you perform the Affas-gaffas from a break instead of a step, but I find this more deceptive and not much more difficult.

The Gambler's False Triple Cut has the merit to be very easy.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
IMO , the gambler’s false triple cut looks the most natural. I sometimes break it up by cutting forward after the first two running cuts.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2021, Claudio wrote:
My preference is to complete the Vernon's Cold-deck Cut with the Affas-gaffas Cut: ie when the bottom packet has been brought to the top (1st paragraph p. 390), instead of a straight cut, perform Affas-gaffas. The sequence flows and is very deceptive. Admittedly you perform the Affas-gaffas from a break instead of a step, but I find this more deceptive and not much more difficult.

This is brilliant. I think I've found my new favourite false cut.

With Vernon's Cold-deck Cut, it's good to square the deck and pause before doing the final single cut. Giobbi even suggests moving the entire deck forward, to make this more distinct from the initial triple cut. When you use the Affas-Gaffas finishing sequence instead, do you still square the deck and pause before the final Affas-gaffas? Or do you do the entire sequence as one set of uninterrupted cuts?
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2021, EndersGame wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2021, Claudio wrote:

This is brilliant. I think I've found my new favourite false cut.

With Vernon's Cold-deck Cut, it's good to square the deck and pause before doing the final single cut. Giobbi even suggests moving the entire deck forward, to make this more distinct from the initial triple cut. When you use the Affas-Gaffas finishing sequence instead, do you still square the deck and pause before the final Affas-gaffas? Or do you do the entire sequence as one set of uninterrupted cuts?

It's a matter of preference I believe. What I do at the end of the partial Vernon sequence is to slap the (original) bottom packet on top of deck. As my left thumb is lightly "biting" into the talon the break is almost automatic. This slap punctuates the end of the 1st running cut before going into the Affas-gaffas Cut.
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
I prefer the gamblers triple as it is the only one that mimics a normal cutting procedure. The Dai Vernon cut is also good but normally the deck isn’t cut immediately after a running cut. I wouldn’t use Affas-gaffas as it is more of a flourish in my opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pick a false cut: Dai Vernon's Cold-deck OR Affas-gaffas OR Gamblers Triple Cut? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL